Diet and Dessert?

Options
lizrha
lizrha Posts: 24 Member
How often can I eat sweets so that when I do eat them, I’m not sabotaging myself? I’ve got a major sweet tooth that is never really satisfied. I want to lose around 10-12 pounds, and in the past, I held off sweets entirely. But sometimes, that led to unhealthy, binge-like moments. So, in a nutshell, where's the fine balance between satisfaction and corruption? And can you suggest any healthy, actual sweet candies?
Thoughts??

Replies

• mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You could always get those 100 calorie snack packets. I bought a box of chocolate covered pretzel ones and oreo thin crisps. This way, you are allowing yourself that sweet treat, but are limiting it to 100 calories because it is already pre-packaged and easy.
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options
    My new favorite breakfast bar can be classified as a dessert: Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants Chewy Bar - Caramel Coconut Fudge. OMG I so love these!!! And it ups my fiber intake!
  • aeragusa
    aeragusa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow makes some really good 100 calorie desserts, if you like ice cream. Also, you might want to check out the recipe forums - you'll probably find a multitude of wonderfully sweet desserts :) Or course, with any diet, moderation is key. But don't deprive yourself! You'll never stick to a diet where you're left feeling unsatisfied all the time.
  • junekucks
    Options
    My temptations are carbs of all kinds. When tempted , I try to look up how many calories etc in what I want. That sometimes delays the actually eating and almost 50% of the time I will choose a healthier snack.
    I keep saying" I will not drink my calories and being a healthy slender tastes better than anything i can put in my mouth."
    If you can talk your self into eating something , you can talk yourself past the cravings. Keep going, we are all doing this together.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I FEEL YA SISTA! I am a sweet freak too! So every day (usually at the end of the day) I have one weight watchers giant latte ice cream bar. They are very low in calories and very satisfying. I won't lie to you, I could sit and eat 5 weight watchers ice cream bars in a row, but I won't do it. I want to be thin more that I want to eat 5!!! I also chew a lot of sugar free gum and that helps. So don't deprive youself....but FORCE yourself to only have one very small portion every day, and look forward to it! When you eat it, keep your mind in the present and really enjoy it! (don't watch TV and eat it at the same time) Oh and by the way, this is included in my calorie count limits.....if I am over my calories I have to pass up on the treat, so I ALWAYS make sure it's within the limits. AND...work out hard every day!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    For "those days" when I just have to have something...I keep a bag of chocolate chips in the freezer. I allow myself 10 frozen chips, I savor them one by one, and by the time I have let all of them melt away on my tongue the craving is gone. I also have some of the Skinny Cow products, and some of the Emerald Cocoa Almonds that I use for treats when I have excess calories.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I make desserts out of healthy items so I eat them every day!!

A favorite...banana drizzed with a little bit agave nectar and some shredded coconut, then baked in the oven for 10 minutes. YUM.

Baked apples are delicious...sauteed pears...strawberries with balsamic glaze...fruit salad with greek yogurt...greek yogurt with canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice...

Once you start expanding your horizons on what "dessert" means (i.e., not a huge brownie with ice cream) then you can eat it all of the time!
  • WritingMyLife
    WritingMyLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Breakfast was a Fiberone Caramel granola bar - too sweet for me! The Chocolate one is quite sweet too. Dessert tonight will be a Betty Crocker Warm Delights caramel and chocolate mini cake at 130 cals. As long as you are eating enough healthy food - depending on what plan you follow, low carb, food pyramid, vegetarian, etc. - I think it's okay to have some sweet too, though of course, healthwise, you don't need it. I'm getting plenty of protein, calcium, carbs, vegetables, fruits, etc.