Example of Accuracy of MFP Exercise Calories

TrainerRobin
TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I thought I'd share this with you, but I do so with the caveat that it is one example and the lesson may not be directly accurate for others at different weights and fitness levels and with different activities.

I own and use a Garmin 310XT HR watch which is the only one (to my knowledge) that doesn't use an algorhythm to predict calories burned but actually calculates it on a person's actual heart rate through exercise (cardio only!). I believe it to be the most accurate calorie burn calculator on the market (that's why I paid the crazy $400 for the watch).

That said, I just finished an easy run, at 5 mph (to ensure I was comparing apples to apples re MFP exercise numbers) for 42 minutes. My TRUE calorie burn was 370 calories. But when I entered the 43 minutes (I had to add one minute because once I had "taught" MFP that 370 was correct, it wouldn't return to its own number and I neglected to write it down first), MFP told me that I had burned 460 calories.

That's an error of 90 calories -- not insignificant in my mind.

I attribute the lower actual number to my cardio fitness since I'm a regular runner and thus my heart doesn't pound as fast as maybe the average person's would during a run. So the error margin is going to be different for each person/exercise/duration.

I have found in the past that MFP seems to overestimate calorie burn by a MINIMUM of 20% for me.

I tell you that not to fault MFP because I believe that their numbers are probably the best that anyone could use for the average individual seeking to diet and lose weight. I share this only so that y'all don't take the numbers too seriously. If you seem to be hitting a plateau, consider shaving a bit of credit off the MFP exercise numbers and see if that helps at all.

Replies

• cfaye01
    cfaye01 Posts: 20
    Thanks for this post!
  • k8tmama
    k8tmama Posts: 58
    That's helpful. Whenever I go to the gym, I use the numbers from the machines (elliptical, etc) and enter those in...MFP is often nearly twice the estimate on the machine (950 something for 55 minutes on the elliptical according to MFP, but the machine said 550). It said I burned about 550 calories cleaning my house for two hours this morning; I highly doubt it was that high! I broke a sweat, but not the whole time. Anyway, thanks for your research. I figure whatever I do as exercise is bonus calorie burn, and even though MFP increases my calorie allowance, I will try to stay under my usual calorie goal.
  • carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Bump! And Thanks!!!
  • carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Bump! And Thanks!!!
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    I always use the number the machine at the gym says I burned, Sometimes it is over and sometimes it is under what MFP says. MFP does not account for any variations of speed you may do while working out........Also when looking for a generic food I always search for the one with the highest calorie count even though I may feel that my meal was a little under what the database said. Everyone keep up the good work!!!!
  • TrainerRobin
    I share this with y'all because since so many people eat all or some of their exercise calories (that's another topic ... see my previous post on the subject for more information), these numbers are important. I they are eating more exercise calories than they're actually burning, that can wreak havoc on their progress and be discouraging.

And we don't need any of that!!

:)
  • Just wondering if anyone has contacted MFP to find out how and what information their calculations are based on?
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Thanks so much! I have the Polar FT60 and love it! I invested so I could be more accurate instead of just hoping
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    I defintely don't go by MFP calories burned. I find for the most part they overestimate what is really burned. I use EA Active Sports for PS3 and you are hooked up to a heart monitor. That way I know for sure how many calories I am burning.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    That is why I only enter HALF my exercise time on the MFP log. I would rather under estimate than over. I still have about 40 pounds to lose before I get down to the nitty gritty of the exercise portion of getting healthy. At that point I will most likely get a HRM.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I thought I'd share this with you, but I do so with the caveat that it is one example and the lesson may not be directly accurate for others at different weights and fitness levels and with different activities.

I own and use a Garmin 310XT HR watch which is the only one (to my knowledge) that doesn't use an algorhythm to predict calories burned but actually calculates it on a person's actual heart rate through exercise (cardio only!). I believe it to be the most accurate calorie burn calculator on the market (that's why I paid the crazy $400 for the watch).

That said, I just finished an easy run, at 5 mph (to ensure I was comparing apples to apples re MFP exercise numbers) for 42 minutes. My TRUE calorie burn was 370 calories. But when I entered the 43 minutes (I had to add one minute because once I had "taught" MFP that 370 was correct, it wouldn't return to its own number and I neglected to write it down first), MFP told me that I had burned 460 calories.

That's an error of 90 calories -- not insignificant in my mind.

I attribute the lower actual number to my cardio fitness since I'm a regular runner and thus my heart doesn't pound as fast as maybe the average person's would during a run. So the error margin is going to be different for each person/exercise/duration.

I have found in the past that MFP seems to overestimate calorie burn by a MINIMUM of 20% for me.

I tell you that not to fault MFP because I believe that their numbers are probably the best that anyone could use for the average individual seeking to diet and lose weight. I share this only so that y'all don't take the numbers too seriously. If you seem to be hitting a plateau, consider shaving a bit of credit off the MFP exercise numbers and see if that helps at all.

It appears from your user manual that Garmin is using software from Firstbeat Technologies to estimate calories, which, from what I can tell, is one of the better ones out there. Suunto uses the same software. I don't think your device is quite at the top level (such as a Polar RS800x or Suunto T6d) because it does not appear to have to the capacity for beat by beat R-R interval analysis, but it is likely as good as anything else by Polar or Suunto (other than those two models).

However, the Garmin uses algorithms just like any other HRM. There really is no other way to do it. All HRMs measure heart rate, and they use algorithms to interpret the heart rate data and estimate calories based on their validation studies. (If you want to look at the studies, you can go to their website--it looks like they changed it to www.firstbeat,fi . It's in Finnish, but there is an "English" button in the upper part of the screen. If you want to spend $100, they have a more advanced software program for analysing performance--I'm just not sure it is compatible with the Garmin 310.

As far as MFP calorie tables go, I have never used them and never would. They are just not that accurate. The walking and running ones should be pretty close, since they are based on ACSM prediction equations, but the rest are not very useful.

Theoretically, your training status should not mean that much. Calories expended are based on the energy cost of the activity, not on heart rate per se. With training, a submaximal workload will represent a lower percentage of your VO2max (since VO2 max increases with training) so heart rate will be lower, however the actual energy cost of the activity remains the same. In other words, running 5 mph has an intensity of about 8.5 METs (per the ACSM prediction equations). That should be roughly the same for everyone. For a fit person, that might only be 50% of their maximum and an unfit person might find it 100% of their maximum, but it's still 8.5 METs.

If someone is training and their fitness level increases and they do not update the settings in their HRM, then, yes, the calorie number on the HRM will go down. But that's a mistake in the device setup--it doesn't represent what is going on physiologically.

I would be curious to know if they mentioned any of this at the Cooper Institute, and, if so, provided any actual research. Because I have searched PubMed high and low and can't find any. Quite frankly, in the exercise physiology field, it's not a subject of much importance.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Inability to accurately measure individual caloric burn is one of the big issues I have w/ "eating" exercise calories.

I just stick to a "sweet spot" of 1400-1600 and listen to my body. If I stay in that range I lose weight @ a healthy rate of 1-2#/week. When I get off track....that's another story :-)
  • TrainerRobin

Theoretically, your training status should not mean that much. Calories expended are based on the energy cost of the activity, not on heart rate per se. With training, a submaximal workload will represent a lower percentage of your VO2max (since VO2 max increases with training) so heart rate will be lower, however the actual energy cost of the activity remains the same. In other words, running 5 mph has an intensity of about 8.5 METs (per the ACSM prediction equations). That should be roughly the same for everyone. For a fit person, that might only be 50% of their maximum and an unfit person might find it 100% of their maximum, but it's still 8.5 METs.

I would be curious to know if they mentioned any of this at the Cooper Institute, and, if so, provided any actual research. Because I have searched PubMed high and low and can't find any. Quite frankly, in the exercise physiology field, it's not a subject of much importance.

I'm with you on the METs figures, but I recently read a research paper that seemed to add a bit to that concept and said that they are now thinking that there is more of a difference between energy expenditure for the same activity in fit and unfit individuals than they used to believe. I'll have to dig up more on that subject ... if you have reading suggestions, please share. I'd love to read more of the latest on that one.

I will definitely dig around and see if Cooper has anything new on this. They're pretty good at sharing the newest information, but I'm not sure I've seen anything on all of this from them lately. If I come up with anything, I'll absolutely share. If you find something noteworthy, please do the same!

Thanks!

:)
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    bump
This discussion has been closed.