Hello. Is there anyone else out there who has a problem with

Options
I regularly eat a whole box of chocolates by myself in one go. Even a double layer. I know it's extreme greediness & very likely I'll end up with diabetes again (I was insulin dependent with gestational diabetes twice). But I just can't stop myself. I'm wondering if I should save up for a gastric band or bypass (I also over eat if something tastes nice). Consequently I am 55lb overweight. That's classified as obese on the BMI scale. I ask myself if I'm stupid sometimes. I mean REALLY stupid...to treat myself like this. But I just can't get a grip on it. Does anyone know if having surgical intervention could help? I've tried hypnotherapy but he just gave me a chocolate bar after each session. I was paying £50 an hour to be GIVEN chocolate. And it didn't work. So I gave up after 7 sessions. Talking to someone with a real problem might help me (not just a skinny person who says they have a chocolate obsession who clearly does not). I've been trying this application for over a week and have gained 8lb. I don't log the chocolate as it looks so bad on the diary that I can't bear to see it! Has anyone else conquered their overeating and chocolate indulgence using fitness pal?

Replies

• mycrazyturtles
    Options
    Have you tried the frozen fudge bars or fat free chocolate pudding those might help you when you need something. You could have a few a day if you were organized with where you calories went.
    Make your self put the chocolates in your dairy it might help break your habit. If you don't put it in its like you did not eat it. YOur just cheating your self if you really want to loose weight.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    quit buying the chocolates! If you don't keep it available then you won't create a situation in which you know you are going to put yourself at risk. I don't know if there is a surgical option it sounds like you might be fighting something else , or just don't want to stop. Gastric Bypass doesn't stop the behavior only you can do that! You have to take care of yourself and you know what you are doing is not good for you and knowing that I might catch some grief over this but if you were a crack addict trying to get clean you wouldn't keep crack in the house so why keep the things in the house that you know are your crack? Stop it already
  • shilpa731
    Options
    I think you should see a nutritionist. Maybe talking to one could help you and they can tell you what you need to do in order to control your appetite. Sugar is clearly an addictive substance for you and you should steer clear of it. It takes a lot of control and self will but you most definitely can do it especially with the advice of a nutritionist. Good Luck!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much the same problem with food. I overindulge a lot in stuff like chocolate, cake, etc. I find the best thing right now is to just not have it readily available so I will not eat. How to deal with the cravings? I have no clue yet. Even the healthy stuff like Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, I will eat more than one. I could eat three in one sitting. So I definitely understand what you are going through! How am I going to battle it? I"m not so sure yet....
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    First of all, log EVERYTHING. Make your diary private if you want to, but be honest with yourself. You aren't here for the rest of us, you are here for YOU. Not logging the chocolate does you no good at all.

Second, you sound so angry with yourself. What do you need to do to accept yourself the way you are, and cut yourself a little slack so you can be successful in this effort? In your current state of mind, I'd be surprised if anything worked.

That said, you CAN do this, and be successful. You just need to get to a place within yourself where you can focus on learning the new things you need to learn and not worrying about how it looks to others.
  • aklindsay
    aklindsay Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    log the chocolate. log everything you eat. do it accurately and then at the end of the day analyze what you could have done differently. it takes a lot of will power to make yourself put down the chocolate but it is possible. also, it might help if you remove all of the chocolate from your house and don't go near it in stores.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Ya, and that diet stuff, like skinny cow, is awfully expensive---you would be wasting money to buy it and then overindulge on it instead of nondiet stuff. I am with others, you need to just not purchase anything that you may overindulge on. Thats what I have to do around here. If it is not around, then I don't want it nor do I crave it. Something in the brain, if I know it is in the house, then I am more apt to fail my willpower and give in, even if I don't really need or want it, just the fact that knowing it is there and readily available causes me so much harm.
  • aklindsay
    aklindsay Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    as far as the surgical options go. if you were to get bypass surgery and continue to eat the chocolate you would actually loose muscle and gain more fat.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yes, stop buying the things that make you overeat! Also, if you are only 55 pounds overweight most doctors won't even consider you for weight loss surgery. I think they normally require you to be alot heavier than that because it's not all that simple a surgery. That may have changed in the last few years but you can take care of 55 pounds without the need for medical intervention if you really put your mind to it.

The problem is, you have to WANT to do it. Nobody can make you or talk you into it. I've lost weight several times and failed several times. When my heart and mind isn't in the game, it doesn't work!

Good luck!
  • TacoDouglas
    Options
    I've known co-workers and others who have had gastric procedures done. Common census seems to be that for those not willing to make the lifestyle changes that go along with it, it will be an expensive, temporary fix. You cannot get the procedure and then continue to eat poorly, or you may come out worse on the other end.

The most recent person I know that had a gastric bypass has lost a significant amount of weight. However, he can only eat about 2-3oz per meal, he cannot eat and drink in the same meal (not enough room). Sweets and carbonation will make him sick (vomiting, diarrhea, etc...). In short, there is a new life style that comes with it, so discipline will still be required. Not a procedure I'd recommend for anyone except those in dire need.

I don't have a chocolate problem, but being honest with my log is keeping me away from sodas and I've lost 5 pounds this week. Best recommendation I can make is keep clear of the temptation, don't keep any in the house or at work. If you have a craving, try having just a little of what you crave so you don't go crazy...but don't overindulge.

Good luck.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A couple things:
    1. Don't keep it in the house. If you have to go out to get it, you're less likely to do so (and at least you burn the calories walking through the store if you do!). Out of sight, out of mind.
    2. Log all the chocolates you plan (or know you won't be able to not) eat BEFORE you start--seeing them broken down on there like that will make you think twice about eating that many.
    3. Log everything you eat and make your diary public. If you're that concerned about how it looks on the diary, perhaps (and note, this does not seem to be a judgmental community at all) you'll be nervous about other people seeing it too. While I'm not trying to make you self conscious, and you shouldn't be, this might help.
    4. Find a low fat or low calorie equivalent--if you love chocolate, try chocolate graham crackers (a personal favorite) or a low fat ice cream bar (something that comes in individual servings--I tend to overeat too if I have the option too, but if it's an individual serving I can usually control myself into not opening up another)
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery in January of 2010. I am down from 243 to 157 lbs. I stiill crave chocolate but not as much. When you have gastric bypass surgery your body does NOT tolerate sugar well at all. If you eat too much you get the "dumping syndrome" and it is definitely NOT PLEASEANT. If you eat too much of anything you will feel awful. Your whole lifestyle has to change when you have the surgery. However the good thing is I am rarely hungry. I go about 10 hours before I actually feel any hunger pangs. I don't usually let that happen as I try to eat 3 meals a day. (1 to 2 ounces of food is all your new stomach can hold at a time.) Before I had the surgery when I craved chocolate I used to eat a small dill pickle or two. It seemed to surpress the urge for chocolate and any sweets. The diet sugar free chocolate frozen popsicles and the diet sugar free chocolate puddings are great.

You might want to contact a surgeon who does the weight loss surgery. I had to attend a seminar, see a nutrionist, a psychologist and 3 doctors before I was approved for surgery. Depending on your health your insurance may cover the cost. I was also an insulin dependant diabetic and had previously suffered 3 heart attacks. At 5' 4 " at 243 lbs I was considered morbidly obese and that qualifed me for the surgery.

Please log ALL of your food intake daily. It will help you become more aware of just what you put into your body daily. And once your become aware of what you eat you tend to be more careful about your choices.

Good luck and keep in touch. :smile:
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from, I've noticed this time around (MFP) that I've been dealing a lot better with my cravings by NOT depriving myself of chocolate. The others are right about not buying it, because if it's not there, then you can't eat it right?? however.... in the past when I was doing weight watchers, because I tried to cut it out completely and was subsequently told by the leader that I should steer clear of chocolate altogether, I found myself having binges, I mean, I would literally go out and buy packets of fun size chocolate bars , each packet would have 20 mini bars and I would binge on them, like I hadn't eaten in days or something..It was awful and I felt so out of control. I even bought books on eating disorders and combating sugar cravings but nothing helped. Fast forward a few years later and I seem to be a little better, I do still eat chocolate, but because I allow myself chocolate in small low fat amounts, I don't feel like gorging myself any more. I buy 3 muskateer bars and other low fat equivalents to try and get through, the Jello low fat sugar free puddings have really really really helped me a lot!! but I always feel that at any time there's something in me that makes me want to go crazy and devour bucket loads of chocolate.

I keep my diary private and I write down EVERYTHING I eat, because the only person I'm lying to is me and I don't want to lie to myself. I know it's painful, but I really think that you should log everything, it has helped me enormously, and I'm not a skinny person who says they have an addiction to chocolate, I literally in the past have gorged, I mean gorged on the stuff. Eating a double layered whole box of chocolates was nothing to me in the past, I'd go into a kind of trance whilst I was doing it and I noticed I ate them sooo quickly, and I didn't even really enjoy them if that makes any sense?

Sorry I know I'm going on and on and on, I just wanted you to know I've been there, I still struggle, but I have gotten over it a little bit, with the help of MFP and by using low fat alternatives.

I really think you can do this without a gastric band, if you're willing to give MFP a try, what do you think? also as another member said you're not very nice to yourself. You should praise yourself for being here firstly, for trying to make a difference, for posting about a very difficult subject, I know how hard and personal it is. But I admire you.

I hope you can keep going, I'd be happy to share any new low fat chocolate discoveries I make with you!!!!
    :-)
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yes over christmas someone gave our family a box of chocolates and I ate quite a bit ! but lets be realistic were ot going to able to give up sweets all the time if this is a lifestyle as a treat I get the 100 calorie packs or the chocolate and oats fiber one bars etc you get the picture you can enjoy chocolate without sabotaging your whole day Good luck it is hard at first especially when other family has brought them into the house
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I have come to realize I have a sweet tooth, and like a drug addict, I am addicted to sugar -- mostly chocolate and ice cream. I have had the Lap-band surgery, and did awesome the first year, but then when summer came the following year I had some ice-cream......and that was the end of it for me. The problem wasn't that I had just one.....it started turning into having a Blizzard or Peanut Buster Parfait (from Dairy Queen) 3-4 times a week! I don't do that anymore, but ever since I've been struggling to kick the sugar habit.

One thing that helps is I've found I really like dark chocolate, so when I have a chocolate craving I plan to have a couple of small pieces of that (like Hershey Nuggets w/almonds). It's lower in sugar, and has a tiny bit of protein to balance the sugar.....and trust me, it WILL satisfy any craving for chocolate. I've tried it!! Another is Jello pudding cups Dark chocolate flavor, at just 60 cals a cup! Yes, I sometimes eat two.....but only if I haven't reached my calorie goal.
    As for other sweets, I have decided I just need to stay away from them. I also wouldn't go crazy with "sugar-free" stuff either, since it contains chemicals and fillers that aren't good in high amounts....not to mention you'll want to eat more and they tend to be higher in calories than the stuff made with sugar. The suggestions I just gave you above are what I've decided to personally do to combat sweet and chocolate cravings. They aren't something I will make a daily habit. I have many moments of temptation, but I just remember how my knees feel, how achy I've been feeling, and what the future holds for me if I don't get a serious grip on my health.

If you are going to use this website, even if you aren't quite ready to make a change, I encourage you to be honest and log EVERYTHING. It will help. I've used other sites before, and like you, I didn't enter everything that went into my mouth. I've only been on here 2 days, and I can see how it helps to motivate me to stay on track. Not only do you see what you've eaten, you can see what you've burned thru exercise. I believe, since I'm truly ready to make a change, that this site will be key to helping me reach my goal.

You have to take each day as it comes, each moment, each craving. Before you go shopping, eat before you go so you won't be hungry and then be tempted to buy things you shouldn't. Make a list and stick to it, just don't have it in the house -- it really does help make it easier to avoid. If you have a craving chew a piece of mint gum, or brush your teeth and drink some water --- I've tried this and it really works. Exercise, and use the tool on here for that.....it will show your progress, and it will help motivate you. When I see the calorie deficit I've created, the last thing I want to do is fill it up with empty calories.

As for surgery....the Lap band helps me to NOT over eat, I stop eating when I feel full, but it doesn't kill a sweet tooth. The Gastric Bypass, whatever type, may help curb the sweet cravings because, for most who have had this surgery, they have a really bad side effect called the "Dumping Syndrome." They aren't able to digest sugar normally, and it goes right through them, and it can be very painful. It causes diarrhea and intestinal cramping....similar to what someone with Irritable Bowel Syndrome would experience. Most will avoid eating sugar to prevent this from happening, but those who don't know what will soon happen. It doesn't happen to everyone who gets the bypass, and you won't know til you eat something you shouldn't. It's not a pleasant thing to go though, I can assure you.

I hope that helps. I know it's a lot of info, but I know how hard it is to fight sugar/chocolate cravings. If you want to friend me, I'd be happy to add you. Good luck :)
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    Yes, most require you to have a BMI of at least 35 or 40,
  • jayney25
    jayney25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't thank each and every one of you who have just posted me help. All these years (of being overweight) and I always thought I was on my own. By reading your replies I feel encouraged by wonderful people who have taken some time to reply directly to ME (and i'm a bit nervous of course...because I want to sort this problem out). I understand now thats its not big & clever & funny to woof down obscene amounts of food. If you could see my diary (the truthful version), I've been eating an average of 7,000 calories a day. It's not a good example to my 3 small children (nearly 4 years, just turned 2 and youngest 7 months) as i can't hide this from them forever. I know I have PCOS and if I don't lose weight I'll end up having a heart attack before I'm 40.

So thank you each and every one of you. It means so much to me that you all care enough to try and help me.

P.S. Nearly 1am now so I'm off to bed soon. And I didn't eat the buttons.
  • kayleed7495
    Options
    Hey, I promise your not the only one. I sometimes had the occasional box of chocolates too. I know it's not good for me but sometimes i just need it. i am 70 pounds overweight and i am obese on the BMI index. you will get over those cravings soon, i promise. And yes, this website has helped me because now i am being honest with myself and i cant tell myself that i didnt eat that extra slice of pie or that left-over chineese that was in the fridge. I hope this site will help you as much as it has helped me. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • amsenny
    Options
    First of all, do not beat yourself up over this. Try a different approach. Instead of buying a whole box of chocolates, buy one. Save it for a treat and savor every bite. By-pass surgury is not the be-all end-all. If you do not want to change your eating habits, you will just gain the weight back. And in the mean-time, after the surgury you are restricted on what you can eat and how much. Minimal starches and sugars. Your body cannot digest them the same, so they make you sick. It is better if you can get control on your own.

Next time you are having a major craving, go for a walk, or come here and chat with people. Call a friend or take a nice bubble bath. Just do something to get your mind off the sweets. Trust me - I have obsessions with salty and sweet treats. I just keep telling myself that food does not control my life anymore and I am sick of being fat. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. But if I eat a sweet treat, I eat it slowly and enjoy it and I try really hard (not always sucessful) to eat only one!!

Good luck to you and please try to avoid the surgury.
  • amsenny
    Options
    One more thing jayney25 - It will get easier. Once your body detoxes out the sugar, you will not crave it. Try a sweet substitute like carmel flavored rice cakes or choc rice cakes. There are other low calorie things you can substitute like pudding or frozen pudding pops. But with everything you eat, it has to be in moderation!! Good luck.