Only lost .5 lbs my second week

Options
I lost 3 pounds my first week but only .5 my second week. This seems low, don't you think?

Replies

• gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Nope.. See my a loss is a loss.. 6 lbs last week, 1 this week. It happens.
  • saraeyster
    saraeyster Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Do not get discouraged, I had the same problem. I didn't lose anything my first 2 weeks and then Boom 8lbs lost in about a week 1/2. It may just be your body getting used to it. Best of luck to you:)!!!
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Nope, not bad at all! As long as you are consistently in the right direction, it's great!!! :) Slow and steady wins the race!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    THere is some natural ebb and flow. This is perfectly normal. Over time it all averages out.
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options
    Nope...small victories lead way to bigger ones. That is the most important thing to remember, and a loss is a loss no matter how small. Be proud of that and keep going!
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't always happen consistently. Its possible to have 2-3 weeks of little or no loss and then lose a bunch all at once. As GDunn said, a loss is a loss. You are doing fine!
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get you down. The fact that you lost at all this week is something to be proud of! Just keep up the good work and you will see the results :smile:
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Try measuring yourself in certain places every week too, scales could show a small loss but you might have lost an inch somewhere. They can be your best friend and your enemy the scales!

Any loss is great :smile:

Ben.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as ONLY .5 pound. You did not gain any this week and you didn't stay the same either. This really is a long road we are on. You will have weeks that you don't lose anything and maybe even some gaining weeks. You can achieve your goal as long as you stay true to what you are doing and working it with all you have. You can do this.

As a side note, the scale can be so fickle. Try taking measurements of yourself now while you are just beginning and re-take them every month or bi-weekly if you want. Those changes often are not reflected in the scale, but are HUGE victories and can make you feel better!

Hope this helps and Good luck!
  • mkrafick
    Options
    Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or personal trainer, however I have been working at losing over 50lbs the past year.

I had learned your body goes in phases, and in the first month gets kind of confused. It can think you are starving, so it will work hard to retain energy and fat stores. So going from a lot of loss to .5 is not suprising.

If you are counting only calories - you should average .5-1 lbs a week, if you are hitting the gym it can go higher to 3-4. Any more than that is unsafe. You also lose too much at once and your body starts eating fat AND muscle. We want the body to concentrate only on fat.

My trainer had told me it takes about 90 days before your body figures out it is safe to burn the fat at a good clip. So I was only losing .5-.8 lb a week for about 3 mo (which was frustrating). However I keep counting calories, eating 5 times a day to get my metabolism up, and went to the gym 3x a week.

After 90 days, my body figured out what it should do and I started shredding weight very quickly (1-3lbs a week).

So don't be too upset. If you maintained this pace a year you still lose 25lbs you wouldn't have in the past.
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Have a look at this topic

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

Some of the reasons why people loose weight the first week and then not as much the next week can be;

1). Loss of water
    2). As you exercise you will tone muscle - muscle weighs more than fat so whilst you have not lost weight you are still healtier.
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was a little disappointed with my weigh in today for the same reason. My goal is 2 lbs/week and I only lost .5 lbs last week after strict diet and exercise. It's a little discouraging but I attribute some of it to a psycho scale. I weighed before the shower, then somehow gained a pound while I was in there and then gained another when I put on my boxers. I think I need a new scale. Regardless, I have been told to look for other signs besides the scale so I am hoping my pants are getting a little looser.