Tofu Rocks!

If you have never tried tofu... well get off your fat a** and try it it's wonderful. Chicken is quiet versatile, however, tofu is even more versatile than chicken. Trust me.

Tofu is rich in Nutrients - Tofu is rich in both high quality protein and B-vitamins. Tofu is, therefore, an excellent substitute for meat in many vegetarian recipes. As opposed to soya milk, tofu contains a lot of calcium. This calcium originates from the coagulant (nigari). When making tofu, the soy proteins are precipitated with calcium, providing tofu with a ready source of calcium. Calcium in tofu contributes to the prevention of osteoporosis.

Easy to digest - An additional benefit of tofu is that it is extremely easy to digest. This is because the soybean’s fiber is removed during the manufacturing process.

Reduce cholesterol - As most other soyfoods, tofu reduces heart disease by lowering the level of the "bad" LDL cholesterol, and as the result maintaining the level of "good" HDL cholesterol.

Rich in isoflavones - Tofu is rich in isoflavones. When making tofu, the soy isoflavones, genistein and daidzein, remain bound to the soy protein. Firm tofu contains about 35 mg isoflavones per 100g. Isoflavones will reduce the risk of osteoporosis, a disease associated with reduced bone density and increased bone fractures. Isoflavones will also lower rates of breast cancer and prostate cancer, and reduce menopausal symptoms including mood swings and hot flushes.

Tofu comes in soft, firm, extra firm, cubed, flavored, herbs, etc... You can grill it, baked it, saute it, make shakes, and much more..... just google it and you will see.

:laugh:

Replies

• jasha80
    jasha80 Posts: 8
    If you have never tried tofu... well get off your fat a** and try it it's wonderful. Chicken is quiet versatile, however, tofu is even more versatile than chicken. Trust me.

Tofu is rich in Nutrients - Tofu is rich in both high quality protein and B-vitamins. Tofu is, therefore, an excellent substitute for meat in many vegetarian recipes. As opposed to soya milk, tofu contains a lot of calcium. This calcium originates from the coagulant (nigari). When making tofu, the soy proteins are precipitated with calcium, providing tofu with a ready source of calcium. Calcium in tofu contributes to the prevention of osteoporosis.

Easy to digest - An additional benefit of tofu is that it is extremely easy to digest. This is because the soybean’s fiber is removed during the manufacturing process.

Reduce cholesterol - As most other soyfoods, tofu reduces heart disease by lowering the level of the "bad" LDL cholesterol, and as the result maintaining the level of "good" HDL cholesterol.

Rich in isoflavones - Tofu is rich in isoflavones. When making tofu, the soy isoflavones, genistein and daidzein, remain bound to the soy protein. Firm tofu contains about 35 mg isoflavones per 100g. Isoflavones will reduce the risk of osteoporosis, a disease associated with reduced bone density and increased bone fractures. Isoflavones will also lower rates of breast cancer and prostate cancer, and reduce menopausal symptoms including mood swings and hot flushes.

Tofu comes in soft, firm, extra firm, cubed, flavored, herbs, etc... You can grill it, baked it, saute it, make shakes, and much more..... just google it and you will see.

:laugh:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    do you use it in addition or as a substitute? I heard you can use it to take on any flavor you want but, just can't get myself to try it. I bought a box of it and it sat on my counter forever - I just don't know what to do with it.
  • nika022
    nika022 Posts: 1
    Oh yes, tofu can be absolutely delicious, even if you just slice the firm tofu thinly and make them int chips with low fat sour cream and salsa, or add them to pasta and rice dishes. Plus they add more substinance to salads and lighter foods to help make them more of a meal and keep you satisfied for longer. In korma curries they are absolutely heavenly! Plus are so much better for the environment and world then eating helplessly mass-produced and slaughtered animals
  • TashaKnight
    TashaKnight Posts: 50 Member
    YAYYYY I love love love Tofu TOO! <3
    It makes up for my protein deficiencies
    and it tastes good with minced chicken and red peppers.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    no thanks. allergic. highly allergic.

more people are allergic to tofu than chicken...wonder why.

plus kosher or halal chicken is sooo muuuchh tastierrrrrrrrrrrr.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    ps soy is not easy to digest!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    I use a lot of tofu in my cooking because it is a LOT cheaper than meat - a pack of lean ground beef is about 3-4+ dollars around here for a pound. A 3 pound pack of tofu is about 1.50 at the asian market. Plus in my experience, tofu keeps much nicer in the freezer so I can stock up.

In fact I just made some awesome tofu parm. All in all, I use tofu because its cheap and pretty good for you. But I love me some good old fashioned meat too.

PLUS if you're not vegan, you can do some amazing things with soft tofu and sweet
    creams/sauces/glazes.

Just remember, moderation. A lot more people are allergice to soy products than they are to meats, plus its been shown that an excess amount of soy in the diet can lead to adverse effects, especially in developing bodies. For this reason a lot of countries are considering putting restrictions on soy based formulas except for very severe cases where there are no other choices. Also, tofu lacks vitamin b12 as its only found in animal based material (meat, milk, eggs). Its good for you, its just not the panacaea that a lot of people think it is. Its been eaten safely in Asian cultures for thousands of years, but they also didn't make it the only thing they consume like many vegans and vegetarians do.

But all things aside, its a great addition to any diet, and you can do a TON of stuff with it.
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    One of the tastiest, nutrious. and inexpensive low cal soups is made even better with a few squares of firm tofu. If you have never had japanese miso soup... do give it a try. It has a wonderful flavor and once you try it in a restaurant if you like, you can make it easily at home.

Many Japanese people eat it every day...it satifsfies and is sooooo good...especially with a few large chunks of firm tofu added to the soup when it is served. :wink:

~Namaste