Protein Shakes

LetItBe4Sanity
LetItBe4Sanity Posts: 41 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I went to the market recently to pick up some protein powder to make shakes for the times that I'm in a rush and need something quick to eat. I talked to one of the guys there and he basically told me I was wrong in everything I thought, that I shouldn't use protein shakes as a meal replacement, etc etc.

He basically confused me like crazy and I have a big tin of protein powder on my shelf now that I haven't used since I bought it a month ago.

I am almost 20 years old, about 15 pounds away from my goal weight, and try to work out for an hour every day (made it so far this year!). The protein he convinced me to buy is Egg White Protein by Mother's.

My question: When and how should I use the shakes? CAN I use it as a meal replacement? Should I use it at all? Before workout? After work out? I'm really lost!

Replies

• melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    I wouldn't use one to replace a meal but as an after workout recovery drink. When used within 30 minutes of exercising, it will help to build lean muscle and your body to recover from exercising.
    I exercise everyday first thing in the morning. I'll have my "recovery drink" after I'm exercising, before my shower.After I'm ready for the day I'll eat breakfast. It helps me feel satisfied until I can have my morning snack.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    I've always used whey protein shakes after I lift weights to help my muscles rebuild, but I've also heard that drinking it before you lift is actually better since it takes a while for the shake to hit your blood stream. Pretty sure they make different types of powder for different purposes, so it's possible there is one that's good to use for meal replacement.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    I have a protien shake after every work out when i get home and follow that with a fruit. Then i wait till lunch for soemthing else.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I use them as meal replacement all the time. You usually have to add a piece of fruit to it to add a carb though. They do have some, like muscle milk, and myoplex that are meant to be meal replacements, but they cost more, and I prefer the flavor and consistency a frozen banana, or some berries add to it.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Depending on the brand you can use a shake as an occasional replacement for a meal. Remember that you should be eating 5 times a day anyway.

Some protein like Pro Complex from ON is low calorie and packs a ton of protein. Some of the best time to drink a shake would be immediately after a good hard workout.
    Be careful because some shakes have an absolute ton of calories because it is designed to pack muscle on bodybuilders, so shop carefully.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    I love muscle milk, a bit off your topic sorry but I will sometimes if its late at night after a workout and I am not starving use it as a meal replacement with a slice of bread and some nutella as my dessert!
  • I haven't used protien shakes before and was told not to use as a meal replacement. What I have been using is this stuff called Wonder Slim. I came across a Youtube channel called ImpatientDieter and inspired me. With these you're supposed to drink 7 meal replacement shakes a day 100 calories each along with 2 small meals. She also does cardio every day. Now I haven't been following in her steps and have altered it a little to fit me but so far I'm doing pretty good. On her site she talks about a lot of things and protien shakes are in her mentions. Just thought I would toss that out there.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post links or not...
  • loonpine2
    loonpine2 Posts: 44 Member
    I use protien shakes right after workout to help recover. I also use protien shake for breakfast but I add a half of yogurt, and fruit into it. It really keeps me full all morning. I don't do it everyday-but on days that I am short on time.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    I don't see the harm in occasionally substituting once for a meal, especially if you're going to add some fruit or nut butters to round it out a bit.

I do the same thing loonpine2 does, and usually have one for breakfast when I'm in a rush or not hungry enough for a "proper" meal.

Did the trainer say why you couldn't use it as a meal replacement?
  • LetItBe4Sanity
    LetItBe4Sanity Posts: 41 Member
    So I see the consensus is to use it for after a workout, so I'll try to keep that in mind and utilize it! Thanks guys! Also, adding stuff to it for breakfast sounds like a great idea.

pkgirrl: he wasn't a trainer, just some guy at Mother's who claimed to know loads about nutrition. He talked a lot, but not in explaining why I shouldn't (at my age) use that as a meal replacement.. sigh. But all of these suggestions seem great, I'll probably go get some fruit and yogurt to add to the shake for a nice breakfast
This discussion has been closed.