calories & protein each day

Options
Hi Everyone!

I've only been on this site for a few days and, since everyone seems so friendly, I thought I'd ask a couple questions.

First of all, since the only "meat" I eat is fish, I've always been very concerned about how much protein I eat every day. Now that I'm logging all my foods here, I've noticed that I'm always a little bit over on my protein allotment. I'm curious if this is bad for my diet or my general health.

Next, I'm finding it hard to use all my calories per day. Yesterday especially - I had 300 calories left to eat after I'd forced myself have to have a couple extra snacks after dinner. Then I just felt done, you know? I didn't want to eat anymore! As long as I don't have that many calories left over every day, I'm assuming I'll be okay. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance, folks!

-Dee

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist.... but I think it is fine to go over on protein. As far as calories, make sure you are eating at least 1200 per day to prevent 'starvation mode'. :flowerforyou:
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein recommendation is low in my opinion, especially if you workout. I personally have consumed at least 100 grams of protein a day for the last ten years. When I am trying to put on muscle, I bump that to 300 grams per day. Can't over do the protein imo.
  • j5e5n85
    Options
    i dont use all my calories at all but i use this site as long as weight watchers and im always using all my weight watchers points, if you have a smart phone you can download the my fittness pal app and points list for weight watchers.
    so far i lost 8 lbs and i have 30 lbs to go, i want to get into a size 11/12 jeans, i use the wii fitness plus and its a good work out
  • rjulian20
    Options
    i asked the same question yesterday and got so many replies but the one that made most sense was this.....1200 calories does not mean "starvation mode"......your body can go into that at different calorie levels depending on how you've "fed" it the past few years. you can "reset" your body by eating every few hours (at least a little something between meals) because your body won't always tell you when it's hungry until it realizes you're definitely going to feed it & haven't.......THEN you can rely on those hunger pains. make sense?

as far as having calories left over.....i do the same. ive been having between 300 and 400 calories left over & it tells me i'm eating too few but i'm not hungry. if this keeps happening try a snack that may be loaded with something you're definitely going to average under for that day (healthy but maybe a little more carby than normal....or maybe peanut butter since its got good fat in it, high protein, and higher calories)

hope this helps!
  • rjulian20
    Options
    MFP's protein recommendation is low in my opinion, especially if you workout. I personally have consumed at least 100 grams of protein a day for the last ten years. When I am trying to put on muscle, I bump that to 300 grams per day. Can't over do the protein imo.

i was told that adult women should be getting between 80-100 grams/day of protein & i'm always over my protein count but was afraid to add much more in for the fear it will make me bulkier rather than skinnier. i was skinny growing up and began to weight train in high school & got lots of muscle mass....then in college when i became lazy....most of it turned to fat. any suggestions on how to slim down without bulking up?
  • sneakydee
    sneakydee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help, everyone! I really appreciate all the comments & advice :)
  • christinemorgester
    Options
    Hi Dee,
    I'm new to this site myself, but I've been using a trainer and just asked about protein intake the other day. She handed me a breakdown from the National Council on Strength and Fitness:

General Rules-

Protein intake should be about 10-15% of diet
    Daily requitements are dependent on physical activity requirements of the body
    Excess protein can increase organ distress and cause weight gain

Sedentary Individual- .8-.9g/kg of body weight (BW)
    Physically active- 1.0-1.2g/kg of BW
    Moderate intensity 3-4 days week- 1.1-1.3g/kg BW
    Endurance High intensity- 1.3-1.4g/kg BW
    Strength Training- 1.4-1.6g/kg BW

1 kg = 2.2 lbs so to figure out how many kg you are, take your weight in lbs and divide by 2.2, then multiply that by the above amount of protein per kg.

Hopefully this helps! :smile:

Christine
  • rawfitness
    Options

i was told that adult women should be getting between 80-100 grams/day of protein & i'm always over my protein count but was afraid to add much more in for the fear it will make me bulkier rather than skinnier. i was skinny growing up and began to weight train in high school & got lots of muscle mass....then in college when i became lazy....most of it turned to fat. any suggestions on how to slim down without bulking up?
  • rawfitness
    Options

• rawfitness
    Options
    It's nearly impossible to bulk up at a calorie deficit. By keeping your calories in check, consuming higher amounts of protein will enable to retain the muscle you have, thus giving you a fit/toned look once you are at lower bodyfat levels. The hormone testosterone is needed as well to add alot of muscle. Women just don't have enough testosterone in their system like males do, so "bulking up" should not be an issue.