Dieting and alcohol

Options
I have an event tonight where I know I will be drinking. I don't like beer so Bud Select, the 55 calorie beer or anything other "light" beer is not an option. Does anyone have any suggestions about low calorie drinks that do not include beer (unless it's cider beer)?

Thanks!

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    any vodka, rum, etc with a diet pop is between 60 to 80 cals. I love captain morgain's and diet dr. pepper or diet coke
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Drinking is the bane of me. Vodka is the lowest calorie alcohol at 60 calories/shot. Vodka and diet sprite or any other no calorie liquid is an option. :)
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just had a sour apple martini the other night and with 1 oz. vodka, 1oz. Sour Apple Pucker schaaps it was very yummy and 120 calories. I only had one so I could live with the calories. Cranberry juice and Vodka is another good one and low calorie.
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    I typically go for whiskey or anything else with no carbs or a minimal/trival amount of carbs. A few drinks is very easy to work into one's 'diet'. Enjoy yourself, but within moderation. Also, IMO, I would avoid drinks mixed with juices, etc! Have fun!
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Vodka and something diet

But I never drink it....I give in and drink beer every time
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the pp any alcohol with a diet pop would be best...no juice!

Edited to add...no margaritas! Loaded with calories and carbs. ;(
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I, unfortunately, drink like a fish, but have never paid attention to the calories I am drinking. This will be the first time I've drank since I started this a week ago, so I know I need to start paying attention. It's looking to be a vodka and diet sprite kinda night!
  • MrsKelly73
    Options
    I agree with most, Vodka is the way to go with Diet 7up
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My weakness is white russians....could drink them every night but haven't had any alcohol since New Year's day. I calculated the calories and it's scary how many I was taking in on a typical weekend. I know I'm going to break down one of these days but as long as I keep losing weight, it's really helping with my willpower.
  • fzyfrog
    Options
    Oh, a white russian!! Haven't had one of those in years, but they used to be my weakness too! Just like chocolate milk, lol.
    My weakness is white russians....could drink them every night but haven't had any alcohol since New Year's day. I calculated the calories and it's scary how many I was taking in on a typical weekend. I know I'm going to break down one of these days but as long as I keep losing weight, it's really helping with my willpower.
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    you and me both! I'm a beer lover so I only allow myself to drink when we go out w/ friends and I don't worry about calories since its only like once or twice a month
    Vodka and something diet

But I never drink it....I give in and drink beer every time
  • jterra
    jterra Posts: 3
    Options
    An Fyi about Alcohol,

Rather than getting stored as fat, the main fate of alcohol is conversion into a substance called acetate. In fact, blood levels of acetate after drinking the vodka were 2.5 times higher than normal. And it appears this sharp rise in acetate puts the brakes on fat loss.

A car engine typically uses only one source of fuel. Your body, on the other hand, draws from a number of different energy sources, such as carbohydrate, fat, and protein. To a certain extent, the source of fuel your body uses is dictated by its availability.

In other words, your body tends to use whatever you feed it. Consequently, when acetate levels rise, your body simply burns more acetate, and less fat. In essence, acetate pushes fat to the back of the queue.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    White wine is another option. I believe 4-5oz is around 100 calories or so. Also any flavored vodka and diet tonic is delicious!
  • fzyfrog
    Options
    Where is your half marathon HolyMac20?
    White wine is another option. I believe 4-5oz is around 100 calories or so. Also any flavored vodka and diet tonic is delicious!
  • fzyfrog
    Options
    Where is your half marathon?
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    The problem is that most restaurants do not have anything diet except for cola... makes me crazy. I had gestational diabetes and would have given anything for a diet gingerale when i was out, but you just could not get one!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Im the SAME way! Im ridiculously impressed with myself because I havent had a glass of wine since New Year's Eve. That's only 2 weeks of my life, but its a HUGE accomplishment considering A) the amount I drank over the holidays and B) the fact that I regularly finished at LEAST one bottle of wine per week (the BIG bottles), holidays or not.

I have a bottle of wine waiting for me in the fridge in the garage (if it was in the house fridge, i would have finished it already). I am tempted to have some drinks tonight, but I KNOW it slows my metabolism and I reallllly want to see weight loss again this week.

If Im gonna drink, Im gonna have a few...becase why would I waste 100 calories on one glass of wine? :) So i try to stick to vodka and tonics (zero cal) with two limes. They go down really smooth though.....so look out! :)

CHEERS!!!
  • ukredhead19
    Options

If Im gonna drink, Im gonna have a few...becase why would I waste 100 calories on one glass of wine? :) So i try to stick to vodka and tonics (zero cal) with two limes. They go down really smooth though.....so look out! :)

CHEERS!!!

This is so true for me too!!! I haven't had anything to drink since I restarted MFP because of this, I know it will blow my calories for that day. I know i'm going out next weekend, so I'm glad I found this post so I can plan ahead!
  • lduplessis
    Options
    Mmmm well, I would like to say Vodka..but I hate it, haha. I'm a fan of the "skinny *****" :) Malibu and Diet Coke :)
  • bp1140
    bp1140 Posts: 24
    Options
    I agree with the vodka & diet soda. I do not drink a lot, but when I want a drink, I want a drink! Plan ahead & enjoy in moderation@!