Replies

• maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, perhaps either you underestimated your daily activity level or......maybe you don't need to lose anymore weight?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That's fine. You're not in a coma, right? Good, then that means you'll be burning more than 1200 calories a day. :laugh: I had mine tested in a lab, which is as accurate as you can get, and it came to 1265 calories. But I also have worn my HRM on several off-days, and I burn around 1600 calories from walking around, making food, and even sitting up rather than lying down (you have to engage your abdominal muscles to sit upright). Your BMR only calculates your caloric needs for doing absolutely NOTHING. I mean, lying in bed unconscious.
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    Still - figuring some days I seriously have wonky days (like after a seizure) I really don't have many calories to play with.

ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I miss the "old" running around all day 98 lb me!!! :huh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Still - figuring some days I seriously have wonky days (like after a seizure) I really don't have many calories to play with.

ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I miss the "old" running around all day 98 lb me!!! :huh:

Even if you are resting, just being conscious and thinking burns more calories than being in a vegetative state. The brain uses up a lot of calories, and when you're forming neural pathways, you need even more. Reading will give you more wiggle room if you are staying in bed that day. If you want to increase your BMR, just gain some lean muscle mass...that'll bump it really quick! :smile:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Alright, you precocious young whippersnapper, you only have 10 pounds to lose, so you should not be trying to lose 2 pounds a week. Up that to one pound or less a week, so you can eat more calories. It will take awhile, and I'm pretty sure you already know all this.....:wink: But it will be healthier for you.
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    even one pound a week isn't working for me. i've been trying for six months and i've done nothing but gained.

but then again i'm a medical nightmare.

i give uP!!!

:eats snickers:
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That's nothing, mine is only 1181! :wink:

I understand how you feel, but then again, I'd rather be the size I am and only 9 pounds away from my goal than have loads of weight to lose, it must be difficult knowing you have such a huge task ahead. And I look and feel ok where I am, I have no health problems and am quite proud of my body, it's just vanity that spurs me on to lose a bit more (plus I like a challenge!).

It's tough, but I'm coping by cooking lower calorie food and exercising more - I even managed to stay within my calorie limit today for the first time in days! :laugh:
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    ok, this worked for me and makes sense if you think about it.

The body is not designed to lose weight, its designed to maintain (it doesnt know how much you weigh). If you have been losing weight for a long time, at some point, your body is going to get worried that you are constantly losing weight (again, it doesnt know how much you weigh).
    SO....when I hit a plateau, I ate at just under maintenance for 4 weeks.
    After that I started eating the losing weight cals again, and I started losing again.

I think that your body just has to feel comfortable that you are not going to die from constantly losing weight, and once it gets used to you being at the weight you are and maintaining that weight, it will be willing to lose again.
  • littlespoon
    Options
    That's fine. You're not in a coma, right? Good, then that means you'll be burning more than 1200 calories a day. :laugh: I had mine tested in a lab, which is as accurate as you can get, and it came to 1265 calories. But I also have worn my HRM on several off-days, and I burn around 1600 calories from walking around, making food, and even sitting up rather than lying down (you have to engage your abdominal muscles to sit upright). Your BMR only calculates your caloric needs for doing absolutely NOTHING. I mean, lying in bed unconscious.

I am surprised that yours was only 1265 songbyrdsweet with all your muscle mass (and young age). I had mine tested also and it was 1415!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I am surprised that yours was only 1265 songbyrdsweet with all your muscle mass (and young age). I had mine tested also and it was 1415!

Ahh, the terrible irony of genetics! :laugh: It probably has to do with my past eating (or non-eating) practices and the fact that I am, actually, just shy of 5 feet tall. Gotta give myself that extra inch. :blushing:
  • littlespoon
    Options

Ahh, the terrible irony of genetics! :laugh: It probably has to do with my past eating (or non-eating) practices and the fact that I am, actually, just shy of 5 feet tall. Gotta give myself that extra inch. :blushing:

Oh my god - someone I am actually taller than! lol. (i'm a giant at 5ft 2!) :drinker:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    ok, this worked for me and makes sense if you think about it.

The body is not designed to lose weight, its designed to maintain (it doesnt know how much you weigh). If you have been losing weight for a long time, at some point, your body is going to get worried that you are constantly losing weight (again, it doesnt know how much you weigh).
    SO....when I hit a plateau, I ate at just under maintenance for 4 weeks.
    After that I started eating the losing weight cals again, and I started losing again.

I think that your body just has to feel comfortable that you are not going to die from constantly losing weight, and once it gets used to you being at the weight you are and maintaining that weight, it will be willing to lose again.

I absolutely agree with this! I just worked through a plateau as well and it took going on vacation and eating whatever I wanted to for a week to start losing again!!

I also agree that when you are already close to your comfort weight you should be focused on getting healthy not losing weight. My skinny clothes fit so now I am focused on shopping the perimeter of the grocery store, learning how to cook healthy meals for my family, improving my physical fitness (training for a 10 mile race), and finding balance in my life.