How to survive multiple parties

Options
I'm going to parties tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. There will be party food and drinking, lots of drinking. I'm 26 and single so I don't want to completely give up my ability to drink, but I know this is going to be a big test of dedication for me.

So I have two questions. Does anyone have any general advice when it comes to surviving parties with drinking? And what's the best way to get hammered in 300 calories or less? ;-)

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I usually nurse a light beer or two throughout the whole night. It always look like you have a drink in your hand, and it will keep you low on calories.

The other option is to be completely sober and let people know you're doing it to try to get in shape and healthy. A lot of people may find that lame, but you may find some girls who dig that.
  • salto
    salto Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say my friend, that alcohol has a lot of calories, there's no way around it. A single serving (shot, beer, glass, etc) has around 100 calories (give or take 20 depending on the type). So you're not going to have more than 3-4 and stay within your 300 cal limit. And that's not counting anything you mix with it. Your options are basically either get in some exercise to earn those extra calories, or learn to enjoy the party without overdoing it. Who knows, you may actually find you enjoy yourself.

And you can abstain without telling people you're watching your weight. Tell them you overdid it last night and can't take anymore. Or tell them you're doing this great new detox that doesn't allow alcohol. Make something up. Good luck.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I measure out my alcohol by ounce I drink just straight alcohols mostly or with a splash of soda water and a lime!
  • mikaselm
    Options
    Get Drunk Not Fat . com :D Seriously. I like to find the little low calorie fruit juices and mix with that.

www.getdrunknotfat.com
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I want to point out that hard alcohol is not the answer. Drinking as little as two drinks of vodka can slow down your fat burn by 73% for several hours. It's not about the calories in the vodka, but the alcohol that slows down your metabolism.

http://shareitfitness.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/alcohol-and-fat-loss/
  • mikaselm
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. I live in Salina, KS with all of my college friends, and if I don't drink, that means a LOT of sitting around watching other people play drinking games. Not so fun. It's one thing if you can go out to dance clubs, those are fun weather you're drinking or not, but let's face it, small towns don't tend to have a huge nightlife. So it's quarters and circle of death for us. When I know I'm going for a night out, I like to try to minimize the calories that day, to save lots for the alcohol. And I usually find that I get the best mileage from a light beer. As someone who REALLY enjoys a good beer, I hate to recommend MGD 64, but I'll drink it if I don't have many calories to spare.

Go for the really high fiber snacks, like a good fiber-y cereal for supper, which won't spend too many cals, but will help cushion your stomach a little.
  • zer0vital
    Options
    Lots of good info here; thanks for the feedback. I still haven't decided on a strategy but I'll let you know how it goes. This is my first time drinking since starting at MFP so whatever happens, it will be a learning experience.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Being thinner will allow you to get drunk on fewer drinks because of the lower BMI. That means you will SAVE MONEY!!

Keep that in mind when you go out, and maybe it will be an incentive for moderation.

Also I suggest budgeting your calories to allow yourself some wiggle room. Just don't forget to eat a substantial dinner so you don't feel sick. :sick:
  • zer0vital
    Options
    I was at the party for maybe three hours. I had two Stellas and about 2-3 oz of nigori sake, putting me at about 350 calories for the night. The kicker is that I walked to the party and back, just under a mile each direction and all uphill on the way there.

Tonight will be more challenging. This time, it's eating at a nice restaurant and clubbing downtown. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • salto
    salto Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow NightOwl, that's scary. Never knew that. Plus of course, after a couple of drinks, I'm a lot less likely to make sensible choices as far as food is concerned.

Good job to the OP on his self control at party #1. Let us know how you did the rest of the weekend.
  • zer0vital
    Options
    Saturday night went pretty well; I came in just under my calories and only had a few drinks. It probably could have been better but I stayed home Sunday and Monday and had healthy days. Crisis averted.