Sushi

Options
Apparently I've been wrong about sushi being good for you. I try to have it once a week, but it looks like I won't anymore. I can't believe that 1 spicy tuna roll is 360 calories and 40 grams of carbs!!!! I'm literally shocked!!!! =(

Replies

• Eileen11
    Options
    I had the unagi Maki roll and it is 260 calaries and in the database. Try that next time
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's quite a bit. Sushi is my absolute fave. I make my cheat splurge once a month or so on sushi. It's the rice & whatnot that kills it. Ugggh. i feel your pain.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    It's the raw fish and the seaweed that is good for you. Nobody says you have to give it up. Some nutrient dense things have lots of calories in them. Calories can also be looked at as ENERGY. At a lot of sushi places you can order it with brown rice instead of white rice. That makes a different in the nutrition value some. I chose to go to a belt sushi place for this reason, I get more variety instead of having to only choose one roll of 8or9 pieces I can have 2 different kinds with 4pieces each. Feels like you got more. ;) and I will usually have 2 rolls total and some edamame (a couple plates) lol
    I still enjoy me some sushi once a month or so. I just work it into my day and I chose wisely. :-D
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You go to second rate places and/or only eat maki sushi.
    Go to a REALLY good sushi place and get nigiri shushi. Large piece of excellent fish, little sushi rice under it.
    The nigiri sushi is a good fast way to grade a place. The larger the piece of fish and smaller the amount of rice, the better the place! At least in Japan, but should work elsewhere too..
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I once thought sushi was good for losing weight, too. I was very saddened when I found out I had to let it go. I am a HUGE sushi fan, but I'll do what I have to do to reach my goal.

If you have the time for it, you could probably prepare a healthier version of your own, and buy your ingredients from an asian supermarket. My sister had bought me a seaweed roll to snack with, but the instruction on it gives me the impression that you can roll anything into it and cut it into small pieces.
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    Yeah, I was so disappointed. I won't deprive myself of it, but rather than once a week, I think I'll do it once a month. I'll see about the brown rice option too. Thanks guys!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I once thought sushi was good for losing weight, too. I was very saddened when I found out I had to let it go. I am a HUGE sushi fan, but I'll do what I have to do to reach my goal.

If you have the time for it, you could probably prepare a healthier version of your own, and buy your ingredients from an asian supermarket. My sister had bought me a seaweed roll to snack with, but the instruction on it gives me the impression that you can roll anything into it and cut it into small pieces.
    Making it at home is an excellent idea, as it is with any foid. :) I think I may screw up the sushi though lol