New- 1st time

cathylooney
cathylooney Posts: 2
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
:smile:
Hi, its me. I am a 47 yr. old, wife, mother, and school teacher in Southwest, VA. I want to be in better shape by summer and for life. I want to eat better and make better food choices, but I don't really know what to do. I want to have energy to keep up with my 10 year old and to be able to play with my grandchildren when the 23 yr. old son has some.
I have started exercising 3 nights a week at a Boot Camp with a great trainer as the leader. She is very encouraging and even checks out our food diaries on myfitnesspal. It is the other 4 days and time I am not at boot camp that I can't seem to get moving.
My husband, also a teacher, cooks most (all) of our suppers. He grew up on a farm, so there is a meat, and at least 2 vegetables at every dinner. Hotdogs and fries included. We do eat chicken, some fish, lots of garden veggies during the summer.
My toughest meals are breakfast, snacks while at school, packed lunches, snacks at home.
If I get up at 5:30am to walk on treadmill, which really gives me energy for the day, I only have 10-15 mins. for breakfast. I can eat a quick snack, shake, protein bar, nuts, during the school day before or after lunch. But what can I pack for lunch (at 12:50pm) that is easy to prepare, tastes good and will keep me full until supper, at 5:30pm. Then what do I eat for a snack at night when the son and hubby are eating icecream and popcorn.
Woe is me. It can be accomplished, I will succeed.

Replies

• sharonmac
    sharonmac Posts: 119
    Welcome to mfp!!! This site is awesome and everyone is so helpful!!! I have had to change alot of my eating habits. I want to get skinny for summer time. Some things I like to eat are oatmeal, cream of wheat, toat and peanut butter. As the peanut butter is filling for me. I usually eat it on whaet toast. As far as the popcornat night....you could eat the less butter kind. I do know that popcorn isnt all thathigh in calories and it is yummy!! I have found since being here that moderation is the key. I still eat the things I like. Just less of it. It takes some time to train your body to change. I was so used to eating bigger portions but my stomach seems to have gotten used to eating the smaller portions. Another thing is water!!!!!! I didnt think it was before but since I came back to mfp, I have been faithful to drinking my water everyday and it has helped me lose the weight. I have only lost 7lbs so far but I know the water is key and I have already felt a difference. I dont crave to much junk anymore. Hope this helps. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • I found some nice recipes on the Kraft foods website such as tortilla soup or allrecipes.com. If you eat it in proper portions, its not too bad for you. The soup, once I added all ingredients into the recipe tool, and said how many containers I split it into, turned out to be 72 calories per serving. And thats a cup and half serving. I take it to work all the time. Right now I also stay away from potatoes and sodas to jumpstart. Look at how your husband is cooking the vegetables too, make sure its a light method instead of heavy oils. I just found a pre sliced squash medley that I sauteed in canola oil and minced garlic and even my fast food junkie brother ate it.

Also, consider plain popcorn (low sodium) or a piece of fruit. Is there a way to make a fruit sundae (fruit yogurt parfait, homeade?) and get your family to join you in eating healthy? If they aren't eating healthy too, its harder to stay on track. And it would be good for them even if they are skinny. But thats why we're here for you.
This discussion has been closed.