Post workout supplement / nutrition?

droppin_lbs
droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello Friends!

I hit the gym pretty hard with 2-3 days a week of strength training and 2-3 of cardio and take 1-2 days off a week.
In the beginning I saw large gains in tone and muscle gain, but lately I feel that this has slowed down. Also, my body often feels weak and depleted. I am eating all my exercise calories. I am beginning to consider some type of post workout supplement - perhaps l glutamine. I understand that this will help increase muscle strenght and fatique. Besides vitamins I have never take a supplement and know nothing about them.

Also, note that I have lost only 4 pounds since Nov and almost no inches either. I work like a dog at the gym 5-6 days a week AND I work with a personal trainer and I eat all my exercise calories.

What do you think I should do for post workout muscle recovery/boost and do you think this will help with fat/weight loss?

Thank you - any advise and opinions are welcome!!

Replies

• Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Hello Friends!

I hit the gym pretty hard with 2-3 days a week of strength training and 2-3 of cardio and take 1-2 days off a week.
    In the beginning I saw large gains in tone and muscle gain, but lately I feel that this has slowed down. Also, my body often feels weak and depleted. I am eating all my exercise calories. I am beginning to consider some type of post workout supplement - perhaps l glutamine. I understand that this will help increase muscle strenght and fatique. Besides vitamins I have never take a supplement and know nothing about them.

Also, note that I have lost only 4 pounds since Nov and almost no inches either. I work like a dog at the gym 5-6 days a week AND I work with a personal trainer and I eat all my exercise calories.

What do you think I should do for post workout muscle recovery/boost and do you think this will help with fat/weight loss?

Thank you - any advise and opinions are welcome!!

Glutamine does nothing. Drink a glass of chocolate milk instead, lol. Whether or not your fat/weight loss will continue depends on whether or not you are still in a caloric deficit.
  • Chocolate milk is great advice! The athletics nutritionalist at my alma mater used to insist on chocolate milk after every race. Have you considered changing your exercise routine? If you perform the same type of exercise on a regular schedule your body will eventually adapt and you will cease to see improvement... try to change it up a bit and see if this gives you any result. It might help if you set yourself a goal: i.e. run X distance or do X squats at whatever weight.
  • Dextrose and Whey Protein. Works like a charm. Dextrose is cheap. Research it. I love the combo. You will too.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    A recovery drink right after exercise speeds the recovery. A meal about an hour later is another must!
    Chocolate milk with a banana is almost as good but I find the recovery drinks more convinient.
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Hi,

My short story here. After my flu and Christmas / New Year time I came back to gym. Since 5th Jan,
    as meals and after workouts I take whey protein. It works, I found my muscles a bigger and stronger.
    Maybe you don't leave enough recovery time ? Maybe overtrained ?
This discussion has been closed.