So confused still!

Options
I haven't had time to buy a heart monitor.. I have a duel elliptical/bike trainer.. Nothing fancy.. a Kmart special... Anyways, I work up a sweat and earlier I did 15 minutes and went 2.3 miles and according to the machine I burnt 54 calories.. when I went to input it here on MFP it wrote 162 calories... I found an online Calories burned site and it stated 210 calories... I don't want to cheat myself in either dirrection of calories.. How do I know what I REALLT burned? :grumble:

Replies

• djnazz
    djnazz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    May want to look into a heart rate monitor watch that you can wear while working out. You can get some for as low as $90 that will tell you what your heart rate is and will tell you how many calories you have burned. Good luck!
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Do the machines you have factor in your age and weight? those two can be major changers in how many calories you burn. Online ones vary unless you can precisely put in what speed you were going, resistance, and time. So the different sites you use might have different standards for the pacing and resistance.
  • bigp58
    bigp58 Posts: 2
    Options
    The calorie calculation depends on alot of factors. Heart rate, speed, resistance and time. The amount you burned is probably between 50-150. Still a good workout.
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just bought a HRM from walmart for 45. It will calculate heart rate (of course), calories burned, fat burned, and it can also be programmed to where it will beep at you if you go below or above a desired heart rate.
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i got my hrm on amazon.com
    pretty good deal and it came quickly! mine was $65 - it's a polar ft4
    i hope you find something you like so you don't have to keep guessing.
  • lisapooh1
    Options
    Walmart has a heart moniter for 30 dollars and it works great.....
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Ya, everyone burns calories differently. You can't know for sure without a hrm. But when I don't know for sure, I go with the low end so I don't add too many calories.
  • lisamaria63
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I need to get a HRM! Good luck to all with your progress!