potassium toxicity

Options
so many people only concern themselves with protein, fat, and carb % and maybe like myself, wonder why they don't feel good? I've often had an irregular heart beat and felt faint even though I "thought" I was eating well. Can't ignore it any more. I want whole nutrition. NOT from a supplement, but from the FOOD I EAT.

What are toxicity symptoms for potassium?

Elevated blood levels of potassium can be toxic, and may cause an irregular heartbeat or even heart attack. Under most circumstances, the body maintains blood levels of potassium within a tight range, so it is not usually possible to produce symptoms of toxicity through intake of potassium-containing foods and/or supplements.However, high intakes of potassium salts (potassium chloride and potassium bicarbonate) may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and/or ulcers.

In addition, the kidneys play an important role in eliminating excess potassium from the body, so if you suffer from kidney disease, you must severely limit your intake of potassium. To date, the National Academy of Sciences has not established a Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for potassium.

Replies

• NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I agree... we need to look at the overall nutritional value- not just the calories! I adjusted my settings last night as I discovered the automatic "guided" settings MFP had for me for potassium was extremely under the RDI for a woman of my age... I upped it immediately and as always will pay attention to this number as well! Thanks!
  • SteeleMagnolia
    Options
    Doesn't drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day flush out the extra potassium? I try to eat natural whole foods instead of relying on 'enriched' foods but sometimes we do get over loaded on some things without realizing it.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you're eating clean, it won't be an issue. Potassium chloride and potassium bicarbonate are almost exclusively found in processed foods and sodas.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    Isn't it LOW levels of potassium that cause irregular heart beat & heart problems? Too low potassium can be caused by vomiting, diarrhea or use of diuretics (and I *think* by drinking way too much water). Crash diets and diet pill use are notorious for causing low potassium, most news stories regarding dieters collapsing usually mention low potassium & heart problems.
  • SDLester
    Options
    When I first started this program (Nov 21st) I quickly noticed that my potassium levels were very low. What I did was started buying low sodium V8 ( 11.5 oz can has 1180 grams of potassium ) and made sure I always got my daily goal of potassium (3500 grams) As a results my energy levels quickly picked up and I am now doing 2 hours of cardio work outs daily (1 hour in the am and 1 hr in the pm) and I am down slightly over 30 pounds. I am now feeling much better and am only 15 pounds from my target weight :)
  • SDLester
    Options
    It is important to have a healthy, well-balanced diet of potassium rich foods. Potassium is necessary for the body to maintain the balance of pH levels in our body fluids. It is also involved in regulating our blood pressure, bone mass, nervous system, muscle function, and heart, kidney, and adrenal functions.

Potassium deficiency can result in hypokalemia. Symptoms include increase in blood pressure, heart irregularities, hypertension, muscular weakness, muscle cramps and constipation.

Here’s a list of potassium rich foods you can include in your diet today:

Foods with Potassium Serving Size Potassium (mg)
    Apricots, dried 10 halves 407
    Avocados, raw 1 ounce 180
    Bananas, raw 1 cup 594
    Beets, cooked 1 cup 519
    Brussel sprouts, cooked 1 cup 504
    Cantaloupe 1 cup 494
    Dates, dry 5 dates 271
    Figs, dry 2 figs 271
    Kiwi fruit, raw 1 medium 252
    Lima beans 1 cup 955
    Melons, honeydew 1 cup 461
    Milk, fat free or skim 1 cup 407