Smoothie recipe!!

Options
lizf02
lizf02 Posts: 41
Hey everyone, I am searching for a good smoothie recipe! I have bought a blender and some frozen fruits (blueberries, strawberries and raspberries) and I am trying to find a recipe that tastes good and is good for me. I am open to all suggestions!! I really would like to know what a good base would be, milk, yogurt, orange juice...etc

I am thinking that the seeds are turning me off from the ones that I've made. :(

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would love to know of a good one as well! I have used one from Hungry Girl that's tasty and good for you, but it is "seedy" as you said. I'd almost like it to "feel" like a milkshake so I would trick my brain into thinking it's a nice treat!
  • lauraj1031
    Options
    Hi girls! One I made a lot last year was so easy and so tasty. I would use 1 cup frozen peaches or mangoes, 1/2 cup V8 Fusion Tropical Orange juice, and 1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt. Dump it in the blender, add some ice and blend. So tasty and it makes a lot! You could probably also use plain Greek yogurt and get a lot of extra protein, without the sugar in regular yogurt. I was making this last year before I had been introduced to Greek yogurt :-)
  • frisk72682
    frisk72682 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1 cup original almond milk
    1/2 cup pineapple (unsweetened frozen or in own juice in can)
    1 cutie brand orange
    1/2 banana
    1 fiber one vanilla yogurt container
    5 ice cubes

Blend all ingredients

190 calories

I know you have berries, but try this with the other fruits listed when those run out. The yogurt is good for you cause fiber one yogurt has fiber and protein in it. Very filling ; )
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    I use water as the base for my smoothies - depending on what else you add it still tastes creamy, and frozen fruit makes a thicker smoothie too.

I usually have: water (about 200mls), almond milk (I freeze it in ice-cube trays and use 2 frozen cubes - maybe 1/4 cup??), protein powder, a mix of fruit (current fave is half a banana, some strawberries and mango - usually frozen) and maybe some plain yoghurt (natural, no sugar). It's delicious!!

Another favourite is: water, protein powder, teaspoon of nut butter (peanut, cashew, whatever I have at the time), half a banana, frozen berries and a handful of spinach.
    The spinach changes the colour and the nutrients, but doesn't change the flavour. Try it!!
  • mustang52
    Options
    Hi There,

Here is one recipe that I got when I was going to TrueStar fitness: I have quite a few more, but this is the only one I memorized...my favourite:

Strawberry and Banana Smoothie

25grms of protien powder
    6 oz of water
    4 ice cubes
    1/2 cup whole strawberries
    1/4 medium banana

Place all ingredients in the blender and blend at high speed until smooth. Enjoy!

200 calories
    41% protien
    31% carbs
    27% fat

This tastes even better using strawberry/banana flavoured protien powder.
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe I've used many times:

1/2 to 1 cup fruit juice of choice (usually use 1/2 cup of apple)
    1 cup frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries) I usually use frozen strawberries
    1 banana
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons powdered protein

Pour 1/2 cup fruit juice in blender. Add berries, banana, yogurt, protein powder. Pulse the blender to mix. Then pulse again. Add more juice if needed.

Yield: 2 servings
    199.5 calories, 2 grams fat, 16 mg cholesterol, 15.5 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 73 mg sodium

It's delicious!
  • archer23
    Options
    Hi! i just started making smoothies too. Here's one I tried today and really liked - except you still have the seeds unfortunately.

6-8 frozen strawberries
    12-15 frozen raspberries
    1/4 cup of milk - I used 1%
    2-3 heaping tablespoons yogurt - use whatever you have :) I used BioBest probiotic plain yogurt
    1-2 large tablespoons applesauce
    1-2 tablespoons of honey

I mixed all the liquid ingredients then threw in the frozen berries and used an immersion blender (handheld) to mix it. Because the berries were frozen I didn't need ice cubes. It made a glass of about 8-10 ounces. I put half in the freezer and had the rest later as a sort of sorbet...mmmmm!
  • jayshann
    jayshann Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey Liz,
    Funny you ask I just made my favorite smoothie today. If you have a Aldi's store everything is real cheap also. You can buy all of the supplies to make about 25 smoothies for about $12

Mix
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 cup frozen pineapples
    1 full scoop frozen lowfat yogurt
    2 cups Nature's Nectar Blenz Strawberry & Banana juice (Aldi's version of V8 fusion)

Blend and Enjoy....makes 2-16 ounce servings.
    210 calories for 16 ounce serving...taste great
  • amelhia
    amelhia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im kinda chocoholic so i always use chocolate milk with frozen fruit
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies ALOT!!!! I always keep frozen bananas on hand (take the peel off before freezing). They end up in most smoothies I make.

I usually wing it, they look something like this:

1 frozen banana
    1 handful of mixed fruits (either tropical OR Berries)
    1 cup of ice cubes
    1 cup of original yougurt
    milk to provide consistency...

If I have used fruits that are not so sweet, I will add some fruit juice (I really love pina colada with the tropical fruits).

TIP: I have started to add fresh spinach to the smoothies (handful). This turns it green (and doesn't affect the taste) and it boosts calcium and protein! VERY healthy! Great to get some green stuff into the kids as well!
  • chris808
    Options
    Hi, here's a great mix which makes around 3/4 litre totalling around 650 calories. You can refrigerate it for around 12 hours if you want. It's great for breakfast, very healthy, great for your skin and really fills you up and tastes really nice. You need:

small cup of blueberries
    nectarine
    kiwi
    3x medium oranges
    half a lemon
    medium avocado

Peel the nectarine and the kiwi, chop into chunks and add to the blender with the blueberries. Cut the oranges in half and use one of those twisty things to juice them. Pour the juice in the blender and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and peel the skin off. Chop into chunks and add them to the mix. Now blend away for a good minute. When it's done the mix will be a really creamy light purple colour with bits of blueberries and kiwi seeds floating around. Pour and enjoy fresh!

Some notes - if you refrigerate the oranges, press and roll them on a hard surface before juicing, they give up more juice that way. Don't worry about the avocado, its fat is very healthy and great for your skin.

I'd be curious to know how you like it. Have fun.
    Chris
  • zumba66girl
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks.
  • dogsdogs
    dogsdogs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have been making Dr. Oz's green drink in the morning - lots of greens, cukes, celery. Have put in some yogurt for protein. It really tastes good.
  • lizf02
    lizf02 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I'm going to be busy with all these recipes :)

Liz
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    Here's one of my favourites

Description

A low fat, vitamin C-packed smoothie to start your day, from BBC Good Food
    Ingredients

7fl oz cranberry juices
    6oz frozen raspberries, defrosted
    3½fl oz milk
    7fl oz natural yogurt
    1tbsp caster sugar, or to taste
    mint sprigs, to serve
    Method

Place all the ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth.
    Pour into glasses and serve topped with fresh mint.
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    Forgot to add it's 100kcals