Snowshoeing

jss147
jss147 Posts: 2 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I am trying to maintain an active lifestyle even though it's winter so yesterday I tried snowshoeing. It's very easy to strap on the contraptions and I decided to use my walking poles instead of buying ski poles. So far, so good. Next was to determine where I would "shoe" and that decision was fairly easy, too. We have a preserve nearby with trails so off I went. They say to just walk like you would normally but what is normal about walking with tennis rackets on your boots? I persevered and soon was pretty nimble and making my way through a beautiful winter landscape. I had read how to get up in case you fall but managed to stay upright through the walk. Admittedly, I was caught up in how beautiful it was and ended up "shoeing" for about 40 minutes. Today, I realize that showshoeing uses very different muscles. I feel elated for having found a new winter activity but I'm walking a little like a cowboy after a rodeo. Still, I say to all, "try it, it's very fun!" P.S. That 40 minutes burned 329 calories!

Replies

• noraht
    noraht Posts: 21
    Good for you! That is something I want to try as soon as we get enough snow!! I love cross country sking so am hoping that snowshoeing will be as much fun!
This discussion has been closed.