Help I broke my foot .

Options
So I really need some advice. I have been doing mfp for almost a year and have come such a long way. But the problem is I broke my foot and cant get on my treadmill. I do my treadmill everyday and am so scared of not being able to do it. It will be 6 weeks till I can get back on. I don't have an excercis bike, but the Dr said maybe in 2 weeks I can do that depending on how the bone looks. So if anyone has any ideas for me I would appreciate any advice.

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Ouch!!!
    Are you in a cast? You have come so far. Would you be able to do aqua arobics? That is very low impact and you could still work out the rest of your body.
  • katevonr
    Options
    Aqua Aerobics would be challenging since you can't get the cast wet, but what about taking up pilates for awhile?
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Using crutches is hard enough as it is!
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Do upper and core body strength training (that doesn't need your legs). And talk to you doctor. Tell him what you told us.Wish I could be more of a help...
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Well, since (going by your ticker) your 3 pounds away from your goal, I would say go to maintenance calories to give your body fuel to heal, lift some weights if you can, and if you're just in the walking boot instead of the full cast, ask your doctor if you can swim.
  • FitFeden
    FitFeden Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've had reoccurring back problems. One of the issues for me has been that I'd work out a lot, and eat in accordance with that lifestyle. Then, when my workouts were halted by my back, sometimes up to six weeks, I would continue to eat like I was when I was working out, and I'd put on 10-15 pounds in that time frame. MFP has been a big help because I put structured my diet around a sedentary lifestyle. I'm now losing weight for the first time without major workouts. When I do exercise, I just take in the recommended extra calories for that day. In short- this shouldn't be a problem, so long as you adjust your diet to the expected level of activity, and find a new balance. That being said, I'm not discounting the importance of exercise. Perhaps you can ask your doctor what the time frame on pool related exercises would be. Might be less, due to the low impact.

Nick
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing- when I was training for a marathon! I am so sorry to hear this. It is frustrating and terrifying all at once. Just take it easy, watch the calories and you will be fine. I actually lost weight while I was off the exercise. The frustration and sadness ( I missed my exercise!) was the hardest part. Feel free to friend me, I will be glad to lend you a shoulder as your foot heals.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    What about doing some punches to get your heart rate up? You can probably do that sitting or perhaps leaning your butt against a wall. I think you could do intervals doing that. A few minutes punching at a normal pace then punching as fast as you can ... repeat. Thats the only thing I could think of to get you a good burn without using your legs. You are 3lbs away from your goal so you could also mainly focus on your diet until you can start up being active again.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    so sorry to hear this, watch your calories and maybe you can find exercises for people in wheelchairs. Look on youtube , maybe you can also do walking , using the crutches would burn more calories.
  • pattybond1234
    pattybond1234 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have had chronic, recurring feet problems for the past 10 years, and my doctors are very strict with me about my level of activity. I thought this would be a problem when I started MFP last year hoping to lose my extra pounds. But, actually all my weight loss (26 lbs!) has occurred while I am restricted on exercise. My daily calorie count is based on a completely sedentary lifestyle and as long as you are very strict with yourself and try not to go over, you will lose weight. I am living proof! My podiatrist did tell me that any exercise would be fine as long as it doesn't impact my feet like the exercise bike, weights, and swimming. Best wishes to you and hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice. I am in a walking boot. I have to keep it on 24/7. I can only take it off for showers. I am lucky no crutches. But I have to try and limit my walking. Also I dont have access to a pool.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you watch the biggest loser, there's one guy with knee problems who did some shadow boxing. He just sat at the edge of his bed and just shadow boxed intensely. He was pretty winded and broke out a pretty good sweat.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I've broken my foot and had stress fractures and several issues with my feet. There is a machine at my gym that is not quite like an elliptical trainer, your feet just go back and forth kind of like a ski machine. That worked well even in a walking cast. Elliptical trainer worked well with a surgical boot if the crossramp was set low enough to not make the boot cut into my calf. If you're completely non-weight bearing, most gyms have an upper body cycle-type thing that you can get your heart rate up with (and it makes you feel like a rodent on a wheel!). I also used the "down time" to work on upper body strength (except for the time my shoulder was also injured) and abs.

Heal quickly!
  • MrsKelly73
    Options
    I broke my foot one year ago...put on 20lbs while i was laid up (inverted both ankles broke one foot) I had the soft cast and I am sympathetic to your situation. I wasn't able to do much because of both...but the bike is a great idea! once my ankles were better (bone was not 100% healed) I did the bike in therapy. I created no pain for my foot.
    For now what about walking in your neighborhood? If it's cold where you are...just bundle up! or walk at your local mall. Some grade schools allow you to walk in their gym after hours.
  • NuclearGirl
    Options
    My daughter is in a wheelchair - she has cerebral palsy and it's a constant battle to stay on top of her weight. She has fabulous upper torso strength - it's her lower body that is the problem. She's just started at a residential college for disabled young adults and has access to a gym geared up for the disabled & also does quite a bit of swimming - seen a real improvement in just 3 months.

Wheelchair exercises - http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/exercise/wheelchair-exercises.php

Sorry to hear about your dilemma - hope you heal quickly!