How to calculate calories burned??

Options
So I started back my excersize today after stopping last week b/c I got a uti/bladder infection. I was feeling horrible & the excersize made it worse, so I stopped untill I was over it. However I have no clue how to calculate how many clories I burned while excerizing. I am doing the Walk Away the Pounds video series by Leslie Sansone. It is an awsome excersize. I would consider it Power Walking. I am just doing the 1 mile for this week & plan to add the fat burner end of this week or begining of next. As of right now I am very out of shape, so need to get my body used to this one 1st.

So, can anyone help me calculate how many calories that would be? It is a 15 minute 1 mile power walk. Thanks!

Replies

• staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    A cheap HRM is the best way and most accurate :-) x
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i weigh 188lbs and done teh 2 mile leslie sansome and i burned an average of 178 calories but youcant really go of other peples burn you need a more accurate one for your weight and height and the best way is a HRM where you input your weight height age etc x
  • dinareed
    dinareed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    A cheap HRM is the best way and most accurate :-) x

So do you recommend a brand? I bought a HRM from the Sharper Image, but apparently I'm dead 'cause I cannot get the darn thing to work. I'm probably going to take it back.
  • acfueler
    Options
    go to the exercise tab on this site and there will be a search bar, simply punch in what you did and it will search for the exercise, it will get pretty close, for example; brisk walk 4.0 miles and it should give you the calories burned....good luck!:wink:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    So I started back my excersize today after stopping last week b/c I got a uti/bladder infection. I was feeling horrible & the excersize made it worse, so I stopped untill I was over it. However I have no clue how to calculate how many clories I burned while excerizing. I am doing the Walk Away the Pounds video series by Leslie Sansone. It is an awsome excersize. I would consider it Power Walking. I am just doing the 1 mile for this week & plan to add the fat burner end of this week or begining of next. As of right now I am very out of shape, so need to get my body used to this one 1st.

So, can anyone help me calculate how many calories that would be? It is a 15 minute 1 mile power walk. Thanks!

Until you get the HRM, you can get an estimated reading by entering the information in the Exercise diary. Type walking and choose the speed that you think that is the closest to your workout, such 3.5 or 4 mph, or more. Enter the time that you exercised and the system will calculate the calories. The system already does it considering your profile (age, weight, hight, etc.).

It may not be as accurate as the information in the HRM, but it will give you an idea. Just don't eat all your exercises calories, to balance any excess in the readings.

I don't have an HRM so I use the MFP system for the loging of all my exercises. I already reached my goal and I am in maitenance.

Good luck!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I like my polar HRM. They have some pretty inexpensive versions.

I found the equipment in the gym always overestimated the calories lost so I like having my monitor on for exercise.
  • sophia_uk
    sophia_uk Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i have the polar ft4 - its awesome!
  • lowee40
    lowee40 Posts: 1
    Options
    I found this website you can use it to calculate your calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/154518-how-to-calculate-calories-burned