Irritable Bowel Syndrome & exercising.

Options
I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) a few years back (I also struggle with anxiety/depression. What luck!)

Although I end up most the time managing it fairly well, every now and then it flares up and totally drains me. Today, I was feeling pretty horrible (my own fault!) because I totally ate horribly yesterday. It's hard, because I feel defeated, so my first instinct is to want to get back on track and exercise. But, the IBS has me feeling so unwell, that it makes exercising nearly impossible.

Anyone else relate?

Replies

• emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes!!!

I have IBS too but I have the IBS-constipation. Not sure if you have that one or the other?

Either way it sucks! I've worked very hard the past two years to manage my food choices so that I don't have to take medicine. So far, it has worked out very well. But my doctor told me I'd have it, well forever really and it would be a roller coaster.

For me, I make sure to have plenty of fiber and water everyday. The exercise really makes me feel better, even when I'm bloated and feel terrible. It gets me moving (and well helps with gas pockets and stuff) :laugh:

About three weeks ago, I was on the roller coaster. The scale wasn't moving and I was down about and bloated. But I just had to keep taking care of myself and think optimistically.

You can do it! :happy: Everyone has something that is a challenge. This is ours and we can control it and be good to our body.
    May I suggest Yoga??? If I'm really feeling horribly, stretching and/or yoga really helps with my breathing and overall well being. I find it relaxes my body and mind. Next time it feels impossible, play some soothing music and try some yoga moves. It is a workout and relaxer - it is so versatile.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • AllisonMarisa
    AllisonMarisa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am "IBS-C" too, sounds like we are totally in the same boat!

I want to try to incorporate taking some fiber, but it seems daunting! I already feel so bloated a lot of days, and worry the fiber will make me feel worse.

Would love to friend you on here, it's nice to have someone who can relate!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Sounds Great! I just added you!

I'm the fiber queen of my county! Everyone makes fun - it's hilarious.

The daily recommended total is between 20-25 grams a day. I get about about 20 min a day. And it makes the WORLD of difference and drinking water helps too.

Today for lunch I had sweet potato and black bean chili - that will get your engines running! Trust me.

Fiber options: mango, oranges, any kind of beans, whole wheat, black eyed peas, veggies, sweet potato. When I need a pick me up when traveling I use the Benefiber water packets.

I also read something else interesting on the web last week. I will send it to you through a message :smooched:
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have ibs A which swings one way or tge other since I started mfp I have stopped eating rice pasta and bread, these are my triggers plus I over eat them but to be honest now I don't miss them and I haven't had an attack yet in 3 weeks and I exercise normaly. :)
  • karemel
    Options
    I don't have IBS, but have been diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease so I can relate to a lot of what you're going through. I try to work out three days a week and will stick with that schedule as closely as possible even on days when I'm not feeling well (often I'll just lower the intensity a little, do weights instead of cardio if my stomach is acting up, etc). But sometimes a break is necessary, and I've found that in the long run it's much better to listen to your body than to try and push through when you're really just not feeling it.
  • fixpc
    fixpc Posts: 21
    Options
    I have IBS too and I also struggle with anxiety/depression I have found that taking Citrucel has help me a lot with the IBS also Anxiety/depression is why I have IBS i don't know if you take med for your anxiety but if you don't you may want to look in to it. Prozac have very little side effects one of the good one's it has is Loss of appetite.
  • AllisonMarisa
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's responses, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    I too have IBS mine swings from one extreme to the other but most constipation. So I can relate, when it is really bad it feels like the flu and my stomach hurts so bad it makes exercising nearly impossible. Thankfully it doesnt get that bad often. But I can certainly relate to you ladies
  • AllisonMarisa
    Options
    Yeah the Flu is a really good way to describe it. Mine doesn't get that bad too often (thankfully!) But it definitely can be disrupting to my daily activities.