Calipers and body fat

Pineapples
Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everyone,

I just bought a caliper because i really want to keep track of my body fat %. What is the norm when you are measuring? do you measure certain parts of your body and then average?

Replies

• laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    I have only had it done once with a digital caliper and it did all the averaging itself.
    You usually mesure the hip, tricep and thigh. I would Google it to see exactly how to do it so that it is accurate.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Calipers are better than electronic measures, but still tricky. They are more effective on some people than others and you have to know how to take the measurements. I would record your measurements using a consistent method and this will show you the directional nature of your body fat. The only way to get a really accurate bf percentage is the emersion test.

Others can certainly help with the best way to use the calipers. I have had it done a few times and the results vary quite a bit. But again, if I were taking them myself, the same way and in the same place, this would give you a better directional sense of improvement.

Good Luck!!!

--Carter
  • Pineapples
    thank you for the advise.. I am just looking to a have an idea of my progress/ improvements, not necessarily accurate. So as long as I measure the same spots right?
  • I googled it for you: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/how-to-measure-bodyfat-using-calipers.html

I've only had it done once and someone else did it for me. But, this shows you exactly where and how to do it and gives the charts below for men and women.
  • Pineapples
    Thank you! you ROCK!
This discussion has been closed.