my Carbs are killing me

mycrazyturtles
mycrazyturtles Posts: 96
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I make my calorie goal but I'm over on my Carbs. I sure could use some ideas on what to do for this. All the snacks I love tend to have carbs. ie... yogurt, pretzels, even apple sauce is high in carbs. What to do.

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    They have a blue ointment for that.

Oh....cARbs. Nevermind.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    I like string cheese, a tsp of peanut butter, almonds.
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Kroger sells carbmaster yogurt. My fiance eats it. It is very low carb. Of course, it is artificially sweetened, and since I do not eat it, I haven't looked at the ingredients. Some people it bothers, some don't care, but, from what I hear, it is really good.

Aunt Millies healthy goodness light is kind of low in carbs (20g for 2 slices)-

I wouldn't be too worried about carbs if you are eating high fiber. I know in the case of diabetics or those with low carb diets, you have to look at the amount of carbs per serving, and then subtract the fiber to get the true (or net I think?) carbs.

I hope this helps.

Also, you could snack on celery/peanut butter or cottage cheese.
    Or, make baked tortilla chips from wonton wrappers

Most fruit tends to be high in carbs, but, vegetables (non starchy) aren't that high in carbs, so those work best for snacks.. (all of this information is via a diabetic nutritionist that my fiance was going to )
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    I limit my carbs by choosing NO SUGAR ADDED items. I realize a lot of them have Splenda or another artificial sweetener in them, but coming from a long line of TYPE 2 diabetics this doesn't bother me all that much. Choose a baked sweet potato over a regular potato, choose lower carb breads(Sara Lee 45 calories and Delightful is my favorite). I also use low carb tortillas. I realize our body needs carbs, but getting carbs from veggies and fruit is more the route I choose to go.
  • SandraKay79
    SandraKay79 Posts: 7 Member
    I follow a lower carb diet and generally eat cheese(fry's/kroger) sell 1oz sharp cheddar packages. I also love the carbmaster yogurt. They have a new carrot cake flavor that knocked my docks off it was sooo good.

Another snack is popcorn, split the bag with someone and you'll get a lot of snack not a lot of carbs.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    search fage 0% greek yogurt. It can save u on carbs. peanut butter on celery, avocados, cheese sticks.

Also remember that complex carbs are good for you.
  • Thanks so much everyone. I think I should have waited to go to the grocery store.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Along with others who have mentioned it I tried the Kroger Carbmaster yogurt today and I thought it was heavenly and the perfect consistency and I will buy it again. I don't mind artificial sweetners because no one is perfect at eating everything 100% natural but I DO reccomend them!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    They have a blue ointment for that.

Oh....cARbs. Nevermind.

A+
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    "All the snacks I love tend to have carbs. ie... yogurt, pretzels, even apple sauce is high in carbs. What to do."

hm...they have high fiber low calorie bread and a slice of cheese for the amount of calories in a serving of pretzels, you can have a grilled cheese. Or if you like that crunchiness and saltiness, perhaps some saltine crackers with cheese instead (they are lower in carbs and calories). Or maybe salted almonds, about 200 calories per serving, or even better, pistachios! they have low carb tortillas too that are really good, dip in humous, or tzatziki (plain yogurt mixed with chopped cucumber, salt and dill), or peanut butter. maybe some turkey jerky and smoked almonds?

hope it helps!
This discussion has been closed.