Your significant other not dieting? Try this roast chicken

Options
Christie23
Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
I made this up because my boyfriend is painfully skinny and didn't really want chicken soup. It works out perfectly because I was able to make my soup even more delicious and make him happy at the same time.

For the chicken:

8 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
1/2 C olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 Tbsp grainy mustard
2 Tbsp honey

Place the chicken thighs in a bowl (extra handy if it has a lid), pour the olive oil over them and then juice the lemons directly above them. Toss well. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Cover and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour or up to a day. When ready, preheat the oven to 400. Oil a roasting pan and arrange the thighs on it, skin side down. Roast for 25-30 mins. Using tongs, flip the thighs and roast another 10-15 mins. In a small bowl, combine the mustard and the honey (you can add salt and pepper for flavor if you like, but I didn't want the extra sodium) brush over the chicken and broil for 5-10 minutes, watching closely.

I served one of these to my boyfriend with some mashed potatoes and salad. Meanwhile, I had my soup base going for a few hours prior.

Soup base:

2 boxes chicken stock
1 small box or can chicken broth
half a bottle of dry white wine
1 medium head of garlic, peeled (whole cloves)
2 large sweet onions, chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika (or sweet paprika)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
2 stalks celery, leaves removed, chopped

Place a very small amount of oil in a large stockpot (maybe half a tablespoon) and set on med heat. Add the onions and garlic cloves. Allow the onions to sweat just a bit. Sprinkle the paprika, oregano and some salt and pepper over them. Add the wine and allow to boil so the alcohol cooks off. Then add the chicken stock and broth. Finally, add the celery. Bring everything to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. I let mine simmer for a couple of hours before I even started on his chicken. I wanted those flavors to really meld together. Add water as necessary to make sure all the goodies you put in your soup stay covered.

Once his chicken went into the oven, I started chopping away! The beautiful thing about this is that you can add any veggies that you have or want. It's totally customizeable. But this is what I did...

5 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large, or two small, sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 large zucchini, sliced
couple handfuls of baby spinach, roughly chopped

I added in all the veggies when I put his chicken in to roast, except for the zucchini (waited to add that with the chicken because I didn't want them to be totally mushy). When the chicken has cooled, remove the skin. Pull large pieces of meat off the bone and add to your soup. Once all your meat is in, allow 15 minutes or so for everything to blend together and serve with some fresh chopped parsley. Voila!

The soup is about 210 cals per 1 cup serving and is PACKED with veggies and vitamins. I added it into the database under "Christie's Roast Chicken White WIne" soup, so it's already there for you! Of course you could do it with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but the meat will be a completely different texture, although less fat in your soup, for sure.

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy thanks for sharing!
  • Stina_Marie13
    Stina_Marie13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i think im going to try this. sounds yummy, and my kids will enjoy it too!!

THANK YOU!