Headache and Push Ups?

denise309
denise309 Posts: 39
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
OK so I am on Day 5 of 30 day shred...I started it last night and after the first set of push ups I had a HORRIDBLE heache, I did the squats/arm raises and still had it, did 2nd set of push ups, it was so bad I had to stop...I thought it was b/c I hadnt eaten for a few hours before I started the work out.. Today I had an apple, draink plenty of water and BAM after first set of push ups HORRIBLE headache again...I dont want to stop but not sure what this is?

Anyone experience this?

Replies

• lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    As far as day 5...is this just day 5 of your 30 day shred or day 5 of your diet too? Wondering if the headache is from food you've been cutting out of your diet for the past few days? C affine etc. When I first began to cut out coffee, holy headache for 4 days straight. Wondering if the diet is partially to blame.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    I would seriously look at how you are holding your head during your pushups. Many people thrust their head forward and this puts nasty stress on your neck muscles which can trigger terrible headaches. If you neck feels stiff at all tomorrow this might be what it is.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Is TOM near? I had a massive headache bordering migraine yesterday and it's because TOM is a week away xD If that's not it, you could be somewhat congested in your sinus and the pressure caused when your head is low like that can cause headaches (I've experienced that too). Or maybe you're holding your breath? I tend to do that a lot and it makes my face get all red and I get lightheaded standing up xD Diet and form could be a possibility too....
  • Cudders
    Cudders Posts: 28
    Could be couple things that are causing it, either holding your breath or scrunching your shoulders up and holding tension in your neck. Take a good breath in on lowering, exhale when pushing up and try to keep shoulders down and neck in neutral alignment. I hope that helps!
  • orojen
    orojen Posts: 4
    I'm going to tell you exactly what my fitness trainer tells me: DO NOT FORGET TO BREATH! It makes a huge difference, you will not have a headache if you don't hold your breath when you are doing them.
  • Thanks Everyone

Today i days 12 of chane in diet
    Havent cut out caffeine
    I concentrae on breathing and had no problems with days 1-4
    TOM is over

I tried to change my form an it seeme to help then I got to juming jacks and it came right back, did jump rope tried jumping jacks and the pain was so bad I had t stop, sitting here in tears, mostly from disapointment a little from pain :(

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bummed
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Since the headache is recurring and seems to only be triggered by exercise, I would suggest seeing a doctor or getting a referral to see a Physical Therapist. It could be either form (which the PT will discover) or something neurological. Either way, it's worth getting checked out.
This discussion has been closed.