For those with long hair

Options
2»

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot...i have long hair and tons of it...make sure your clips aren't digging in your head...i wish i could show you my messy knot on top that I find works lol...make sure your elastic isn't tight right up against your scalp, it's ok if some whisps of hair fall out lol...they can be pinned...and wear your hair down at night. I shower at night so when it's wet i just comb it out and leave it down...you scratch and massage your head more, and it feels better.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Do any of you get an "aching" scalp from your long hair? The top of my head is so sore, and I think it's from pulling my hair back into a bun.

It hurts just to touch it!
    Hello!
    My hair is all the way to my butt (for lack of a better word) and it is very thick and healthy (see my picture). I used to get headaches all the time until my hairdresser suggested a couple of years ago that I cut my hair in three (or more) layers.
    With the layers you still have the same pretty hair but the layering takes a chunk of weight out of your scalp.
    Happy trimming. ;)

my hairdresser did the same thing...she chopped for what felt like forever...but kept the length and i had awesome "beach waves" because of all the layers
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My scalp gets sore after wearing my hair up for several hours, regardless of wether I have it short or long.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If I wear my hair up high, the weight of my hair gives me a headache and the ponytail makes my scalp hurt. I've been just wearing it in a lower pony/bun. I need to wear it down, I suppose, but it drives me bonkers.
  • redruthie
    Options
    Ya I get mega headaches when i wear mine up and the skin on my scalp feels bruised

ME TOO! I get killer headaches. I not only have long hair, but it's THICK. It went down to 3" above my bum. I had it cut to be right at my bra line. No more headaches... for now.
  • toxicbox
    Options
    Totally! Then when I tell the hubby that my hair hurts he looks at me like I'm crazy! ;) I think most of the time it is cause I have had my hair up in a bun too long. I agree with some of the ideas posted but for some people it has to be a bun. Like people in the military have to have the hair with in regulations so that means clips are out and ponytails only if they don't touch the collar... :( I got one of those head scratchers things from Hallmark for days when my hair hurts. :)
  • mehamilt
    mehamilt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My hair is down to my waist but is really fine--I wish it was thicker and that I had more of it. I found a hair barrette that's like a figure 8 with a metal bar that slips through the end that holds it n a "loose" bun or chignon on back of head cute one has dragonfly one has celtic knot one dolphin but never sore and I've even fallen asleep with it in. I found them at a Scottish Games in Orange County, CA.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My hair is to my butt and thick. I get headaches from it, especially in the summer. I always say "my hair hurts!" And people think Im being funny. It usually happends when I wear my hair in the same style for a while, be it in a ponytail, using those claw clips, or regular hair pins. It doesn't go away when I put it down, though it does help. It will only stop hurting after I've washed my hair.
  • Kezzanna
    Kezzanna Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, but solved it by putting my hair in a pony tail - when you get to the last time of putting the hair elastic around the pony tail - don't pull the pony tail all the way through - leave it caught half way through (if that makes sense). This loosens the actual pony tail (and the drag on your head), but it's tight enough to go to the gym with and not have it fall out.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    nope I don't have that problem. my hair is waist length although I have fine hair....but A LOT of it. I wear it in up every single day (usually just a high pony tail but a bun or what not when I work out) but it's not overly heavy so maybe I'm lucky?

I know some clips and stuff hurt my head but I don't think it's a hair issue just a poorly made accesory.
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    yep i get that if my pony tail is too tight and i get it from head bands as well. I also get it from wearing hat as well as a headache. :huh: :grumble:

When i get home from work i tend to let my hair down and on weekends its down most of the time and i have found that helps. And lots of layers haha My hair is really think as well.
  • justahorsen
    Options
    I feel violated and left out.

you are too funny.......I just cut all my length off (about 10") and have a short "do" now....at least till I get sick of it again and let it grow back out.....but I did get the scalp pain if I wore it in a different direction than "normal"
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have super short hair now but if i bobby pin the front yes sometime i will get a headache...

when i was younger i wore my hair in TIGHT pony tails all the time and never had a problem until i got older.

My advice CUT IT ALL OFF... do a short do... i love it...
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    A hair dresser comes to our house every 6 weeks and does wife and daughters' hair. The hairdresser is a very old friend and former Tae Kwon Do student of mine. About 15 years ago my wife told Kristen (hairdresser) that she wanted her hair cut shorter. Kristen asked her if I knew. Hilarious. Kristen had to have my approval though. Must have been the student/teacher thing. Anyway, I told her, it was Jan's hair. She didn't need my permission. Turned out she only had a couple inches cut off.

Wife had beautiful long hair. Cut it off a couple months ago. Think Reba McEntire. Cut and color. No one asked my oipinion this time.

All of her friends love it. That's important, because we know that women craft their appearance to impress their female friends anyway.

My wife will not ask me if I like it. She is either afraid of my opinion or my opinion isn't part of the equation.
  • Sonya381
    Options
    It can also be a sign of stress similar to tension headaches. It becomes sore due to lack of blood flow through tightening - massage to increase blood flow works. in some circumstances can lead to hair loss again due to lack of blood circulation.
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    @RoadDog: what a great husband you are... my mom cut her hair once and my dad gave her so much HELL for it. But she looked really nice but he was mad.

my Fiance is like you, just do what makes you feel good and the confidence will make you look good :)