Fitness/Health Phrases That MUST DIE in 2011!

2»

Replies

• NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Oooooh how I love your wisdom! :)
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Very nice to actually SEE these things in print in front of me. I HATE the whole "starvation mode will cause you to gain weight" bs. Thank you:)

What about "You can't continue to loose weight by walking-you have to jog/run"
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    Someone already sad it, but that muscle weighs more than fat one drives me UP A WALL!! So I had to say it again.....
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    great thread :)

Agree with all of it except I am still going to drink my minimum 8 glasses of water a day. No harm done :)
  • Fantastic post!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    I agree completely. A lot of these things are hype with no scientific basis.

Shannon
  • Teran0612
    Teran0612 Posts: 263
    Sheesh!!! Thank you!!! I'm a newbie.. and have heard the same things over, and over, and over.. And did I say over again??
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Brilliant post.
    Also, "But the real absurdity in the above statement is that it assumes that, even though your fitness level has improved and you can work harder, you choose to remain at the exact same level forever. When you think about it, the logic collapses under the weight of its own stupidity. " = :laugh: (and also, of course, a very good point)
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Good read, and definitely gets my brain turning. I'd love to see some documentation of some of what you say. As a science teacher, I always ask my students to cite their sources. So it'd be cool to see some of your sources, especially if they were peer-reviewed research articles. That's one part of my 'healthy-lifestyle' education I'd like to see some improvement. In my REAL knowledge, not just the stuff bandied about like it's true, as you pointed out.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    I agree with some of this but not all.... A HRM may not be completely accurate but i believe its more accurate than yourself or MFP estimating it.... as far as muscle confusion it has worked for me where as steady training never showed me the same results!!! And the water thing maybe true to a point but i know i feel 100% better when i drink 8-10 glasses of water than on days i only get 5 or 6!!! I think when it comes to diet and fitness nothing works the same for everyone and you have to find what works for you.... there is just as much info out there on these topics that are encouraging as discouraging!

This being just one of them
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • Thank goodness, some common sense. The simple truth is, if you eat less and do more you'll lose weight, and don't obsess about how you look, Be healthy and happy and love yourself, whatever. A genuine smile is much more attractive than a skinny bum.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    - If you haven't lost a substantial amount of weight during the last two weeks, the reason probably is that you are converting fat to muscle.

- If you eat before going to bed, it is sored as fat straight away.

- Fat makes you fat. --> Low fat hype. Good dietary fat is essential for your health!

- The whole idea of losing weight. People should think more in terms of losing fat instead of weight and stare at the scales a little less..
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I agree with some of this but not all.... A HRM may not be completely accurate but i believe its more accurate than yourself or MFP estimating it.... as far as muscle confusion it has worked for me where as steady training never showed me the same results!!! And the water thing maybe true to a point but i know i feel 100% better when i drink 8-10 glasses of water than on days i only get 5 or 6!!! I think when it comes to diet and fitness nothing works the same for everyone and you have to find what works for you.... there is just as much info out there on these topics that are encouraging as discouraging!

I don't think you read my original post very closely.

And one of the reasons I wrote this was because so many of the "recommendations" about fitness and health are based on "belief" and not fact. It is easy to assume a cause-and-effect relationship between two events, when in fact the effect is either coincidental or caused by a completely different factor altogether.
  • GiGi76

I don't think you read my original post very closely.

And one of the reasons I wrote this was because so many of the "recommendations" about fitness and health are based on "belief" and not fact. It is easy to assume a cause-and-effect relationship between two events, when in fact the effect is either coincidental or caused by a completely different factor altogether.

I did read it and i just dont agree with all of it. What you are offering as fact is simple not fact.... There is just as many studies done to prove as disprove everything under the sun and what works for one person isnt going to be the case for the other! For me Muscle Confusion works maybe for you it doesnt but to say its a myth isnt the case for everyone! The same holds true for water, and most everything else.... for you to say these things must die is to insinuate it holds true for everyone. Alot of people on MFP read one thing and get it in their head that this is truth for everyone not understanding that no 2 things work the same for everyone. So im not here to argue with you but only to offer my opinion which is what you have also done.
  • alantin
    Well..

Generally people seem to be more similar than they are different.. Especially as organic, breathig, sweting, calorie burning things, and there are things that can be said to work for vast majority of people so I think that it has gotten a bit too convinient around here to just throw "not everything works for everybody", to avoid explaining why you think the way you do.. It doesn't really bring anything to any conversation IMHO..

Just saying my opinnion..
  • GiGi76
    Well..

Generally people seem to be more similar than they are different.. Especially as organic, breathig, sweting, calorie burning things, and there are things that can be said to work for vast majority of people so I think that it has gotten a bit too convinient around here to just throw "not everything works for everybody", to avoid explaining why you think the way you do.. It doesn't really bring anything to any conversation IMHO..

Just saying my opinnion..

My main point is this.... find me an article proving these things and i will find you one that says otherwise!!! Thats all i have to say guys, good day!!!!
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Awesome article ha! I have to show this to some people who "know" health and fitness.
  • Thank goodness, some common sense. The simple truth is, if you eat less and do more you'll lose weight, and don't obsess about how you look, Be healthy and happy and love yourself, whatever. A genuine smile is much more attractive than a skinny bum.

I'll second that!
    Good post - very thought provoking.
  • alantin
    My main point is this.... find me an article proving these things and i will find you one that says otherwise!!! Thats all i have to say guys, good day!!!!

LoL
    That is a good point! Have to give you that.. :laugh:
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    I love this!
This discussion has been closed.