Day of rest help

Options
Does anyone else have a hard time--mentally---taking a day off from exercise?:frown:

I enjoy exercising and it gives me a mental boost. But I know I need to take a day off. It is not even 8am and I am already questioning whether or not I should do something!!

Someone tell me it's ok and my body needs it!!!

Replies

• ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a hard time--mentally---taking a day off from exercise?:frown:

I enjoy exercising and it gives me a mental boost. But I know I need to take a day off. It is not even 8am and I am already questioning whether or not I should do something!!

Someone tell me it's ok and my body needs it!!!
  • Luxuria
    Luxuria Posts: 13
    Options
    It's really good that you're so keen to exersize everyday, i have the opposite problem lol, i need motivation, but it's true that you do need a day just to relax, maybe do something thats not a heavy workout like going for a walk or doing some stretching? =]
    xx
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Day of rest? What's that? I actually think I've become addicted to exercising. And not just any exercising. The kind of exercising where I'm drenched in sweat and breathless and crawling out of the gym. And I need my exercise calories burned so that I can eat. Otherwise, I just go over (How do people have extra calories at the end of the day:explode: ) But realize, every day you get up and get out of bed your exercising to some extent. So yes, take it easy. Do something leisurely. Even that can be a form of exercise. So have fun, enjoy your day. Your body and mind will probably thank you!!!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time "resting" too. I know I should plan a day of rest, but I just keep going until something comes up (like going to visit my mom) and then I don't get to exercise. I'm better during the school year (I teach kindergarten), but during the summer, I have all the time in the world to exercise! If you figure out something to take away the guilt, let me know :ohwell:
  • nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well, if you don't want to take off you certainly don't have to. I know people who only take off on holidays. For myself, I take one day a week off. I schedule it in, and really watch my calories that day. It is usually on Sunday, but this week I'm taking today. I really don't feel guilty because I have worked it into my weekly schedule (calories eaten, calories burned, etc). Mentally I need a day off. My workouts on the day after my off day are always awesome because I come back kind of rejuvinated.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You don't have to just lie in bed all day, although I assure you that if you overtrain, you'll come upon a day like that! :laugh: You can do something lightly active like going for a walk or an easy hike, or a relaxing bike ride, etc. You shouldn't lift, as that's taxing on both your muscles and your central nervous system, but a light cardiovascular activity is fine. Rest days are great for beginner-yoga videos too, they're not very difficult and they are a great way to get your flexibility training in.