What Is Your Favorite Inspirational Quote

Options
Sometimes I'll read or hear a quote that sticks in my head to be counted on time after time when I need some inspiration. I thought it would be great for folks to share the one quote that really inspires them when nothing else does. For me, it's the following:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

I love because it's easy to get discouraged when things go awry or too cocky when we "win".

It reminds me that no battle is every permanently won or lost and that things can change on the turn of a dime. I was thinking about this today: that our issues, whatever they are, require constant vigilance and strength in order that we control them and not the other way around!

What's your favorite quote and why?

Replies

• Seasidedebbie
    Seasidedebbie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    "Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."
    – F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    read below....... :drinker:
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    "Do or do not. There is no 'try'."
    -Yoda
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    -Yoda

They don't come much better than this :-)
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    My two favorites are in my signature. I really like yours too!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    "Internet quotes are generally untrue."
    - Abraham Lincoln
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Go over, go under, go around, go through...never give up!

I am very personally attached to this one because of dramatic events that happened to me at a young age. People would ask me how I got through it all. At some point it occurred to me that they were asking me as if there were choices...live or give up... giving up never entered my mind or vocabulary. I don't know where this drive/will came from but it's 100% who I am.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    "There are no short cuts to any place worth going.."

"Try…and you will fail"

We use the verb try very much in our language. We use it to express a positive attitude towards executing something of which we’re not really sure about whether we’ll be successful at finishing it. At least, that’s the appearance it has. To try means to make an effort to do or accomplish something. With it we commit ourselves to the effort, but not to the result! Worse still the word try focuses more on failure than on success.

kinda sums up my new found determination. I have stopped trying and I am now doing!!

Ben.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    -Yoda

I like it! This one ^ pretty much says it all.

My favorite quote isn't inspirational, really. It's just my favorite quote:

"Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.' ~ Maya Angelou

My son actually uses this one me when I say something about him reading a comic book instead of a "book" book. LOL!
  • JanisMS
    Options
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Thank you for this quote. Life is a journey of successes and failures and it is uplifting to remember that neither is final or fatal.

We need to remember this perspective especially with losing weight and doing exercise. If we succeed and get t to our weight goal and stop doing what made us successful, we will gain the weight back. But equally as important, if we fall off the diet or skip exercising, it is never to late to start again.

It took me many years of trying to quit smoking but I finally succeeded at quitting and now call myself a nonsmoker. But I know that one day, a big stress may come that will make me remember that success is not final and I must still work to remain a nonsmoker. I am trying to use this success to motivate me with eating and exercise.
  • btrflyflutter
    btrflyflutter Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote was very inspirational to me growing up cause I knew when it was said I was in big TROUBLE!!

From the lips of my grandma, god rest her soul.....

"You better give your heart to God...cause your *kitten* is mine!"

:) I try to use it on my kids as much as possible!! LMAO!!!!!

Oh and my mothers way of quilting me was this quote : "Your going to hell in a handbag if you don't change your ways!"

Lovely motivating women......heheheheeeee
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    "Internet quotes are generally untrue."
    - Abraham Lincoln
    Abe was wise beyond his years. lol
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit." Aristotle
  • bbw265
    bbw265 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    -Yoda

SUPERB!!
  • bubbles079
    Options
    Do the best you can and let GOD do the rest. ( Grandma)

When I'm having a bad time I try to remember this "This to shall pass"
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Make up your mind to succeed and never give up.

Never settle for less than your best.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Simple one - No Excuses

also instead of it been practice makes perfect

it is perfect practice makes perfect
  • FatGoddessBecky
    FatGoddessBecky Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My two favorite quotes are;

'Even though we've changed and we're all finding out own place in the world, we all know that when the tears fall or the smile spreads across our face, we'll come to each other because no matter where this crazy world takes us, nothing will ever change so much to the point where we're not all still friends.'
    And...

'People often say that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder,' and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder. This empowers us to find beauty in places where others have not dared to look, including inside ourselves.'
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    "When you want success like you want air, then you shall succeed"

"Things are pretty, graceful, rich, elegant, handsome, but, until they speak to the imagination, not yet beautiful." - Ralph Waldo Emerson