Heart Rate Monitor... SUGGESTIONS??

LoveMy3Boys
LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I did a quick search for this because I am SURE its been asked but I didn't find what I was looking for.

I want to get an HRM.

I have been told to get BodyBugg... but OMG!! The arm thingy is like $300 and then the watch is $120 and then there is a subscription to their service that is like $10 a month after the initial 6 months you get with purchase. The watch says you cannot use it without the darn armband... so with the application that can be downloaded on my phone I don't need the watchy thing... just the ridiculously over priced armband but I would rather go with the watch because the price is reasonable but of course its the arm band that is the needed item... so back to square one.

HOLY MOLY! I mean... wow. I am sure its totally awesome but... uh, no I am not ready to commit, between hubs and I nearly $1,000 to this yet.

So... is there a HRM that tracks when you burn calories all day like that but doesn't cost an arm and a leg than anyone can suggest?

Replies

• Steph1015
    Steph1015 Posts: 119 Member
    I have a Polar. around 100.00 comes with watch and chest strap.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Awesome I will google it :)
    I have a Polar. around 100.00 comes with watch and chest strap.
  • I have a Polar FT7 with watch and chest strap about $100. And I have to tell you I love it.
  • I have a polar FT4 which tracks my calories burned. Was right around $100. There are more expensive ones with more bells and whistles but mine works fine for what I need. I've had other brands but Polar is by far one of the best and most accurate in my opinion.
  • Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    I have a polar ft40, love it too

My understanding is that the Bodybugg isn't a HRM - it measures your calories burned through other mechanisms... you are supposed to wear it all day - whereas HRMs, like the polars, are meant to be worn only during your workouts...

Hope that helps!
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    I also have a Polar and I love it! I paid 75 on amazon, and it was brand new. mine is black and gold
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    I just purchased the Polar FT4 for $89.95 from Di*k's Sporting Goods. It works great and does exactly what I need it to do. It has an chest strap that fits comfortable. The watch isn't bulky either.
  • I love my Mio Motivia Petite, it's usually $100, but I found it on eBay for $40....I love that it doesn't have a chest strap!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Seems I'm the odd one out as I have an Oregon Scientific SE300 that I got from Amazon for $75. I agree with what some others have said in that a body bugg is all day whereas a HRM is for exercising only. I would highly recommend just a HRM as MFP, based on the activity level you selected when you created your profile, already takes into account your daily calorie burn and the amount of calories you need to make the goal you set. Using a HRM helps you better gauge your calorie burn from exercise so you don't over guesstimate and eat too many calories back. And yes, a chest strap is highly recommended as they are more accurate (they take constant readings of your HR).
This discussion has been closed.