Mirena the cause of weight gain and migraines?

Options
I wonder if others have experienced side effects with the new IUD, Mirena?
I get very debilitating migraines that seem related to my menstral cycle. I also have gained about 20 lbs since I got it. My weight was very stable at 150 (still about 10 lbs overweight) before getting it. The timing seems coincidental, but then again it is that middle age premenopausal thing rearing its ugly head? If anyone else has had symptoms they thought are related to Mirena, I would love to hear!

Replies

• Zumbalady808
    Options
    I've never had the Mirena installed but I can almost guarantee you it is part of the problem being a migraine suffer myself.... Your migraines seem to relate to your hormonal balance as mine do and of course does not the Mirene IUD release hormones, you may want to have it removed!!!!
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Other people have had success with it but I hated Mirena. I don't think I could handle the hormonal imbalance from it. It killed my energy levels and sex drive. I gained about 80 lbs in just one year whereas I only gained like 15 - 20 lbs with my pregnancies. I don't know about the headaches or not. I know I had a couple of bad migraines but no idea if that is related to that or not. It ended up coming out on its own, which when I called my doctor's office they said the massive side pain and bleeding I was experiencing had nothing at all to do with the IUD. I also had like really bad water retention during the time I was using it. It only took a couple of days after it was out and my energy levels were back to normal.

If you are having trouble with it I would try talking to your doctor and see what they say. If you truly don't want it or feel bad with it then I would have it taken out. Just my opinion.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've gained most of my own weight back when I started on hormonal birthcontrol (25 pounds in a year, I believe?) and during last summer I was having horrendous migraines... Hormonal birthcontrol can cause migraines. My sister had the same problem and just had her BC switched to a lower dosage, and that has helped. I only have 7 more months of pills to take and I'm done with birthcontrol forever.
    Mirena does release hormones, so maybe that wasn't the right bc choice?
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena but haven't experienced any of those side effects. I do have a friend who had a horrible experience with hers and had it removed and feels much better now that she doesn't have it in anymore.

you never had migraines before getting it?
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The Mirena does release hormones but in very small amounts so in theory they are mainly supposed to have an effect locally on the lining of the womb etc. This is in contrast to other hormone birth control methods such as injections or the pill which introduce higher levels of hormones into the body. However I am sure that if you searched the internet you would find accounts of women claiming similar symptoms to you. Were you given any information as to side effects when it was inserted? I would recommend that you visit your doctor to discuss the problems you have having with them.

I hope you manage to get this sorted soon.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I guess it's different for different people. I've had mine for nearly 5 years and I've never had a problem. I love it!
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    Every single person is different in how they react to medications................ I've had my Mirena in for 3 years now. I've have had really bad headaches (2-3 a month), but I don't believe they're related. Also, the hormone used is a progesterone, and the amount used is barely perceptible on blood tests. This was a key point for me, because one of the reasons I wanted to get off the pill -- I didn't want to be taking excess hormones anymore.

As for weight gain, I don't know, I was already way overweight when I had it and any weight I've gained is due to poor choices.
  • Susan76
    Susan76 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As others have said it's different for everyone. I had migraines (I suffer from them anyway, certain foods are triggers too). I had weight gain, but also lots of other side effects, I ended up w/a strep b infection in my uterus and had to have it removed....check with your dr.
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    Mirena also has a website with all the prescriber information if you want to check that out.

I hope you feel better, whether you have it out or not.:wink:
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have never had the mirena IUD, but sometimes even a low dose of hormone sucks to be on. When I was taking Yasmin (pill Not yaz) to help with my ovarian cysts I gained 30 pounds total in a year, After a while I changed to a lower dose pill and was still gaining weight so inspite of how sore my ovaries still were from having a cyst burst I quit taking it. hormones suck.

I now will not take any birthcontrol with hormones in it, I have the Copper IUD which instead of using hormones, something in the copper makes things a bit thicker so that nothing can swim if you know what I mean lol. Maybe that is a choice for you.
  • nuttybuttersmommy
    nuttybuttersmommy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am on mirena, and I have had no problems with it... But every one is different... Before mirena I tried the neuva ring, and with that I had major migrains... but the neuva ring has different chemicals in it than the mirena does... I would speek to your doc about the problems you are having...
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have had it for three years. I did have migraines before, but not so obviously tied to my cycle. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how low maintenance it is. But only recently thought that maybe it was the Mirena creating the difficulties..... It is expensive to put in, and I am not sold on the other birth control options out there... so I am reluctant to get it out, if it isn't the cause of the problems.

I guess I will just have to decide what I can live with!
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your feedback! I really do appreciate it!
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had it for almost 2 years and did not have weight gain. I did most of my weight loss with it still with me. I had it removed in December because it was causing too much spotting. Never had migraines with it. Had tubal ligation. No worries! Every body is different, I agree.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    110lbs. lost with the Mirena. No side effects here, especially not hormonal b/c the dose given through it is minimal.
  • jmhartman79
    Options
    I am a 34 year old 5' 1" female that has never weighed more than 110 pounds and have had the Mirena IUD for about nine months now and I am seriously considering getting it removed. Prior to this I had the hormone free Periguard IUD for ten years and loved it. With Mirena I have not stopped spotting since I got it, I gained about 25 pounds in a few months, loss of sex drive and am very emotional. After doing a lot of research and knowing how I felt with a hormone free IUD, I am convinced these are all side effects to this IUD for me. I have been dieting and exercising (some days more religiously more than others) for about six months now and I cannot shake this weight. And the worse thing is the emotional rollercoaster that goes with it. The other day someone wished me a "Merry Christmas" and I started crying. Which I am also contributing to the weight gain. The emotional stress causes me to lose energy and get depressed about the weight I have gained. I know everyone is different, but I strongly believe that since nothing else in my life has changed since March except for having this new IUD put in, it is a contributing factor to my weight gain and emotional stress.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second and love it. Best birth control ever. For me at least. No side effects except no period. But that's just me. I would talk to yout doctor. That's the only person who knows your medical history and can give you an educated answer realistically.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second and love it. Best birth control ever. For me at least. No side effects except no period. But that's just me. I would talk to yout doctor. That's the only person who knows your medical history and can give you an educated answer realistically.

^This
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My migraines also got very bad when I was on hormonal BC.
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    I've had the Mirena for over a year now and haven't had any side affects. I gained a lot of weight that can really be attributed to my horrible diet and no exercise. BUT I have had several friends get an IUD and absolutely HATE it. It's not for everyone, so if you think it's really messing with your body, it's probably a good idea to take it out.