Favorite strength training exercises

Options
I have finally excepted the fact that if I am ever going to reach my goals I need to work strength training in to my cardio program. What are everyone's favorite strength training exercises that don't require equipment other than hand weights?

Replies

• outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, bench. Those are all compound movements that can be done with hand weights. I think every weight program should incorporate compound movements. Bench might be a little tougher but it's doable.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, bench. Those are all compound movements that can be done with hand weights. I think every weight program should incorporate compound movements. Bench might be a little tougher but it's doable.

Pretty much agreed except I prefer machines so for me: leg press, pull up, bench press.

Edit: sorry, didn't read the OP properly. Squat, DL, Chest Fly in that case.
  • ChrissyM
    Options
    I like lunges, sqauts, bicep curls, french press, dumb press, chest flyes.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree that squats are great. Walking lunges are killer.

By far, my favourite site for finding dumbell exercises is exrx.net because they have moving pictures of how to do them :)
    Here's the chest press, for example.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBBenchPress.html
  • PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can do step ups at home (while watching t.v.) simply by using a step stool or a chair. It's a great cardio workout, add some hand weights and now you're killing two birds with one stone :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hGXD-njPL8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsFnJW6wn3U
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    hammer curls :)
  • ammark
    ammark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you go to "Wal-mart" and invest $15 in a set of resistance bands (a box of 3 colors). Go home and watch the DVD that comes with it, then just start doing it every other day. The results are almost guaranteed.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Speaking of resistance, it is easy to forget that is all a weight is when it come to strength training: something that provides resistance to the movement of your muscles.

Your own body weight can be a very effective tool in getting into strength training. If you are feeling brave check out "The Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness."

Not for the faint hearted.
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    http://exrx.net/ is great !! I was looking for something like this.

Thank you !
  • SoldierWife99
    Options
    I do a tae bo video (energy, strength & power) 3x's a week, with wrist & ankle weights. It's cardio and strength training all rolled into one happy 490(!) calorie burning session!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Push ups are awesome and so are lunges and squats. Pull ups are great too if you have a pull up bar. Pretty hard core but a full body workout.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I love pull ups. They are hard core, though.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest hitting all your muscle groups.
    chest press for your chest
    Military press for shoulders
    dips for triceps
    bent over rows for back
    hammer curls for bicep
    squat for quads
    lunges for hamstrings
    calf raises for calves
    planks for abs.
  • BeautyAndStrength50
    BeautyAndStrength50 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Try Jullian Michaels dvds I have 6 of them.. Started out with the 30 day shred.. AMAZING. lost my weight and gained muscle tone. She uses 3 pound weights and cardio mixed. She got me into shape to wear a bikini for the first time since ive had my kids thats been 23 yrs. Im 44 and feel better then what I ever have. I am struggling with my last 10 pounds thats one reason why I got on here to see if anyone can give me some advice..

Good luck with your journey. :):happy: