Where to start??

samrockrocks
samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone! Here's my question: where do I begin with exercising?! I know being active in general is going to do me a lot of greatness. I've made a habit of going to a gym, but I'm beginning to move towards home workouts. School starts back up next week and I just know I'll make excuses to NOT go to the gym on campus when I live off campus.

I've started the JM 30 Day Shred but so far I cannot get through even one circuit completely. I totally cheat. The reason?? I have asthma and cannot breathe despite using my inhaler! Every day shows progress, though.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home (2 or 3 mile) DVD. I tried it out on my parents' ondemand and I could manage to get through it all and still break a sweat and feel the burn. (if you aren't familiar, it isn't JUST plain 'ol walking!)

I also really like step aerobics, but my asthma can't handle much of it. I'm considering trying Tonya Larson's Step Pump.

The Biggest Loser's Boot Camp looks like it might be something I'd enjoy also!

I want a lot of variety because I'm afraid I'll get bored easily and stop doing the work. I did that after like a week of the Wii Fit. That system is a joke! I really like the balance board, but the Fit game was disappointing. (I digress)

SOOO your suggestions?? does this all sound like a plan? i know i have to start somewhere and build upwards.

background: i want to lose about 20 pounds and it's all in my thighs and hips/butt. i'm 5'7'', and i've been trying my best to watch my calories and so far i think i've done pretty good.

thank you for reading all my ramblings!

Replies

• ok ... know exactly where yr coming from , coz i am also asthmatic ... (bear this in mind .. some olympic aqthletes are too .. so it isnt a reason not to do it . ) if yr like me .. i tend to use my asthma as an excuse to stop .. but actually if u push thru u can do it ... i also struggle with a lot of what i call "jumpy" exercise .. but have just discovered "zumba" its a latin/ american dance workout with not too much jumping , just a lot of booty shaking .. its fun , its hi impact , and u will sweat like pig whilst shaking yr booty try it !
  • samrockrocks
    i actually have been to zumba before and i hated it! haha.

i should have also mentioned that i can't do much running and jumping because i have a bum ankle
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Hello,

I have three kids and have no time to get to the gym - so I'm a huge fan of in house training. For years I've been using The Firm video workouts and I find them amazing.

www.firmdirect.com

I don't know about the new "express" that they have, but I'm sure it's great too.

Make sure you buy weights (I use 15, 10, 8,& 5lbs) to really see great results.

Good luck
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. Watch your calories/nutrition and make sure what you eat is conducive to your goals. Home workouts sound great -- especially if you've found one that manages to engage you as well as force you to work!

If you have access to an on-campus gym though, I'd highly recommend you go for the weights. Even if you live off campus and manage to go once a week that'll still be invaluable. You can do a full body circuit on machines 1x a week and focus more on cardio and calorie burning at home the rest of the time.

I'd also recommend that you write down your workout and fitness plans! I make excel spreadsheets that I use but even a planner or a calendar will work. Having set days and goals for workouts has been key in keeping me on track. :bigsmile:
  • samrockrocks
    thank you all for your responses :)
This discussion has been closed.