Anyone able to eat a balanced diet w/100% nutrition?

Options
I've been spending hours trying to research the values of foods I eat and re entering foods into my MFP diary. I'm fried and wondering, is anyone eating 100% balanced??? Please, I'd like to know. And not with supplements, I'm talking food! I know it's possible but this is ridiculous! Who, measures out to 100% of their daily allowance?

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Well I just use my diary as a general guide, a "teaching tool" for me to get used to eating healthily and a good reminder to myself, but I try to make sure I eat everything in moderation and control my portions. :smile:
  • DMPV
    DMPV Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been through a program before that required me to weigh and measure everything! It is annoying, but after a while you learn what a proper portion size is and then can eyeball it more accurately. I use the diary as a guide too and try to make healthy, balanced choices. Each day I try to eat 2 servings of lean protein, 3 of starch, 3 of vegetables, 3-4 of fruits, 1-2 of dairy, and a healthy fat. Although it's hard, I try to limit the condiments and snacks and not rely so much on the extra "earned" calories from exercise. I just started this plan this week though. It looks like you are doing well-half way to your goal! Good job.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get 100% of your DV of everything from just food. That's why there are multivitamins out there, and there is nothing wrong with a good multivitamin. Even my "crunchy granola" nutritionist recommends one.

The best thing you can do is follow the food pyramid as closely as possible. It was designed to maximize DVs of nutrients and vitamins, etc. The problem is it is very hard to lose weight eating 6 or so servings of grains a day! LOL! So I like what DMPV has said with "2 servings of lean protein, 3 of starch, 3 of vegetables, 3-4 of fruits, 1-2 of dairy, and a healthy fat." You'll get most of what you need that way. Just remember, red meat and spinach are some of your best sources for iron and iron is VERY important for women.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    anyone that is getting ALL THEIR NUTRITION from FOOD and NOT a PILL, please add me! I'm NOT talking about % of protein, carbs, and fat. I'm speaking of VITAMINS AND MINERALS ETC. :D
  • starlitesue
    Options
    I just read the Wikipedia article about these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_Daily_Intake) and it turns out those values are for people eating 2,000 calories a day, if you're eating less calories maybe that's why it's hard to get all of them.

Personally I don't take a multivitamin, I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables (in a large variety), and assume I get what I need. I don't have enough time in the world to measure that stuff (not to mention it changes with the age of the vegetable, the cooking method etc).
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I love that answer starlitesue!!! You are marvelous!

Well, I wonder if MFP diary program makes adjustments for the caloric intake? I have to think it does since so many shoot for certain numbers the program tracks...mostly prot, carbs, and fat...some sodium...Overall, my problem is not having the food logged in properly with all the information. And my diary options has grown so large that it's hard for me to find the one I want! I just need to take the time to get it sorted out. It's gotten out of hand like a bad weed.

While I've been researching, it's become clearer than ever how we CAN get our nutrition from food, which I knew. Just pass your supplement and processed food money over to me, hehe I just wish I could convince others but I'm the only one I can change. I do have control of what my family eats at home. I'm blown away because I've thought I was iron deficient for years...There's no way with what I eat. I get enough iron in my diet and I'm sure I'm getting enough of the other nutrients as well. This has been a 19 month process. But I've studied a lot this week. Such a wealth of information online.

I'm still looking for the person that's getting all their numbers right from food ;o) anyone out there? I want to know you!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Wow! No one????
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    No. I doubt I am. I am always over in protein and calcium... cheese and whatever my protein fix is for the day. I try to have a veg with every meal, except breakfast but I doubt I have the amount I am supposed too
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It's kind of an average thing I think. Up some days in some areas down on other days. I think if you are eating good quality foods it'll all come out in the wash.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 40% carbs / 30% protein / 30% fat. I've been doing it for 5+ years and it works for me. I'm there MOST days. Its not a perfect science. As long as I know I am trying to get at least 2-3 servings of fruit, 2 servings of veggies, and lots of protein daily I know I am doing well. I also take a multi and fish oil caps daily.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    BuMp...looking for someone who meets there daily % of vit and min ONLY with FOOD, NO SUPPLIMENTS! A vegen??
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    bump
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think it would be near impossible without going over. I do struggle with that too. I don't eat fruit because it gives me such massive heart burn so I have trouble with my vitamin c and potassium.

I suppose if I ate an orange and a banana I would hit it, but not everyday. I do look at the end of the day and figure out what my final snack of the day should be to increase the ones I need to increase.

I am always over on my Protien and my sugars, (but not carbs, weird)

How close are you to doing it?
  • NuclearGirl
    Options
    I have been having similar thoughts about this myself. I think that I come close a lot of the time, but the problem I have is that I don't think I am documenting all of the vitamins etc all the time on MFP.
    It depends on what I select from the database, or whether I enter food information myself. Not all of the foods on the database are complete in terms of vitamins & minerals. And the information on some foods that you buy does not always state this information on the pack either.
    When I get a minute I'll do a bit of food research and get to work on my own food database and try and get it as complete as possible - as I tend to eat more or less the same things week in - week out it shouldn't be too arduous a task. Then I should get a better idea of what I'm taking in. It would be nice to know whether I would benefit from Multivits or not - I'd rather not as I would probably forget to take them anyway! :smile:
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    for today my % are:
    Totals 1,457 3,529 103 295 80 92
    Your Daily Goal 1,540 3,500 100 100 100 100
    Remaining 83 -29 -3 -195 20 8
    Calories Potass Vit A Vit C Calcium Iron

obviously, ( - )are over and the other is under according to MFP/i adjusted it but it won't print out correctly, you know how it is.