Not enough calories????

Options
I have consumed under 1100 calories today and I worked out (400 calories) so I know when I go to complete the entry, it is going to yell at me that I am eating too few calories, but I feel satisfied. Why should I feel as if I NEED to find something more to eat when I am not hungry? I know I should have eaten more for breakfast....I only had a yogurt and a gl *kitten* of milk (210 calories) than worked out, lunch was at Applebees (500 calories) and dinner was 302 calories. Should I really consume another 400-500 calories today? This late at night or should I just leave it be for today and do better tomorrow???

Replies

• monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm nor sure what the "correct" thing to do is. If ur not hungry then don't eat. Just try to get at 1200 cals in tomorrow
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    i would never eat after 8pm... have a few pieces of fruit
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'd try to get a few more calories in - in the form of lean protein. That's what you likely burnt when you worked out (400 cal is substantial!). But either way, it's not a big deal if it happens every now-and-then. It's only long term calorie deficiency that'll harm you!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i would never eat after 8pm... have a few pieces of fruit

Be careful with fruit this late! My personal trainer told me to eat all my fruits in the morning - fruit is mainly sugar so you don't want that floating around your body late at night!! :)
  • llaurall
    Options
    I'm usually satisfied at 1100 calories and just choose to ignore the warnings. If you are full, there is no need to over eat.
  • LaurenRose2011
    Options
    You consumer 1100, but your net is only 700. This is just barely more calories than an anorexic consumes, and if you keep it up you will become malnourished. The starvation effect on your body is a very real danger, and by consuming so few calories you will almost certainly shock your body into starvation mode at which point almost all of your intake will be converted to fat and stored.
    I wouldn't suggest eating the full 400-500 calories tonight before bed, but I definitely suggest eating something else before you sleep that will bring your net to at least 950 for today. Tomorrow you can do better. I also suggest making breakfast and lunch your 2 biggest meals of the day. Try structuring your day like this: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, small meal, snack (at most 3 hours before sleep). It makes no sense at all to eat a large dinner when you're essentially sedentary afterward. ;)
    I hope these tips are well received. I wasn't trying to hurt you at all with the anorexic talk, but only to make it well known that consumption that low is very dangerous.
    Good luck tomorrow and beyond. I hope you reach your goals healthily and happily.
  • laineylee
    Options
    Im the same way, always under my 1200, and I work out, but I just cant face more food.
  • laineylee
    Options
    You consumer 1100, but your net is only 700. This is just barely more calories than an anorexic consumes, and if you keep it up you will become malnourished. The starvation effect on your body is a very real danger, and by consuming so few calories you will almost certainly shock your body into starvation mode at which point almost all of your intake will be converted to fat and stored.
    I wouldn't suggest eating the full 400-500 calories tonight before bed, but I definitely suggest eating something else before you sleep that will bring your net to at least 950 for today. Tomorrow you can do better. I also suggest making breakfast and lunch your 2 biggest meals of the day. Try structuring your day like this: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, small meal, snack (at most 3 hours before sleep). It makes no sense at all to eat a large dinner when you're essentially sedentary afterward. ;)
    I hope these tips are well received. I wasn't trying to hurt you at all with the anorexic talk, but only to make it well known that consumption that low is very dangerous.
    Good luck tomorrow and beyond. I hope you reach your goals healthily and happily.

this is sound advice. : )

thank you for sharing.

I edited to add, i think our brains are programmed to rebel against the idea of eating more, and believing that by eating more you will lose more. Its so illogical and hard to thinki of it that way, you know? It seems so alien and counterproductive for me to eat more to lose weight, when I have eaten under 1200 and I have logged a work out that burned 600 to boot. Right now my net is at 575 -- eek
  • jehannenew
    Options
    If you consume too few calories on a consistent basis your body begins to "panic" and store fat. Even if you felt full chances are you were missing out on several essential nutrients. Try sneaking in a few snacks during the day, like a granola bar or a yummy 100 calorie snack pack! Good luck
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, listen to your body. If you need something, then make a healthy choice. I don't worry about time, I always have dinner between 9 & 10 pm. I've lost 254 lbs. I think it comes down to calories in vs. calories out.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I had a granola bar & a glass of 1% milk just to get me over 1200 calories. I just hate to eat this late. I do not want to put my body into starvation mode. I usually have 3 meals & 2 snacks, with the bulk of my calories before dinner but today was unusual since I did not snack at all. I appreciate everyone's input! It really helps knowing that there is a community of people supporting me in my goals!
  • noellepion
    Options
    Hi Christy. I'd just like to mention nutrient density as I'm reading 'Eat to Live' right now and Dr. Fuhrman's theory makes sense to me. If your 1100 calories are nutrient dense you're probably ok, where as if they were the result of a small amount of non-nutrient dense food you should be careful. For example, 1100 calories in mostly veggies, fruits and whole grains/lean meats as a side is far superior to 1100 calories made up of one steak and a baked potato with all the fixings. The former would be supplying your body everything it needs to support itself in a healthy way, the latter would leave you malnourished.
  • starmoonrain
    Options
    how are you losing so much im trying so hard im always a lil under my calories im using the slimfast 3-2-1 plan and it says only 1200 calories but mfp says to eat a lil over 1400 im confused which to follow?!?!?! im also working out using my wii fit ive lost 10 lbs not eating right before startting diet a few days ago but since then im gaining and losing a lb back n forth and i cant lose more! HELP!
  • christy_frank
    Options
    Watching portion sizes, eating REAL food. My husband has lost 20 lbs and I lost 4 (under 2 weeks). Drinking A LOT of water. Just being aware of everything that I put into my mouth.
  • christy_frank
    Options
    We have been eating a lot of chicken, fresh veggies (or frozen....never canned).
  • a2canadian
    Options
    starmoonrain
    Water is very good advice. If you drink a glass of water right before eating, you are less likely to over-consume. Whats more, it isnt necessarily just about how much you eat but also what you eat and when. Try to go for lots of lean protein, raw vegies (better nutrient wise than cooked), and whole grains. Its amazing how much food has high salt and sugar content... cutting back on these is a great way to manage your weight. In addition to water and food choices, I have 3 big recommendations:

1) try to mix up the workouts - if you do the same type of exercise for the same ammount of time every day, your body will adjust and you will stop seeing results. If you are looking for something low-impact, try walking (ferociously) for an hour or swimming (even treading in the swimming pool is good) or head over to MyYoga.com and check out some pilates of vinshasa yoga. Even top level athletes notice that over a short period of time, your body adjusts to a certain level of excertion/ type of muscle movement.

2) never "stop eating". Your body will start feeding off muscle and converting it into fat for storage. This is bad bad news and definetly counter-productive.

3) not all weight loss is real weight loss. OK... bear with me here... I know that sounds a bit nutty. Last year I weighed the same ammount that I weigh this year, however, I did not need to change my diet. This is because I had low body fat and lots of muscle (curtosy of being a div1 athlete). After 5 months of relative inactivity (graduated and injury recovery), I have lost a lot of muscle and gained some unweildly fat.... but my weight remains unchanged. The good news is that if you noticed your weight drop and then stagnate, it may have been that you lost fat and then started gaining muscle (thereby gaining back a bit of weight). Keep up the good work and I hope these suggestions are useful!
  • missm83
    missm83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    the more you work out the more you have to eat....
    but dont eat late*** you can always eat more veggies, or fruit ... i loveeee beef jerky thats my weakness ..ITS a lot of sodium but its a great snack !!
    look dont stress on the calories you take it..its all about WHAT YOU EAT NOT HOW MUCH ...

FEW THINGS YOU CAN EAT...

Almost No Calories 25-30 Calories
    Celery sticks 1 small tangerine
    Lettuce 1/2 cup watermelon
    Cucumbers 1/4 cantaloupe
    Green peppers 1 small tomato
    Mushrooms 1 medium carrot
    Cauliflower 1 cup popcorn
    Broccoli 12 pretzel sticks

35-40 Calories 50-60 Calories
    1 medium peach 1 small apple
    1 medium nectarine 1 small orange