OCD Quirks and Irks

Options
TaraMaria
TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
Do you have anything that is totally random that you hate? Or have to do a certain way? Or a routine you have to do?

I HATE cotton balls. The kind you find in medicine bottles? Whenever I get a new bottle I can't open it, I have to wait for my husband to do it because the feeling just completely freaks me out!

I also HATE it when cabinet doors get left open. They have to be shut!

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I despise bee hives. Or wasp, or any kind of hive. Even patterns-on anything-that resembles a bee hive makes me want to puke! :sick:
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    Um, any liquid in a closed tub, container, or jar, I absolutely have to shake it a few times before I open it. ANYTHING... Even my contact solution, like I think it may have separated over night...:noway:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I can't handle anything between my toes. Those toes socks freak me out just looking at them.

My boyfriend can't touch wooden spoons.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I realllllllllly can't stand when people wait until the last minute to get into the correct lane. I immediately get into the correct lane, even if I won't be turning for at least 5 miles, because you never know what traffic or other impediments might get in your way if you wait to move over.

Also, mushrooms gross me out more than anything in the world -- other, perhaps, than feet. I can't understand why anyone would want to eat them. They are a FUNGUS. Athlete's Foot is a fungus. Eating a mushroom is like eating Athlete's Foot's dirty cousin.
    Ewwwwww!

I also have a thing about expiration dates on food. I know they are really "best by" dates, but I won't eat most meats or refridgerated products that are within two or three days BEFORE their expiration date - including eggs, which even I know is ridiculous because eggs stay good for a lot longer than the date on the carton - but I just can't help it.

Also, I hate ice in my water. No matter how clean and well-filtered the water was when it was made into ice, there are ALWAYS tiny little white floaties after the ice melts in the water, and it just grosses me out.

Tara - you would hate my house. My husband ALWAYS leaves the cabinets open. Sometimes I come home for lunch and he has opened EVERY SINGLE cabinet in the kitchen, even ones I know he didn't need to get into for anything (like the one with the baking supplies - he doesn't even cook, let alone bake, so he has no need to get into the flour). It doesn't really bother me, though. I sometimes close them but other times don't even bother since they'll be opened again soon anyway.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am aserver and i really really hate styupid questions. like, does thios come wtih toast. you read it on the menu, right? did it say "and a side of buttery toast"?? no. it didn't.
    Also, i hate fat customers who are ignorant. I'm a big girl, working on not bieng such. I have a customer who comes in and eats the lowest sodium thing she can find on the menu. it has 1230 calories! but, she swears that sodium is the number that matters for weight loss. Or the customers who like their bacon crispy because it has less fat (we deep fry it). It dosen't hav eless fat, its just crunchier fat.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I also HATE it when cabinet doors get left open. They have to be shut!

My fiance does this quite often, drives me bonkers!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I also have a thing about expiration dates on food. I know they are really "best by" dates, but I won't eat most meats or refridgerated products that are within two or three days BEFORE their expiration date - including eggs, which even I know is ridiculous because eggs stay good for a lot longer than the date on the carton - but I just can't help it.

I am the same way! well, not really before the expiration date, but if it hits the expiration date, I just can't do it!
  • feetypajamas
    feetypajamas Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Also, mushrooms gross me out more than anything in the world -- other, perhaps, than feet. I can't understand why anyone would want to eat them. They are a FUNGUS. Athlete's Foot is a fungus. Eating a mushroom is like eating Athlete's Foot's dirty cousin.

That made me laugh out loud! Scared the cat in my lap!

I can't stand when M&Ms or Reese's Pieces or candies like that scrape together in my mouth. I have to eat them one at a time. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. My mother used to freeze M&Ms, and then pour a whole handful into her mouth... Just thinking about it now... *shudder*
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options

Ewwwwww!

I also hate mushrooms and have explained it this way to people, but they don't get it.

For me though, it's really that I hate lights being left on. I am always walking around shutting lights off in my house and getting after others to shut the lights off in my house. Other people's houses it doesn't bother me so much.
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I lock my car incessantly. I'll get out at the store and lock the doors on my way out. Then I'll hit the clicker again and watch the lights flash on my car indicating it's locked. Then I'm about 10 feet away and I hit the clicker again and watch the lights flash on my car. Then walk another 10 feet and then wonder, What if I hit the "unlock" on the clicker and now the car is unlocked? So I "unlock" the car with the clicker and then relock it. It's cyclical. I can never just "run in" to the store. And, god forbid, my husband is in charge of the clicker -- "honey, are you sure you locked the car? Please please click it again. Again. Are you sure you didn't just unlock the car?" It annoys the hell outta him

Melanie
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Hmm I think the only thing I am OCD about is running out of something. When a bottle of shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper...etc. gets down to the half way point I HAVE GOT TO get another one in the house. It used to be I always had to have 2-3 in the house at all times of everything. I dunno why.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the feel of holographic cards. I get goosebumps even thinking about the scratching sound of running my fingernails down one. I hate when they put the holographic images on kid's clothes!

As far as OCD goes, I check to see if all my doors are locked a million times a day. Before I go to bed at night I check the front door at least three times, and then I go to the cellar to make sure the cellar door is locked, even though I know we haven't used it.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have a slight case of OCD I know it and happily admit it. When I eat M&M's I have to eat all the blue ones last, I can eat everything else first in no particular order but the blue ones have to be last. I also have an issue with my truck doors being locked and locking them 3 or 4 times before I even walk away from it. Clutter of any kind drives me nuts i have to clean it up wherever I am. On my desk at work there are certain things that have their spot and god forbid you move them when I am here. I am sure I have a ton more but these are just a few that I have thought of. :happy:
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    Whanever store i go into, i HAVE to go to my right and start my shopping there
    I dont know why :ohwell:
  • MrsMills712
    Options
    My alarm always has to end in :02, :12, or :22.

The feeling of fabric against my tongue gives me goosebumps. Just thinking about it while typing this did it to me.

I won't drink orange juice if the carton says "calcium" because in my mind I associate calcium with bones, and therefore feel like there are ground up bones in the juice. And whatever reason, orange juice is the only thing that bothers me. Anything else with calcium is fine. :-P
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have a slight case of OCD I know it and happily admit it. When I eat M&M's I have to eat all the blue ones last, I can eat everything else first in no particular order but the blue ones have to be last. I also have an issue with my truck doors being locked and locking them 3 or 4 times before I even walk away from it. Clutter of any kind drives me nuts i have to clean it up wherever I am. On my desk at work there are certain things that have their spot and god forbid you move them when I am here. I am sure I have a ton more but these are just a few that I have thought of. :happy:
    I can't eat M&Ms anymore because of my milk allergy but I could NOT eat the blue ones. In fact, I can't eat blue food. If you think about it, there is no such thing as a naturally blue food - even blueberries are more purple than blue - and I just can't eat anything blue. You would also hate my house, I am a pack rat and my husband is even worse - we have a LOT of clutter.
  • qtwells82
    Options
    Hmm I think the only thing I am OCD about is running out of something. When a bottle of shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper...etc. gets down to the half way point I HAVE GOT TO get another one in the house. It used to be I always had to have 2-3 in the house at all times of everything. I dunno why.

I always have about 6 toothbrushes on hand :laugh:
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I can't eat M&Ms anymore because of my milk allergy but I could NOT eat the blue ones. In fact, I can't eat blue food. If you think about it, there is no such thing as a naturally blue food - even blueberries are more purple than blue - and I just can't eat anything blue. You would also hate my house, I am a pack rat and my husband is even worse - we have a LOT of clutter.

Well if you ever wanted your house cleaned out I would be able to do an awesome job for you :bigsmile: Peter Walsh and I would get along great.
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    I don't know what any of you are talking about.

And it CDO(like OCD except the letters are in order like they should be.) lol
  • qtwells82
    Options
    I don't know what any of you are talking about.

And it CDO(like OCD except the letters are in order like they should be.) lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: