Protein shake?

Options
I think I should add a protein shake to myy diet because I don't get enough protein during my day. What is a good way to get the adequate amount of protein each day? Shakes, different foods anything. And if you use a shake, what do you use? I need something that tastes great otherwise I will probably not use it.

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I use the Atkins shakes or bars. I watch my sugar levels because there is an ungodly amount of sugar in most protein supplements. The Atkins products taste good, are relatively low in calories, low in sugar and have a high amount of protein. I'll usually work out for a while then I'll eat an Atkins product as a workout recovery.
  • rfalce
    rfalce Posts: 11
    Options
    The amount of protein that you need is different for everyone. I got a decent chocolate protein powder from Sams Club. My friend has a vanilla that she blends with berries and milk. My husband likes vanilla muscle milk. It is a great way to add protein!! Good luck!!
  • thorntona
    Options
    I've started using Fortisips but they are quite high in kcals but lots of flavours. Good luck. :o)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I have read that if you are using a protein powder it should be whey protein. I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Chocolate flavor. There are other flavors as well. I get it at Walmart for like $15 for a container that is about 27 scoops. Each scoop has 26 g of protein, 1 g of sugar and 140 calories. I make a glass every morning after my run.

1 scoop
    4 oz. water
    4 oz.2% milk
    1/2 tbsp. milled flax seed

I no longer crave chocolate and the nutty flavor of the flax seed makes it taste a little like a Reese's.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack usually consists of a protein smoothie, I too have a hard time getting enough in!

This is how I make mine, and I think they are yummy:
    1 cup milk
    1 cup frozen fruit blend (straight fruit, no added sugars)
    1 scoop EAS whey protein powder, vanilla flavored

I might start eating these in the morning, super filling and carb/protein ratio is equal :)
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have read that if you are using a protein powder it should be whey protein. I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Chocolate flavor. There are other flavors as well. I get it at Walmart for like $15 for a container that is about 27 scoops. Each scoop has 26 g of protein, 1 g of sugar and 140 calories. I make a glass every morning after my run.

1 scoop
    4 oz. water
    4 oz.2% milk
    1/2 tbsp. milled flax seed

I no longer crave chocolate and the nutty flavor of the flax seed makes it taste a little like a Reese's.

Mmm!!! That sounds delicious!!! I will try that. Is it filling?
  • bullriderswife08
    Options
    My afternoon snack usually consists of a protein smoothie, I too have a hard time getting enough in!

This is how I make mine, and I think they are yummy:
    1 cup milk
    1 cup frozen fruit blend (straight fruit, no added sugars)
    1 scoop EAS whey protein powder, vanilla flavored

I might start eating these in the morning, super filling and carb/protein ratio is equal :)

This one also sounds delicious!
  • bullriderswife08
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas!!! Can't wait to try them out!
  • runningneo122
    Options

Yes. Other times like at the end of the day when I'm way under and not hungry, I'll drink one to get my numbers up. The protein is good for overnight metabo(so I've read) and the milk helps me sleep.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Yes. Other times like at the end of the day when I'm way under and not hungry, I'll drink one to get my numbers up. The protein is good for overnight metabo(so I've read) and the milk helps me sleep.

I've. Heard cassien protein is best before bed. It's supposed to digest slower, so it takes longer to absorb into your system. Whereas whey absorbs quickly, therefore is better pre & post workout.
  • krisney
    krisney Posts: 56
    Options
    For a fast protein shake that I don't have to blend, I use the chocolate Premier Nutrition Shake (http://www.premiernutrition.com/products/protein_shake.html)

You can buy them at Costco, so it's really convenient. I like to drink them really cold, so I keep them in the coldest part of my fridge at all times. They tast great (to me) too!

160 calories
    30 grams protein
    1 gram of sugar
  • AlliDoisWin81
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Shakes tastes good usually. Mix it with flaxseed oil or peanut butter or eat a handful of almonds.

You can mix if with fruit, but I don;t know if you want extra carbs in your diet.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I'm not watching carbs, just trying to get more protein in and be more balanced :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about protein powder is if you need to you can double it up. I can make a shake with 2 scoops of protein powder, cup of skim milk, a frozen banana, and some peanut butter, and you have over 60 grams of protein for 1 meal.

I like to make various shakes, I'll mix it with sugar free/ fat free pudding for a snack, Add it to various recipes to increase the protein amounts. If you use less milk, it can make a healthy icecream type treat. It usually fills my need and craving for sweets.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    I've. Heard cassien protein is best before bed. It's supposed to digest slower, so it takes longer to absorb into your system. Whereas whey absorbs quickly, therefore is better pre & post workout.

It usually fills my need and craving for sweets.

Thanks for the info on the cassien ... wasn't sure on that. I don't drink it at night often. I agree w/ your statement abt the sweets. I can't remember the last time I ate regular choc or sweets.