so far to go

Options
How do you start and stay motivated when all I can see is losing over 100 pounds? 8 years ago I was a size 28. now I am a size 18. But haven't dieted in 2 years or more because of going thru a divorce. Lowest weight I was down to was a size 16 and 235 pounds. But that was three years ago. I am going to lose the weight for me now ( especially since I haven't dated anyone but my ex and was with him for the past 30 years) That means I have never been out with anyone since I was 17, other than my ex. Boy is this scary. The amount of weight that I have to lose is so large that a part of me doesn't even want to begin. HELP

Replies

• justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the whole picture. Make mini goals for along the way and just focus on one mini goal at a time. Don't forget to reward yourself with mini incentives when you reach each goal too!
  • cmgriffis
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel. My goal is to be at 160 (from 250). I've always been so frustrated in myself because I couldn't lose weight even though I'm so crazy active! Well, now that I have a food diary that tracks all my caloric intake and exercise calories, it helps! Just keep going and stay strong! Log in everyday and it will help! It's helped me a TON so far(:
  • amy_p
    amy_p Posts: 82
    Options
    cliche time!

(oops.. that posted before I put in the cliches!)

lol

I truly take one day at a time. There is nothing I can do about the past, but I can control the future. AND-- a journey starts with a single step.

I know those sound cliche, but I truly live by them. I don't focus on what I need to lose, I focus on what I can do today to bring me to my ultimate goal :-)
  • Arlene78
    Arlene78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Remember all you have is today and just focus on today and what you can to help you eat healthy and exercise. Then when tomorrow comes do the same thing and before you know it you will have lost what you wanted. :wink:
  • frenchie0102
    Options
    Hi, I'm Frenchie and I get what you're saying. This is an awesome site to get you started. I started 2weeks ago and I've lost 11lbs.

Getting motivated started in my head, I had to decide that I was worthy and deserved to be healthy and fit. Once you realize how important you are to you the rest kinda falls into place.

I'm here for you if you want to be friends...I also have a support group through fb and we encourage each other.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose weight after getting divorced, it suddenly occurred to me that I'd already lost 200 pounds in the form of the ex-husband. That made the other 90 pounds of ME that needed to go bye-bye seem a bit easier, LOL
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. It's just like any goal--one day at a time--or even one meal at a time, one workout at a time, one victory at a time. You're in this for life, remember?
  • MissKaylaDawn
    Options
    I completely understand that one! My starting goal was 160 lbs! I got very overwhelmed. But I shot for the mini goals. I'm started with losing 20, and so on and so forth. Just keep on pushing through and make as many friends as you can, because ultimately those are gonna be the people you run to when you need advice or the people that will be there for you when you need to vent. You'll do fine, I have faith in that! Welcome to MFP!
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    Losing weight can always seem intimidating! When you just look at how much weight you have to lose, it's so easy to get discouraged because you know that it's going to take a while. Whenever I get impatient with my weight loss, I realize that I could spend a year exercising more and eating a little less and end up at a healthier weight or I could give up and spend the same year doing what I've been doing that's caused me to gain this weight and be even bigger. No matter what I chose, time still passes exactly the same...the only difference is whether or not I chose to get results.

Like someone else said, set mini goals for yourself. Focus on 5 or 10 lbs at a time so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. When you are first starting out, make your weight loss ticker with a smaller goal and focus on that at first.

Also, add friends on here because it always helps to have some encouragement! Good luck, you can do this!
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I completely understand ... Currently 28y/o, wearing a 28 and weighing 402 pounds ... I just started my diet today through Slim fast and hoping to lose 102 pounds in the next year .... Looking for friends and support along the way.