HRM question

running_mom
running_mom Posts: 204 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I bought a HRM watch. It's middle of the road. It has a couple of functions. One is to count the calories you burn. Would it be possible for me to wear it all day to get an estimate of what I burn through the day? Or for example when I go on a cleaning rampage or shoveling the snow? I know it wouldn't be exact, just want some sort of idea.

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    I use a HRM that is a watch, too. Mine works by laying two fingertips on the watch and then it checks my heart rate. I only use it when I am working out, though. For it to be accurate, I have to check my heart rate every 3-4 minutes while working out. It only takes about 5 or 6 seconds and I don't stop moving while I do it. I have found it to be within 20 or 30 calories of what MFP says everytime. If yours is like mine, to get it for the whole day, you would have to check it all day.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I bought a HRM watch. It's middle of the road. It has a couple of functions. One is to count the calories you burn. Would it be possible for me to wear it all day to get an estimate of what I burn through the day? Or for example when I go on a cleaning rampage or shoveling the snow? I know it wouldn't be exact, just want some sort of idea.

No. HRMs cannot be used for that purpose. Even the good ones are only programmed to work properly during steady-state aerobic exercise.

HRMs do NOT measure calories expended. They measure heart rate. They use mathematical equations, based on factors such as heart rate, age, gender, weight, etc, to estimate calories expended. However, those equations are only valid under very specific conditions--such as I described above.
This discussion has been closed.