Second week curse?

Options
It's Day 16 and I gained 2 pounds. I eat right, stay under my calorie goal and I try to work out 5 days a week. I remember watching the Biggest Loser and it's always the second week when the contestants don't lose very much. I know the 9lbs that I did lose was probably water weight but what do I need to do for the weight to keep coming off? I'm trying to keep my head up but it's a little disappointing.

Replies

• 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Uh-oh I just started my second week! I just started exercising day before yesterday, so at least I´ll tell myself it´s muscle I´m building if I don´t lose weight! haha
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yikes! My weigh day is tomorrow for week two. My clothes are fitting better so I'm resolved to be content with whatever it says.
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    Oh no, my second week starts tomorrow! :sad:
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    im also on week 2 of starting over again, iv lost 1 lb already i weighed before my proper day so going to weigh again on tuesday to see if its budged,
    if you have had a lot of sodium the day before weighing as well it can also alter your weight because it causes you to bloat so i may be that or if its around the time of TOM that can temporarily cause it to look like you havent lost.
    i would check in a few days again just to be sure
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hmm Ive never heard of this second week thing..I know that you do lose less that your first initial week but there usually is still a loss of pounds..just be sure your watching your sodium and sticking to your calories and excercise. good luck
  • jaycee17
    Options
    Hmmm, starting my second week too !
  • aeragusa
    aeragusa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

This might not be your exact situation, but it definitely explains a lot about how this might happen (and it's a good read!)

Good luck with the diet! Stick with it and I'm sure you'll see results :)
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my second week as well and it's TOM :-( I only noticed a 1 pound loss this week compared to almost 5 last week so from the second week on it will be challenging for us. I find consolation in the fact that while I may not be very many pounds on the scale, I'm losing a good amount of inches! It's easy to get discouraged when the numbers aren't going down but I've promised myself to stick with it and I WILL see results!
  • Dormouse85
    Options
    Why not just face it, and say "Rats. This week I've not lost much/anything/gained a little but I won't give up and next week I'll see an improvement." Don't give up...two weeks isn't long and you made a great start. 5lb weight loss in two weeks is fab-u-lous! What will nextr week bring?! :smile:
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    I'm sure you're doing everything right. If you're exercising more it may just be muscle building. Like others have said, keep going on as you are, and I'm sure you'll see a loss again soon.

Also try keeping track of inches lost, as some weeks you may lose inches and not weight, the scale shouldn't always be relied on.

I started up exercise again this week and have been eating better, I was doing the opposite in both respects over Xmas and lost weight, but this week I have gained! I'm thinking muscle, not being disheartened :wink:

I know it's hard not to get disheartened when you first start out, I nearly threw the towel in as I either wasn't losing or hardly losing! But people pushed me to keep going, and I did, and I'm glad, as I've come so far.

You CAN do this :flowerforyou:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

This might not be your exact situation, but it definitely explains a lot about how this might happen (and it's a good read!)

Good luck with the diet! Stick with it and I'm sure you'll see results :)

Thank you for sharing the link. It does explain a lot. I don't eat out as much as I used to and if we do, I make sure what's all in it. I have slowed down on my fresh veggies since my first week. Looks like I'll have to pick those back up.
  • MelissaL582
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the support. I'm definitely not giving up like I have with other methods I've tried. This is working for me just not in week 2. Lol! Looks like I should start measuring myself.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are working out and staying under your calories, you could be going into starvation mode where your body starts to hold on to calories and fat.

Eat ALL your allowed calories daily. You are already at a deficit from before so you will lose weight and your body's metabolism won't get messed up.

Good luck!
  • DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    Some might struggle in week 2, some 3, some 10 or whatever there's always going to be a point where it kind of gets stuck, but what you need to remember is this is a long term committment that will get you long term results. Look at the big picture, keep your head up and you will always be motivated!
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    Don't panic, this can be quite normal, 9lbs is a lot to lose in one week and our body weight fluctuates a lot from day to day. Give your body time to adjust. My first ever week on weight watchers I lost 9lbs first week, gained 2 second week, and lost 4 the 3rd week, it all evens out eventually. There are lots of reasons why are body will retain fluid also, if we eat a meal rich in sodium, T.O.M for us ladies, etc. So please don't worry, you are doing so great, you should be very proud of yourself. Keep up the amazing work. Good luck with the rest of your journey x
  • mariamxo
    Options
    Keep your head up high! I know that seeing a gain can be really really disaapointng but just continue pushing and working hard and beat the week 2 and youll be back to losing before you know it. Also if you were weighing in everyday, you might want to just try for once a week because weight fluctuates so much.
  • JeanMargaret
    Options
    Everybody's different. Just because the numbers don't happen to show up [the way you want] on the scale, doesn't mean that you're not moving in the right direction. You're basically telling your body that for the last X amount of years, things weren't good enough. You're changing everything it's used to and like a brat, your body doesn't like that. It's gonna fight you, but you're already victorious b/c you've made up your mind to change your life; to be fit. Regardless of the numbers, remain consistent. Keep eating the right way and keep exercising, keep focused on your goal. Eventually, the numbers will fall in line.
  • MelissaL582
    Options
    Also, if you are working out and staying under your calories, you could be going into starvation mode where your body starts to hold on to calories and fat.

Eat ALL your allowed calories daily. You are already at a deficit from before so you will lose weight and your body's metabolism won't get messed up.

Good luck!

I do stay pretty close to my calorie goal which is 1630 and eat more if I work out. I was debating if I should lower my calorie goal?
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You are doing great and your body is just fluctuating. I hate the scale and I tend to plateau and go up and down. Try the measuring thing. It sounds like you might be losing inches and that is awesome also. Just keep going and don't get frustrated. Also remember to get enough sleep at night. We all tend to forget that is when we actually give our bodys time to adjust. Remeber the awesome work you have done so far!
  • MelissaL582
    Options
    You are doing great and your body is just fluctuating. I hate the scale and I tend to plateau and go up and down. Try the measuring thing. It sounds like you might be losing inches and that is awesome also. Just keep going and don't get frustrated. Also remember to get enough sleep at night. We all tend to forget that is when we actually give our bodys time to adjust. Remeber the awesome work you have done so far!

That's what I have a problem with too- getting a full nights rest. You and all moms know that when we have our quiet time, we tend to like it way too much. Lol! So when my boys are in bed for the night..I sometimes won't go to bed til midnight. I need to go head to bed by 10 at the latest.