Gaining weight

Options
Hello. I'm nearing the end of my third week of actually putting effort into my lifestyle. I have been logging everything I eat and drink. I have been trying to exercise more often, and more vigorously. I have added probably 130% more water to my diet than early December. I know I haven't been at this very long, but I need to chat to keep motivated, I guess.

The first week I lost 4 pounds. I was amazed and pleased and told myself over and over that this will likely be the only week with such a big loss. The second week, even through TOM, I lost 1 pound. I was still very pleased with this as I completely expected to remain the same weight.

My weigh-in is on Sunday morning, but I checked the scale today and I have gained half a pound. With my hopes of losing another 1 or 1.5 pounds this week, I'm feeling really down about this.

Things I am unsure about:

*What kind of calories to 'fill' my day with when I am not hungry and I have more recommended calories to eat.

*What kind of activity lifestyle should I really put myself as? I had lightly active, since I work standing and I am often walking back and forth across a convenience store for the full 8 hours (3 / 5 days a week lifting heavy items from one place to another)

*How many calories am I really burning when I go for that run, or do that work out DVD? Thankfully I just received my heart rate monitor in the mail and I will continue to compare it's values to the ones that come up on this site.

I am really focused on losing these extra pounds and getting to be the me I want to be. Please feel free to look at my diary and critique or suggest new foods! I know there are some candy bars and an ice cream shake in there recently and I really understand (and hope!) that could be the cause, but that was a falter of will and I am hoping I can withstand having too many more of those.

Replies

• uhoh_billy
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about a half pound. Your body fluctuates in weight by almost 3 pounds a day, so it may have just been an off time of day. I lost 4 pounds my first week, and put 2 back on the next. As long as in the long term you're seeing results in the downward direction, I wouldn't worry over a pound or two.
  • Stac3783
    Stac3783 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! The thing with exercising and lifting weights is you will burn fat, but gain muscle. You may not see a difference on the scale, or you may see a gain on the scale. You need to continue at it. Your muscles retain water when you start using them more than you used to. So more water is a must too. Also, you need to eat your exercise calories that automatically go onto your allowed calories when you log exercise. If you eat too few calories, then your body will go in starvation mode and store fat and everything at enters it.

If you want to log your calories more accurately, you can get a heart rate monitor. There watches, and some come with Chest straps. Wear that when you work out, and it will give you a calorie count.

I hope this helps! Keep it up. What's important is that you feel great when you work out! And everything will follow! Just remember that you're building muscle and getting rid of fat and it will take time to see that change....just stick with it!
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Have you been weighing yourself at the same time? You can fluctuate 2-3 pounds up and down a day, so I wouldnt worry about the slight gain. It is probable that you have stayed the same.

If you are struggling with your calories, I would eat something like, pasta or potatoes to use some of them in an evening meal, however, if you are not hungry, and eating a decent amount of calories in a day dont worry about filling your 'quota'. You don't have to eat all your calories everyday! I've only been doing it for 4 days, but found myself under calories and full everyday.

I have put myself as lightly active, because I am a teacher and usually walking around the class room all day.

As you start to lose more weight the weight loss will happen more slowly. 1/2 a pound is still an achievement. Focus on small goals, and don't give up. Remember you have lost 27lbs!

xxx
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with it for sure! Who knows, maybe in two days I will magically be a pound lighter. I do weigh at the same time, when I wake up and use the toilet every morning.

I put my activity at sedentary now, in hopes that maybe I just had it on the wrong one. I finished a workout and I burned 322 cals instead of the amount listed on this site.

Thanks so much guys!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    You need to assess your weight loss over 4 - 6 weeks. Your body weight fluctuates so much during the day and over a monthly cycle you can just catch it at the wrong time!

Don't worry, if you are doing everything right, you are losing FAT. Fat is so difficult to weigh when most of your body is lean mass, muscle, bone and WATER!!!

Look for the downward trend over the course of weeks. And MEASURE!! That is far more accurate than weight.

Good luck :flowerforyou: