Eating Too Much Vitamin A & C?

Options
I'm excited to be eating all of my nutrition and have been spending the past 2 days logging in nutritional values to make sure I'm eating enough iron. I'm right on the nose. However, my vitamin A & C is over by 200 and sometimes 300... Since Vit C is water soluble and the body can't store it and it's coming from natural food sources, non processed food, will it just wash out what my body doesn't need? Can we eat too much A & C and will it do any harm?

Replies

• JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question. I've been blowing over my daily goals of Vitamins A & C and wondered the same thing. Hopefully some kind soul will respond to your question.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Vitamin A. But I've always been told you will just pee out any extra Vitamin C. (it might be something to check with your doctor)
  • darknight0dc
    Options
    if your body is getting too much vitamin A it can be really dangerous. Too much vitamin A in the body can be toxic, it can cause loss in bone density (osteoperosis), liver problems and damage to your nervous system. that's why if you buy OTC vitamins a complete dose only contains 50-75% of your daily value of vitamin A.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamina/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    what I learned yesterday....Vit C is water soluble and too much washes out...Vit A is fat soluble and stores in our fat...too much Vit A and your hair can fall out...you can also feel fatigued among other things.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Ok so here is some of the best advice ever....
    If your intake of Vitamin A is from vegetables or similar...then get this...there is NO upper limit! It is actually Vit A from caretenoids (aka retinol) which is actually very healthy. There is only an upper limit from Vit A from animals. (Upper limit for Vitamin A from animals is 2300 IU's) Which is pretty unlikely unless you eat a lot of meat every single day high in Vit A.. Same thing with Vitamin C. Although the upper limit is 200mg/day, it is different if you are getting it from natural resources as opposed to supplements. Natural good, supplements bad.
    I hope this helps :)
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C is the ONLY vitamin our body does not manufacture so never worry about injesting too much! Especially in the winter time...it will keep your immune system nice and high. You will have a hard time over dosing on vitamins eating a clean diet. ARE you taking a multi vitamin now? What kind? Marian...Pilates trainer in Ma.
  • aeragusa
    aeragusa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C is indeed water soluble and whatever your body does not need will be expelled from your system. There is an upper limit, but you would have to eat well over 1000% to experience any negative side effect.

Vitamin A, on the other hand, is a fat soluble vitamin so your body does require a daily dose; however, the tolerable upper limit for women is about 3000 µg, about 400% of the your DRI.

So basically I wouldn't worry about it unless you're eating SUBSTANTIALLY more than you should. If you experience any abnormal symptoms, I would definitely speak to your doctor.