Need Strength Training Ideas

paullie_t
paullie_t Posts: 23 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been tracking my weight and exercising since February 2nd of 2010 and I've nearly lost 50 pounds. I am about 4-5 pounds shy of hitting the big 5-0, but I am still hoping I can hit 50 pounds lost in the year since I started.

To lose these pounds, I've been 98% cardio for this entire year. I am a beast at the elliptical trainer. I have done every form of cardio, be it interval, endurance, jogging, running, what have you. My latest kick is to warm up for 5 minutes at 80W resistance, then alternate between 80W and 120W resistance in 5-6 minute intervals. I keep my speed over 80 rpms and after 45 minutes I am usually between 680- 720 calories burned according to my heart rate monitor.

What I have been looking for was to find some type of strength training routine that wouldn't kill me, but would build up my muscles so I didn't look so flabby as well as to enhance my recovery period of fat burning. My apartment gym has the following equipment that I have access to 24 hours a day. If any of you have suggestions, please don't hesitate to send them my way.

Dumbbells from 5-80 pounds with 2 benches that incline.
Squat Rack with an attached bar which guides you through your squat
Vertical Cable with adjustable positions from high to low
Incline Leg Press / Calf Press machine
Leg Curl / Leg Extension machine
Shoulder Pulldown / Seated Row machine
Converging Chest Press / Fly machine
Converging Shoulder Press / Military Press machine
Pull-up / Dip Station

Previously I have tried a few routines at Men's Fitness, but I always end up going too hard and shred my legs to a point where I can't work out for a week. I am not opposed to doing circuit training or even focusing on a body part each day.

My stats are:
Starting Weight: 255
Current Weight: 209
Body Fat %: 38% - according to the digital scale
Height: 5' 6"

Thanks again for any comments or thoughts!

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Go on Bodybuilding.com. There is a wealth of information on that site with lots of different workouts
This discussion has been closed.