with regard to walking on the treadmill.....

iamstaceywood
iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
what would be better, calorie burn wise, more incline or more speed? I am sick and am thinking of watching some shows i have missed over the last few days that i was just laying in bed dying. I have a no tv on the couch/in the bed rule. I have to watch them on the treadmill and normally i walk at a 3.2mph but, was thinking of dropping the speed and upping the incline to compensate for it.
so my question is, how much speed can i make up for with incline?

Replies

• tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    If I remember right, a trainer at the gym told me that the incline makes a huge difference - a big incline - not just a little one though. I think he said if you cranked the incline way up and walked at the same pace, you'd burn calories like you were running. This was a year ago, though - I may be remembering wrong.
  • I would keep it at the speed you are at and try a little bit of an incline at a time. I normally walk 3.5 with an incline of 1.0-2.0. Just try it and see how you feel. I don't use the incline while I'm running though.
  • Since you aren't feeling well, I would just do a leisurely walk on the treadmill. Then maybe do another leisurely walk on the treadmill later today. I have been upping my incline in small increments every couple of days. I upped it too fast one day and my calves were killing me the next day and so were the muscles in my left butt cheek!

Your body is already stressed with the illness. So take it easy!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    I do intervals. I warm up for 5 min, then I inclline to 10 for a min or 2 then I drop it and increase the speed for a few then I repeat.

If you were that sick, I think I would stick with a moderate paces walk though. You are probably weekend and not eating enough that you will burn mucscle not fat. Make sure you get some carbs and protiens in you today.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • safetyscott
    safetyscott Posts: 66 Member
    I do 3.5 mph @ 12-14% incline for 1 - 1 1/2 hours ... you get used to it...takes a few days for your calves to quit aching tho ..lol
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    I love the incline! You burn a significantly more amount of calories using a decent incline and lower speed. On my machine, I set it to 10 (out of 15) incline and start at about 2.8 or 3 mph, and increase by .2 every 10 minutes or so. I do this for 30 minutes and burn about 350+ calories. If you can stay at about 3.2-3.5 you will burn like 400+ cals. Of course depending on your body type. Not to mention, I am getting some killer calves!
This discussion has been closed.