looking for petite people

Options
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there are any other petite people out there having a hard time getting fit and toned. A lot of the tips and exercises out there are for people that have a lot more weight to lose than me and can eat a lot more calories than me. I'm 4'11. I don't really care what number the scale says, but I want my body to be toned and lean looking. I'm not trying to starve or get stick skinny, just want that bikini bod everyone does. So if you're short and have any advice on diet and exercise, I'd love to hear it.

Oh and I have no friends on MFP, will you be my friend?

Thanks and here's to an awesome year for all of us,
Opal :happy:

Replies

• StaceG1986
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 5'1, so the extra weight definitely shows!

Feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • Yourfitpal
    Options
    Lift weights. Muscles increase your BMR and you burn more calories at rest.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", shopping for pants is getting better now that I've shrunk, but being petite definitely makes everything harder.

I've realized that strength training is universal, it doesn't matter what height you are, you can still do lots of strength training. I like using DVDs like the 30 Day Shred, it uses light weights and is great for toning! I started going to my local gym recently and I've been learning to use the strength training machines. I like working out with an exercise ball. Get a small one, the huge ones are meant for tall people. You can do crunches on it, push ups, leg lifts, abs, everything. It's a really cheap and useful thing you can buy and workout at home.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I absolutely love pilates for toning! I'm 5'3" on a good day and really love the results I get from pilates for my stomach and sides. Running also does amazing things for my body. I feel lean, energized and my clothes fit better!! Welcome to MFP!
  • RewindApril
    Options
    Oh, so glad I found you! Lol, I'm 5'0, it's definitely harder. :(

I shall add you!
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling I'm only 5 1" and every pound shows
  • JuliaFeirtag
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I second everything Sara just said. I had a lot of success with weights. A lot more than the cardio. Burning a ton of calories all at once on the cardio machines is ok, but you need to tone with weights to raise your metabolize. Most weight machines are adjustable, but there are a few that are too tall (or long) for me to use comfortably. The trainers at the gym helped with that a lot. They showed me the right way to use the machines and the most effective ways. If you are not part of a gym, the videos are ok too. (But personally, I hate those.) Balance balls are great; I have the smaller one at home and like to do toning exercises while watching TV. That's my favorite way to exercise. Good luck!

You can add me too, if you would like. I have about 4 friends and all of us are trying to lose a little weight or just get fit.

Julia
  • charmingopal
    charmingopal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think Pilates is by far the hardest thing I've ever done in my life ... but it is amazing.
  • tigerv68
    tigerv68 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate!! I'm 5 foot even and it's very noticable just going up by a pound or two! On the plus side, it's also very noticable when we take it off :) I've been having some good luck toning with the Wii Active Trainer program (the original, not the newest release). It's pretty good at getting my heart rate up and I can "feel the burn" many days when I get done with it :)
  • JuliaFeirtag
    Options
    Oh! I almost forgot! YOGA!!! I never had a better body than when i did yoga every day! It is the best toning I ever did.
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm short and need short friends, too! Just joined 3 days ago. I just friend requested you. Anyone else want to be friends with me, too?
  • darla48
    darla48 Posts: 25
    Options
    I am also 4'11" and hate how it all shows.
    If you have any tips please share!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" also... I just started last week with MFP. Any and all of you petite ladies are welcome to "friend" me.

Right now, I'm doing the Couch to 5K - I start week 3 on Monday - it's not really meant for weight loss, but it gets me off the couch. I figure any exercise is better than no exercise!
  • redheadlynn
    redheadlynn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" also... I just started last week with MFP. Any and all of you petite ladies are welcome to "friend" me.

Same here! I'm 4'10.5" and would love to hear from others in the same boat.

I don't care ifyou are bigger or smaller (my highest weight was 165)...we all know what it's like being short! :D
  • redheadlynn
    redheadlynn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate!! I'm 5 foot even and it's very noticable just going up by a pound or two! On the plus side, it's also very noticable when we take it off :) I've been having some good luck toning with the Wii Active Trainer program (the original, not the newest release). It's pretty good at getting my heart rate up and I can "feel the burn" many days when I get done with it :)

So true! A few pounds and our clothes feel different. It's awesome when we lose weight. :D
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". I hear ya....3 pounds on me is like 10 on a "normal" person. I have exercise ADD so I run, do the elliptical, yoga (bikram and ashtanga mix), lift weights, bike when it's warm and swim sometimes. I also try to get at least 2 days of strength in - 1 lower body and 1 upper body day. I should probably lift more. I'll add you!
  • charmingopal
    charmingopal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    hey ladies glad to see this thread is still up and running! yes there are some pesky things to keep in mind when people are petite about weight loss. I'm getting together my blog to cater to just this population. Please visit and let me know what kind of things you'll like to hear about. So far I did a blog about that pesky muffin top you can't avoid esp if you're short!

Thanks for keeping the thread going, there are petites all over and we need to unite!

Opal