Dealing with life stress while trying to get/stay fit

Options
I've been under a lot of stress lately. Some good, most bad. I'm not complaining as that is to be expected in life. I know the stress is temporary and I will get through it, but I'm struggling to find the energy and time to workout.

This is the type of thing that causes people to fall off the wagon. We get excited when things are going good and there are no major obstacles to staying focus and on track. I know I have to hang on and wait it out.

In the past, I would stop and it could be 6 months before I get back to working out. I'm guessing that is probably better than most but still I'd like to do better.

I'm wondering if anyone has or is currently dealing with trying to maintain while experiencing stressful situations. If anyone has gone through a rough patch but still stuck with it maybe you can share some pointers.

Replies

• lgeren
    lgeren Posts: 45
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My dad was diagnosed with cancer 4 years ago & it has come back every single year even though treatment & God's hand of protection has healed him each & every time. Well we didn't get very good news this week & I have been extermely stressed out. I can't sleep, therefore I don't have the energy to workout (although somedays this week I've just suffered through it), and what I want to do is snack all day long. I'm so depressed & sad for my Dad, Mom, & us. My brother & his family live several thousand miles away so it's all me dealing w/ the stress & of course all the extra stuff falls on me.

Sorry to blab all my problems but I needed to vent. Thanks for posting. Just know you are not alone in the stress dept & that we will get through it!!
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Oh have I really. I work out for about 3 hours a day. I am also a vegetarian. My mother is in an abusive relationship and is finally getting a divorce and its hard for me because I am too far away to protect her. I also just got a new job working longer hours a lot further away. She just called me yesterday crying at the sheriff's department telling me about the bruises, while I am working outside in the cold and rain on someones car for free. I didn't get home till 1030 pm last night. I woke up at 4 am. Went to work. And after, went to the gym and sparred for a couple of hours. So I am stressed out. Like mad. And do it everyday. Thats pretty much my schedule. 400 am till 415 pm is work. 530 to 930 gym. everyday man. Tell me im not stressed. If I can do it, anyone can. I deal with depression daily and I still continue to rock on. This is life man. Deal with your problems and live the best you can.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm experiencing financial stress. Two weeks ago it seemed like everything was hitting at once and I wanted to quit my job, say eff you to the world and hole up in my house. It blows when life gets like that doesnt it?

For me it seems like I get going at the gym and on the path of losing weight and then some nasty life event happens and I don't go to the gym for weeks on end. This time I have to just gut it out and keep going...even if I have to just limit going to the gym, something is better than nothing. And even that little something will help send happy endorphins to your brain and help you both feel better and deal better.

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time...hang in there.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I've been under a lot of stress for the last 6 months. Prior to that I had an issue with my knee that made me take it easy for about 2 months, which meant no working out but still eating pretty healthy. Then came a big shock that ended up with me being pretty much separated from my husband (although we still live together), having to look for a full time job after staying at home the last 11 years. I ended up losing weight in the beginning, but was still eating pretty healthy, just not enough. While I was still watching the things I ate and didn't eat junk food, I wasn't taking some personal time for myself to work out. I was so stressed with looking for a job, taking care of the kids, and having to deal with my emotional stress that I didn't have time to exercise. That has since changed after about 6 months (like you said) and am now working on me and staying healthy. My other motivation is job related since I have to be physically fit for the job I'm applying for, but that was just the kick I needed to get me back on track. I wish I had started my running back when the stress started because when I get outside it gives me a chance to think by myself and not worry about other things.

I guess I didn't give very much advice but it did help me a lot when I started focusing more on myself and staying healthy than the actual stress, since I couldn't change that situation but I could still keep myself healthy. It gave me a different thing to focus on and now I feel a lot better after I've gone for my run because I've done something positive for myself. Eventually things will get better and as long as you take care of yourself you'll also feel better. Sorry I couldn't help more :smile:
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Those are some tough situations. I empathize with each of you. I won't go into the details of my stress because they involve people who may read this and I have to respect their privacy.

It is really tough to have friends or family members going through a difficult time. It seems almost petty to take time for yourself to lift weights or run on the treadmill. They would never ask me to give that up but there is still the feeling I should put aside my own needs and focus on theirs. The truth is that I wouldn't be helping by sulking and brooding over it.

I wish I could go back to when I dealt with difficult situations before and kick myself. I did end up losing the weight and got back into shape eventually but there were months where I wasn't myself. There was a time about 7 months ago when I looked at how out of shape I was and said, "What the heck am I doing to myself?". That's when I had to face reality and get back to who I really am.

This may be difficult topic but I'm guessing that most people will relate this to at least one time in their lives.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Just don't ever give up.
  • bergswoman
    Options
    I turn all that stress to the eliptial and gods hands!