Detox?

Options
Does anyone ever detox/cleanse? Not sure the safest way to do it, but positive that I need to give it a try (for reasons unprintable here) :) So what have you tried, what works, and what sucks? I appreciate any input!

Thanks!

Replies

• misssuperstitious
    Options
    I've tried a couple from GNC and was happy with the results....don't worry, they don't make you poop your pants or anything :)
  • brandygburke
    brandygburke Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    haha. Good. That's exactly what I'm worried about! That's why I refused to take Alli for weight loss help - no need to poop (or grease) my pants - but still thinking I need to have a "fresh start" haha. What an odd conversation :)
  • dkrioux
    dkrioux Posts: 144
    Options
    I am glad you posted this, because I have been wondering the same thing!
  • katchoo927
    Options
    I have several friends who have done that lemon juice/maple syrup/cayenne pepper Master Cleanse thing. From what I read, it's kind of a load of crap. You lose a lot of weight but just gain it all back and you don't get much in the way of nutrients. I am sure there's a different cleanse for all kinds of different people but I'll tell you the one I've had experience with. It's Dr. Morrison's Daily Detox. He was my doctor in NYC. The powder is expensive but I personally feel like it was worth it. It's not going to starve your body of nutrients in the process and that's important. I know there are lots of things available in stores now that on the surface look similar. If your unprintable reasons have anything to do with digestive distress, his stuff is very non-allergenic and that could help. Often, that kind of stuff is due to food allergies or intolerances you might not know you have. You could also try Ultra Clear because I think it's pretty similar.

That's just my two cents and experience. Hope it helps you make a decision.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    By ALL means stay away from Alli, THAT will make you grease your pants lol. Oh, and I try to do the cleanse thing every 3 months or so. I also try to take probiotics on a daily basis :)
  • angellynn261
    Options
    I tried the Renew Life 7 day rapid cleanse, and I loved it! It was very gentle. (No pooping my pants. LOL) I felt really great after it was done. I would highly recommended it, and it's not badly priced either.
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    I drink Yogi Detox tea 2-3 times a week, and its really good.....when I want to do a full detox I will drink it every night for a week. Its very gentle, makes you pee alot, but not the other thing lol And its all natural.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat - I want to do this, but not sure how to go about it. I tried one product and it was TERRIBLE! The supposed "detox" gave me blinding cramps... which led to me NEEDING a bathroom within the next 30 minutes, or else... disaster. It was so miserable! Turns out, it contained "SENNA" (I am capitalizing this, lol). This is a product known to cause these types of explosive-diarrhea results (I had NO idea!). So beware, and check every detox product you buy!!

After that adventure, I bought the book "detox diets for dummies" and I'm going from there. I am so scared now!! :angry:
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've done "Fat Flush" by Anne Louis Gittleman. It is a two week liver cleanse. Strict- but you still eat. It makes me feel pretty awesome every time I do it- (well after about 2 days). She has a seasonal cleanse book on cleansing now that I would like to read. Pretty good stuff to give you a 'fresh' start. She has a huge website of material available. Remember to go easy on yourself when you are cleansing - keep a good check on how you feel - Best Wishes for a Cleansing, Invigorating Experience. It is not for the faint-hearted!!
  • ashleylockerman
    ashleylockerman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Glad you asked about that :) I have been thinking I new to flush my system out. Def don't want any uncomfortable side effects.
  • Pattilynne
    Options
    I've tried a couple from GNC and was happy with the results....don't worry, they don't make you poop your pants or anything :)

I used to work for GNC, so just a little advice for you, the employees will change what they reccommend month by month, and that is not based on what really works, it is based on whatever the company is offering the biggest comission for the month. same goes with protene powders, diet suppliments and vitamins. The GNC brand of anything is just as good as anything else they sell, it just costs half the price. Just look out for someone saying that a product is their top seller, usually its not, its the highest paying item in that category.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I did a 3 day fruit cleanse last year as part of the Baptiste 40 Day Program of daily yoga, meditation and clean eating. It was very challenging for me (all the fruit you can eat and nothing else except water and decaf tea). I was freezing cold the whole time. I drank a lot of decaf tea. I had a terrible headache in the beginning - probably from missing my coffee. I did lose a few pounds doing it.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options

I used to work for GNC, so just a little advice for you, the employees will change what they reccommend month by month, and that is not based on what really works, it is based on whatever the company is offering the biggest comission for the month. same goes with protene powders, diet suppliments and vitamins. The GNC brand of anything is just as good as anything else they sell, it just costs half the price. Just look out for someone saying that a product is their top seller, usually its not, its the highest paying item in that category.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    Thanks for the GNC warning! I've mostly read up on what I want before I get there, and usually buy something in the mid-price range. What do you think was their best cleanse if you don't mind me asking?
  • Pattilynne
    Options
    Thanks for the GNC warning! I've mostly read up on what I want before I get there, and usually buy something in the mid-price range. What do you think was their best cleanse if you don't mind me asking?
    The best one that i saw when i worked there was the GNC triple cleanse. it was a 3 part cleanse that ended with acidopholis to put the healthy bacteria back into your body after you flushed everything out, and then also follow it up with a good multi vitamin.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    I hear the Detox Drop by Robert Ferguson is pretty great. I've had a few friends that have tried it and they had success with it. It's the first Dr. approved detox. I'm going to try it out!

http://www.detoxdrop.com/