Shirataki Noodles?

Options
2»

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I get mine at a Japanese grocery where they carry two distinct kinds: a sort of brownish flecked one that definitely has a bit of a fishy taste, but also a white one that has no discernable taste at all.

I agree that the texture can be a bit odd (but then, the Japanese have a number of foods with textures that are unfamiliar to western palates!), but they grew on me after a while.

I been chopping them up fairly small and adding them to veggie soup-- makes it much heartier and filling with no discernable taste (and cutting them up helps with the texture.)

We also got a package of the shirataki cake--which is the same stuff only in a mass rather than cut into noodles. My husband cut it into small pieces and stir-fried it with a bit of spicy rojo pork, mushrooms and cabbage, and ate it in a taco. He said that particularly with the spicness of the pork, he didn't really taste the shiritaki at all--and that it had the texture of the mushrooms.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Okay, so, I tried these. HORRIBLE. The best description I can give is that I felt as if I were eating what I imagine tape worms to taste like in consistency. Horrible. I literally gagged and I'm generally the type of person who isn't bothered by textures and who tries anything and everything. I'm not a picky person, in other words.

The alfredo sauce recipe that HG provides was pretty good. I doctored it up a bit and added it to whole grain pasta.
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Okay, so, I tried these. HORRIBLE. The best description I can give is that I felt as if I were eating what I imagine tape worms to taste like in consistency. Horrible. I literally gagged and I'm generally the type of person who isn't bothered by textures and who tries anything and everything. I'm not a picky person, in other words.

The alfredo sauce recipe that HG provides was pretty good. I doctored it up a bit and added it to whole grain pasta.

I have been planning on using whole grain pasta with all of the HG recipes that call for Shirataki noodles.
  • happymom1197
    Options
    I have been substituting these in for my meals when I make my family pasta. There are a lot of different shapes and sizes. I recommend either the angel hair or orzo shapes. I have had a few recipes that have tasted just as good as real pasta:) I think red sauces work just fine. Please don't try them as a pasta salad though. Lol. Big mistake!!
    My experience has taught me that it is very important to rinse the noodles very well, about 5 minutes under running water. After that, it's a good idea to try to get as much moisture out of them as possible. I put mine right on a few paper towels and squeeze them.
    Also, actually cooking them for a period of time changes the consistency of them. It makes them more chewy. I just heat them in a dry skillet or for a minute in the microwave (if I'm at work) and add the sauce. Yum yum! Almost no calories, and full of fiber!!!!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Good old yam noodles... I eat Konnyaku (same thing). I'll eat almost anything if it's Japanese. :heart:

I rise the noodles well (the package says to), and keep them away from small children and old men (the packages says to). Then I boil the noodles for several minutes (about 10).

In a separate pan, heat some oil (or whatever non-stick you use), and fry some green pepper, onions, whatever you would put into a stir-fry. Add the noodles, with a tablespoon of miso (soybean) paste, and a table spoon of tamari or soy sauce. Stir for a while, until you think the flavours have mingled long enough, and then serve.

Oh! Sometimes I add shrimp and scallions too. Delicious!
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I made some tonight topped with lentils...

I am in love!