Some advice please!

runs4zen
runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, all you lady weight training dynamos...or soon to be lwtd's...I was hoping to get some advice.

Last year, my goal was to lose weight and this year it's to get toned. My tummy, rear and arms, in particular, though not hideous, are definitely not tight or buff in any way! I do yoga three times a week, but it's classical yoga so I'm not sure how tight anything is going to get....I'm not looking to do anything other than tone things up so they're not jiggly and/or FLAT, kwim? :laugh:
So....

1. What are some good, quick, do at home exercises that you have found to firm the arm, butt and stomach?

2. Please include how often you do them and the amount of reps

3. I have some handweights and don't mind buying more, but, I'd rather not invest in a bunch of equipment so using stairs, chairs, etc. would be great

4. Do you have a favorite website with exercises and how to do them?

Any other tips appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• dinareed
    dinareed Posts: 73 Member
    Okay, all you lady weight training dynamos...or soon to be lwtd's...I was hoping to get some advice.

Last year, my goal was to lose weight and this year it's to get toned. My tummy, rear and arms, in particular, though not hideous, are definitely not tight or buff in any way! I do yoga three times a week, but it's classical yoga so I'm not sure how tight anything is going to get....I'm not looking to do anything other than tone things up so they're not jiggly and/or FLAT, kwim? :laugh:
    So....

1. What are some good, quick, do at home exercises that you have found to firm the arm, butt and stomach?

2. Please include how often you do them and the amount of reps

3. I have some handweights and don't mind buying more, but, I'd rather not invest in a bunch of equipment so using stairs, chairs, etc. would be great

4. Do you have a favorite website with exercises and how to do them?

Any other tips appreciated! Thank you in advance!

I have an aerobic step that I use as a weight bench and some dumbells (2, 3, and 5 lb) weights. I do the following exercises 3x a week.
    Flat flye, flat press, incline flye, incline press (chest), seated overhead press, close bench press (triceps) Reverse overhead lateral, bent lateral (shoulders), Simultaneous standing curl, Alternate reverse curl (biceps), double arm bent row, seated back lateral (back) Squat, side leg lift, side leg raise (thighs, butt) seated straight toe raise, angled out calf raise, and standing straight toe raise (calves) and prone floor scissors, prone butt lift (butt) and crunches. I work each specific body part doing 1 set of 12 with 2 lbs, 1 set of 10 with 3 lbs, 1 set of 8 with 5 lbs then 1 set of 10 with 3 lbs, 1 set of 12 with 2 lbs. I got the workout from a Joyce Verdal book. I've been doing it for 4 weeks now and I am noticing that my bat wings are nearly gone and I'm starting to get some definition on my shoulders and upper abs. Also I have lost 2 inches off my waist, a 1/2 inch off my chest and an inch of my thighs. I don't necessarily follow the diet in her book, since I track what I eat on here...but I am consistent with the weights. The whole routine takes me about 50 minutes to an hour. She suggests starting with 1, 2, and 3 pound weights and I am up to 3, 5, and 8 for my lower body. For most women we probably won't go over 10 lbs when doing this routine.

Good luck! I hated it when I started, but I have grown to enjoy my weight lifting time, and I am definitely enjoying the way my clothes are starting to fit!
  • krisney
    krisney Posts: 56
    Pushups, pushups...I do a lot of pushups! I try for 100 a day; split them up into sets of 10 and "sprinkle" them through your day, or do them all at once (10 at a time though, with a small rest in between). It really doesn't take that long to get them done, maybe 7 minutes or less.

Same thing with squats.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Thanks, all!

Pushups...oy vey...I'll definitely need to work on that because my upper body strength...is non existent!

And, dinareed...Do you have the name of the Joyce Verdal book?

:bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.