Protein

Options
I am having a hard time getting enough protein in my diet. For me, dinner is the easiest place to add protein. I know eggs for breakfast would be a wise choice, however, I really don't have time in the morning. I also add a 100-calorie packet of almonds or eat sunflower seeds during the day, but other than that, I'm struggling.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• erin0412
    erin0412 Posts: 21
    Options
    I am having a hard time getting enough protein in my diet. For me, dinner is the easiest place to add protein. I know eggs for breakfast would be a wise choice, however, I really don't have time in the morning. I also add a 100-calorie packet of almonds or eat sunflower seeds during the day, but other than that, I'm struggling.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.
  • slsilvis
    slsilvis Posts: 4
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are easy. Take for in your lunch. I also like cheese sticks, the individual packs are very convenient. Yogurt is a good source also.
    51597.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    WOW.. I am always over... BUT... This is what i eat in a day...

Grilled chicken
    TUNA eat the whole 6 oz drianed can and its quite a few but only 175 cal
    WHOLE GRAIN MINI BAGELS 90 cal but 3g prot.
    Lite Cream cheese...
    Lite dannon yougurt
    some fruits
    granola
    Ball park ff hotdogs
    Penut butter.....

im over 6 proteines today and i still have quite a few cal's left
  • erin0412
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I know I sound ignorant about this, but I'm truly just getting started. I get overwhelmed - - gravitating towards carbs, trying to avoid fats (but loving them), and swapping out more of that for proteins. You know I'll try the hardboiled eggs for lunch. I grew up in the "clear your plate" era - not even aware of what was on it! LOL
  • spaul82478
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I know I sound ignorant about this, but I'm truly just getting started. I get overwhelmed - - gravitating towards carbs, trying to avoid fats (but loving them), and swapping out more of that for proteins. You know I'll try the hardboiled eggs for lunch. I grew up in the "clear your plate" era - not even aware of what was on it! LOL
    YEAH i know the feeling... I normally go over on fiber and protien but am always under on fat... Eat but you'll eventually get used to it.. I mean I LOVED cheese sticks and a great juicy buger and pan fries...lol.. but now im satisfied with LEAN ham meat... still great.. i LOVE grilled ff hotdogs esp burnt and tuna... They put me on a high proteine and fiber diet and I eat a can of tuna lt may and a kangaroo pita for less than 300 cals and it filling if you like veggies add tom and lettuce.. good luck... :bigsmile:
  • erin0412
    Options
    Spaul*** - I just read your post - thank you for ideas. I'm just trying to create my shopping list and I'll definitely include these items and lots of eggs. With all that protein, how do you feel? How is it going? I tried a high protein/low carb diet (Carbo Addicts Diet) many years back and found I felt better and it worked.
  • erin0412
    Options
    SPaul - Just saw the reply that indicates how your doing - we must have been typing at the same time. Thanks - good luck to you!
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Hi Erin! I feel your pain!!! I'm pretty much in the same situation. I don't get enough protein and don't usually have time in the morning to do the egg thing. And I too grew up in the clean your plate ages!!! I remember sitting at the dinner table for HOURS after every one else got up. LOL

Well, Good Luck, and let me know if you figure out some good tricks for extra protein. My personal trainer recommended using protein powder to make shakes, so I'm gonna try that. :)
  • erin0412
    Options
    OMG - Sitting there for HOURS is right, I swallowed my peas like pills, tried to hide food in napkins, had siblings literally falling on the floor, feigning terminal illness instead of eating something that may have contained onions or had a greenish hue. LOL
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

I cook Eggbeaters on Sunday night and scoop out a half cup each morning before I run out the door. I also cook turkey bacon (Esskay is my favorite brand) and grab a piece to go along with the eggs. If I'm not in the mood for that I make an english muffin and put a Tbsp of peanut butter on it.
  • Gigi2008
    Gigi2008 Posts: 7
    Options
    I eat Great Value- 1% Milkfat- Lowfat-Small Curd - Cottage Cheese, 1 cup and tomatoes. It has 160 calories and 26 protein. Just a suggestion.
  • spaul82478
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thanks.. Well the dr told me I have PCOS and am insulin resistant i was trying to have a baby with my ex husband and found out im not supposed to eat sugars and white breads and starchs and stuff like that so they gave me ideas on what to eat.. I love it cuz im full.. YES i still love my ice cream. I am also on weight watchers as well..... I eat Whole wheat breads lite buns, lots of protein and cheese. I have been on this site for a bout two months now.. My first step was giving up pop and junk food. I allow certian low fat t hings but i dont really indulge.... GOOD luck to you.. and keep me informed on how u r doing
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Toast with some kind of nut butter for breakfast would be fairly quick. But don't just stick with peanut butter.... most good healthfood stores have almond butters and cashew butter. Or make your own on the weekend (someone on here mentioned they made their own cashew butter.)

Crockpot old fashioned oatmeal cooked overnight (if you're just cooking for one, save the rest to heat in the microwave.) There is no comparison between instant oatmeal and the cooked all night in the crockpot kind (whole oats, not the instant one-minute kind). (protein from the milk you pour on it :wink: )

I also save my dill and other kind of pickle juice and put peeled hard boiled eggs in there to pickle. Much more palatable than regular hard boiled eggs (beet juice marinated eggs are especially good.) Of course, the sodium would be higher...
  • Me too, I am trying to get at least 10 grams of protein in each of my 5 small meals.

I don't have a problem with getting the protein, it''s the variety. I LOVE my protein shakes! I have an Advocare Meal Replacement Shake in the morning - 24g protein, 220 calories - and quick and easy to make, and usually an Advocare Muscle Gain shake for a snack - 25g protein and only 135 calories. I will have chicken or fish or some other lean meat, too. My goal is at least 100g protein per day.

Gotta be careful with peanut butter, cheese, yogurt - the calories & the carbs and the FAT. Peanut butter and most cheese have way more fat than protein, so I don't use those as protein sources.

I am getting bored with the chicken tenders, though. So any ideas for good lean, quick and easy protein sources are welcomed.
  • spaul82478
    Options
    Me too, I am trying to get at least 10 grams of protein in each of my 5 small meals.

I don't have a problem with getting the protein, it''s the variety. I LOVE my protein shakes! I have an Advocare Meal Replacement Shake in the morning - 24g protein, 220 calories - and quick and easy to make, and usually an Advocare Muscle Gain shake for a snack - 25g protein and only 135 calories. I will have chicken or fish or some other lean meat, too. My goal is at least 100g protein per day.

Gotta be careful with peanut butter, cheese, yogurt - the calories & the carbs and the FAT. Peanut butter and most cheese have way more fat than protein, so I don't use those as protein sources.

I am getting bored with the chicken tenders, though. So any ideas for good lean, quick and easy protein sources are welcomed.
    I eat light yougurt and either fat free cheese or 2 % and penutbutter.. i use sparingly.. the nutrients say 2 tbs on must pb... but i only use 1 tbs or a tsp.... it normally satisfiys me... Cottage cheese is good, tuna and most lunch meats... I eat lean ham meat, very good and heatly is laurs lean beef, or 90/10 ham meat from kroger or meijer, fat free hotdogs are also good, (best grilled) or turkey hot dogs.... I eat really good (most days) and always over in protein and never in fat. so hope these will be good sources..... :bigsmile:
  • It doesn't matter that you are eating only a Tbs of peanut butter - why eat it at all? Take a look, no matter how much you eat the fat is 2 - 3 times the protein. And cheese is high fat. too. Maybe mozzerella or string cheese. And yogurt, even light yogurt is still 100 calories and not really much protein for that amount. Why not have a chicken tender or 2 for about the same calories, and way more protein. You will be feeding muscle which will boost your metabolism and help you with that insulin issue. You just need to be sure to always get fiber & protein to keep satisfied

I know easier said than done, I have my food diary listed in my blog, you can see that I sure don;t always follow my own rules.

But I do not even buy peanut butter, rarely get cheese or yogurt except maybe baby size for my daughter or plain for recipe substitutes.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, I'm always over on Protein and have cals and carbs left over. I eat cereal with yogurt in the morning, a wrap with lunchmeat ( lean ham, roast beef, turkey breast, even steak umms) and a vegetable or salad on the side. For dinner lean pork, chicken, fish or even beef, I like a variety and eating the same thing all the time is boring for me. I can't say I'm starving and one of my favorite snacks is peanutbutter and apples. As long as I have enough calories left i eat healthy but also things I like. If I cut out food I will eventually get tired of it and go back to eating junk... and I feel so much better eating healthy foodand yes peanutbutter or nuts in general should be in a healthy diet.
  • spaul82478
    Options
    It doesn't matter that you are eating only a Tbs of peanut butter - why eat it at all? Take a look, no matter how much you eat the fat is 2 - 3 times the protein. And cheese is high fat. too. Maybe mozzerella or string cheese. And yogurt, even light yogurt is still 100 calories and not really much protein for that amount. Why not have a chicken tender or 2 for about the same calories, and way more protein. You will be feeding muscle which will boost your metabolism and help you with that insulin issue. You just need to be sure to always get fiber & protein to keep satisfied

I know easier said than done, I have my food diary listed in my blog, you can see that I sure don;t always follow my own rules.

But I do not even buy peanut butter, rarely get cheese or yogurt except maybe baby size for my daughter or plain for recipe substitutes.
    Hmmm Not sure where your looking but string cheese and 2% cheese don't have much fat and yougurt only has 60 cals and no fat.... Calcium is a very big nutrient you need.... cottage cheese as well.. I have to eat a high protein diet and low fat and low carb only 100 cal of whole grains per meal.. which is 4 x a day.... and Peanut butter is good for you but only in small amounts.. I eat it with an apple just to hold me over.. ITS VERY FILLING.. Thats why I eat it... I do just fine with fat acutally i am under every day with fat grams and over with protein and whole grains every day... hmmmm hope this helps.... :bigsmile:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I eat lowfat plain yogurt - one cup has 120 cals, 2 g fat, and 10 g protein. Mix it in with some high protein cereal like Kashi and you can get about 1/2 your protein for the day just at breakfast. Very filling!

Eating meat is really the easiest way to get a ton of protein. Dairy and beans are easy sources too.
  • MsLadybug
    MsLadybug Posts: 55
    Options
    It doesn't matter that you are eating only a Tbs of peanut butter - why eat it at all? Take a look, no matter how much you eat the fat is 2 - 3 times the protein. And cheese is high fat. too. Maybe mozzerella or string cheese. And yogurt, even light yogurt is still 100 calories and not really much protein for that amount. Why not have a chicken tender or 2 for about the same calories, and way more protein. You will be feeding muscle which will boost your metabolism and help you with that insulin issue. You just need to be sure to always get fiber & protein to keep satisfied

Nuts have the good kinds of fat like olive oil etc.. If you don't eat any dairy what do you do for calcium? Eat lots of greens?

Personally, for protein I eat seafood, tofu, lowfat dairy, and eggs. I don't eat meat or chicken. I get a lot of protein from tuna, usually for lunch. Egg whites are good but too time consuming during the work week.

Today I had whole wheat toast (which has 6g of protein in two slices), light cream cheese (2g protein)and 50g of smoked salmon for breakfast (10g of protein), which was really nice(294 calories). I can only have that occassionally because the smoked salmon is higher on the sodium scale then I like.