calories, Protein, fat, carbs

Options
4'11"
Female
6 days a week (45 min) cardio
6 days a week (1 body part per day) lift light weight 20 + reps

Okay, I need some help... My head is going to explode with all the info on the web..... what should I set my...
Calories % & grams
Protein % & grams
Fat % & grams
Carbs % & grams

Please if someone can give me some advise I could really use it......Thanks so much....

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would just go with what MFP gives you. Although, I do generally get more than twice my recommended protein and I'm usually a little under on my carbs. But, it's working for me and I don't have to think too much or stress about it.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The MFP protein recommendation is very very very low. Bump it up to 30%. Daily calories, you can use the settings here once you put in your info.

About the weights - don't get stuck in chronic cardio. Read the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" on Amazon about high rep weight myths. The super high rep thing just doesn't make sense :)

I now train all my women clients to do heavy weights and low reps, just like the male clients. Guess what? Not one of them is all bulky!

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Answer me a few questions and I'll help you out.

1. What is your goal? Build Muscle (lean ) Lose weight? Tone?
    2. Age, Height and weight
    3. Are you stuck on that much cardio?
  • nickeymhughes
    nickeymhughes Posts: 115 Member
    Options

1. What is your goal? 110 lbs & Build Muscle
    2. Age, Height and weight ... 38 in 3 weeks, 4'11", and 123
    3. Are you stuck on that much cardio? no, not really.. I just get bored with lifting, but I want to build muscle... I don't care if I bulk up as long as it looks good =).. at 4"11" and a medium build I can't avoid looking alittle bulky. I did have back surgery 10 years ago so I can't over do anything. I have 2 cages, rods and screws in my lower back. I do have alot of pain in my leg, hip, neck and shoulders so as much as I would like to lift heavy, I get scared!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Ok, you don't have a lot of fat to burn off so I'm going to suggest a 40/30/30 ratio of Carbs, Protein and Fat. That will give you plenty of carbs for energy and a good amount of protein to build muscle.
    Your Basal Metabolic Rate is 1144 calories a day. (BMR is how many calories you burn in a day just living), Add 20% for activities like, breathing, laughing, walking, talking and so on and your maintenance calories is 1150+230=1380.
    Now to build muscle you need to have a calorie surplus. I would focus on eating 1500-1700 a day and watch your scale and make tiny adjustment. Also take pictures. We won't see the tiny daily changes but day 1 against day 30 pics will tell a different story. Building that muscle will burn away that little fat you want to lose. Just give it time and remember low weight and high reps of 12-15 to build lean non bulky muscle. If you don't have a good program might I suggest P90X classic routine. (you can do it modified to take away some of the intensity but if you're doing 6 days a week cardio you can do this. Also...cardio burns muscle. Keep your cardio to 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week and do HIIT style if at all possible.
    I hope this help you out. Message me if you have any more questions or want more help.

1. What is your goal? 110 lbs & Build Muscle
    2. Age, Height and weight ... 38 in 3 weeks, 4'11", and 123
    3. Are you stuck on that much cardio? no, not really.. I just get bored with lifting, but I want to build muscle... I don't care if I bulk up as long as it looks good =).. at 4"11" and a medium build I can't avoid looking alittle bulky. I did have back surgery 10 years ago so I can't over do anything. I have 2 cages, rods and screws in my lower back. I do have alot of pain in my leg, hip, neck and shoulders so as much as I would like to lift heavy, I get scared!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    To start with, I'd recommend the MFP suggested settings for calorie allocation and number of calories to eat.

Keep up the cardio, but consider adding intervals twice a week -- get after it and then slow it down, alternately and ramp up your intensity.

Talk to you doctor to ensure you know what you can and can't do in terms of weight training (and cardio) so you don't injure yourself and so you have a sense of confidence.

Then, slowly work your way into a good series of routines. Instead of working one body part each day, choose a region (e.g, lower body and include your legs and glutes), upper body, and abs/back. Give yourself 48 hours recovery between each region.

Track your workouts like you track your calories, so you will know you're progressing and so you'll know when to push yourself harder. But keep it easy at first since you have injuries to deal with.

Best yet, talk to a quality trainer in person with impressive (and recent) credentials and let them know what your physical challenges/limitations are and they will create a routine that is suited for you and they'll show you how to properly execute each exercise, so as to avoid injuring yourself.

Good luck!